essential tremor

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
DGA
Former staff member

essential tremor

Post by DGA »

I was diagnosed with this some time ago. Basically, it means my hands & feet shake, and my voice sometimes sounds a little strange. I don't have Parkinson's. I just wiggle a little. It's inconvenient and sometimes embarrassing when I have trouble gripping something, or if my handwriting gets out of control. My grandfather had it too. He was able to use a tablesaw until he was about 85 years old, but it was scary toward the end.

There's not much that conventional medicine can offer on this except the usual things (stay healthy, avoid caffeine, manage stress, &c).

I'd like to know if anyone has any insights on this. with this and the migraines, you might understand why the vajra armor practice has a very strong appeal for me.

many thanks in advance.
conebeckham

Re: essential tremor

Post by conebeckham »

Alcohol manages it.

I'm serious.

I have a very wee bit of it, and have since I can recall....and I have it on authority (from a Dr, yes) that alcohol at medicinal levels helps. Of course, that implies a host of other potential pitfalls.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Jikan wrote:I was diagnosed with this some time ago. Basically, it means my hands & feet shake, and my voice sometimes sounds a little strange. I don't have Parkinson's. I just wiggle a little. It's inconvenient and sometimes embarrassing when I have trouble gripping something, or if my handwriting gets out of control. My grandfather had it too. He was able to use a tablesaw until he was about 85 years old, but it was scary toward the end.

There's not much that conventional medicine can offer on this except the usual things (stay healthy, avoid caffeine, manage stress, &c).

I'd like to know if anyone has any insights on this. with this and the migraines, you might understand why the vajra armor practice has a very strong appeal for me.

many thanks in advance.
It's a systemic wind disorder of the nervous system.

There are all kinds of things you can do to manage. daily self-massage, a little good wine everyday, etc.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Thank you both for the helpful information. I'm glad to know that the forms of self-medication I've picked up along the way (I've also been advised to imbibe gently but consistently) have some validity.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Jikan wrote:Thank you both for the helpful information. I'm glad to know that the forms of self-medication I've picked up along the way (I've also been advised to imbibe gently but consistently) have some validity.
There are also a number of effective herbal formulas you can take, pm me and we can talk.
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

I wish and pray that you'll find a solution which works for you!
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky
saraswati

Post by saraswati »

I too have essential tremor. The worse thing is having to explain to people, that it is not a scary, progressive condition, no big deal. When I speak in public, many people just assume I am very nervous when they see my hand shaking.

But I guess it is not a hugely heavy condition to have.

Interesting that Malcolm says it is linked to wind. I don't know much of Tibetan medicine but years back I've self-diagnosed as having a Vata imbalance according to Ayurveda.

I don't usually drink, but now that you guys think it may help I may start having a little bit. Off to raid the cupboard now.
Let yourself become that space that welcomes any experience without judgement.
- Tsoknyi Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

saraswati wrote:
Interesting that Malcolm says it is linked to wind. I don't know much of Tibetan medicine but years back I've self-diagnosed as having a Vata imbalance according to Ayurveda.

Yes, it is a vata/rlung condition connected with the nervous system or so called "white channels".
lorem

Post by lorem »

Jikan wrote:I was diagnosed with this some time ago. Basically, it means my hands & feet shake, and my voice sometimes sounds a little strange. I don't have Parkinson's. I just wiggle a little. It's inconvenient and sometimes embarrassing [...]
This is not about the tremor but about embarrassment. I would prob ask someone who had more knowledge but a while back I noticed the flushing and hot feeling of embarrassment is kind of like inner heat. I try to utilize it when I feel it. Vajra breathing, awareness, penetrate dantian, etc.

Hopefully Malcolm was able to help you.
I should be meditating.
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

I just finished watching these videos this morning. They are only accessible til Sunday.... nov 9

Dr Datis Kharrazian - The Gut-Brain Connection
phpBB [video]

http://brainhealthbook.com/datis-kharrazian/

https://www.facebook.com/kharrazianbrainbook

there is a neurological connection with the gut incl anything neurological, Parkinson, Alzheimers, etc

also:

Dr Alan Christianson - The Stress Cycle (The mind-body connection - resetting digestive health)

he talks about alternate nostril breathing to reset gut health... one of three practices

phpBB [video]
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”