Cause of Migraine

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Cause of Migraine

Post by Ayu »

Hi,
I figured out some mental-physical causes of my latest migraine attack already.

But I wonder if anyone heard about the karmic causes for migraine?

The causes for certain circumstances are listed somewhere, in the Palicanon or in other scriptures. For example: regular anger leads to uglyness... Such cause&effect list is in my mind and I'm wondering which misbehaviour leads to migraine? :thinking:
muni

Re: Cause of Migraine

Post by muni »

Hi Ayu, :smile:

I do not know a scripture but to worry is one example of an ideal method/trigger for it (like Oh my God, did I again something stupid, should I have harmed, how to avoid, and so on). The whole body-mind isn't relax, there is irritation and so. It seems to be so because thoughts are fixated/grasped and solidified, which leads to be lost in the flow of uptight ( I found uptight on wiki, hope it fits here) or charged experiences.

Oh this one is really one of my best to talk about while the box of painkillers is nearby.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Hi Ayu. I don't know if anger is a specific cause of migraine or not. But I do believe most physical ailments also have an underlying emotional, mental and/or spiritual cause. A human is like any other living thing, plant or animal & has to be looked after on a few different levels. You wouldn't expect an animal or plant to thrive if there was something lacking in its care & person is no different.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

:good:

The causes of migraine are many and various. They include dietary items. Both chocolate and cheese are notorious 'triggers' of the condition for example.
Other factors can be very much pertaining to a paericular individual. A former colleague had severe episodes if his bath was too hot...
But ultimately our divisions of bodily and mental phenomena are convenient conventions only.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

Is there any tension in your neck or the shoulder region?

Tension in these regions, built up over some time, unnoticed and not looked after, can cause migraine, too.
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Thank you folks. I didn"t have migraine anymore since about 9 years... And was eating chocolate and cheese all the years from time to time. :tongue:
There was no change in the physical circumstances now. That's why i'm interested in the mental-spiritual reasons that might be possible.
For me right now it could be possibly some kind of spiritual cleansing.
muni wrote:... Oh this one is really one of my best to talk about while the box of painkillers is nearby.
:smile: Hahaha, I could read that out of between the lines.
lesliejoyB

Post by lesliejoyB »

A migraine is a severe, painful headache that is often preceded or accompanied by sensory warning signs such as flashes of light, blind spots, tingling in the arms and legs, nausea, vomiting, and increased sensitivity to light and sound. The excruciating pain that migraines bring can last for hours or even days.

A migraine headache causes the sympathetic nervous system to respond with feelings of nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting. This response also delays the emptying of the stomach into the small intestine, decreases blood circulation, and increases sensitivity to light and sound.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

lesliejoyB wrote:A migraine is a severe, painful headache that is often preceded or accompanied by sensory warning signs such as flashes of light, blind spots, tingling in the arms and legs, nausea, vomiting, and increased sensitivity to light and sound. The excruciating pain that migraines bring can last for hours or even days.

A migraine headache causes the sympathetic nervous system to respond with feelings of nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting. This response also delays the emptying of the stomach into the small intestine, decreases blood circulation, and increases sensitivity to light and sound.
Yes.

Right here I would like us to share about possible causes. Especially I'm interested in mental or karmic causes.

I found out, if i stop having passively smoke of cannabis, which my band enjoys while rehearsal, my brain feels much better.
I just stop to breath as soon as they start to smoke. :smile:
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

"Right here I would like us to share about possible causes. Especially I'm interested in mental or karmic causes."

I'm thinking that migraines might be caused by Za/Rahula class spirits. I don't have time right now to go into my reasons for suggesting this. Perhaps later. So for now, just a thought.

I wonder what Malcolm would say about this?

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

pemachophel wrote:"Right here I would like us to share about possible causes. Especially I'm interested in mental or karmic causes."

I'm thinking that migraines might be caused by Za/Rahula class spirits. I don't have time right now to go into my reasons for suggesting this. Perhaps later. So for now, just a thought.

I wonder what Malcolm would say about this?

:namaste:
I'm bumping this because I've been a longtime migraine sufferer. Certain pharmaceuticals do help (I use a low dose of depakote). I would very much like to hear any further specifics anyone with knowledge of such things may have to offer. Thank you.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

From midteens to a few years ago (late 20's early 30's) I suffered 2-3 migraines a month. I found my causes were;
Too much Chocolate
Too much Coffee
Too much sugar
Lack of sleep
Too much sleep
Bad sleep
Broken sleep
Sleeping during the day
Stress
Grinding teeth (often due to stress)
Tension in neck in shoulders - often caused by muscle injury, lack of sleep or stress
Bright flashing lights (such as cameras)
Loud music or general noisy environments
Strong smells (I mean super-strong smells not just bad smells)
Excessive movements (roller coasters)
Travel sickness

Many of these I realised were triggers through insight during meditation, the rest were by noting down what I did during the previous 2 days (ate, drank, read, watched, slept etc) after a migraine attack. Until recently I hadn't had a migraine in years (had a bad nights sleep and trapped a nerve in my shoulder - two triggers right there). I may have more triggers which I just haven't noticed. Most of the time a migraine is triggered by more than one thing. My worst migraine ended with me past out on the floor not knowing who I was or what was going on and spending the night in the hospital - not much fun. :crying:

Hope that helps
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Many medics are now adding a new trigger to the list..overuse of computers.
I kid you not.

Its probably rsi making the neck and shoulders tense, plus the subliminal registering of the vdu images as they rapidly blink in and out.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

If the physical aids (pain killers, diet, etc...) are not working then I recommend the practice of Dorje Nampar Jompa / Dorje Namjom. A semi-wrathful form of Vajrasatva/Vajrapani. Turquoise coloured, holding a bell and crossed vajra. Wearing peaceful and wrathful ornaments. Normally sitting in vajra posture. This practice was recommended to me by a number of teachers for any ailments of the "head" region (strokes, headaches, epilepsy, etc...).

http://www.drukpachoegon.info/rinpoche- ... antra.aspx
Dorje Namjom摧破金刚.JPG
Dorje Namjom摧破金刚.JPG (506.39 KiB) Viewed 4900 times
PS I used the practice when I was suffering a three day headache/migrane, and it worked.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Ayu wrote:Hi,
I figured out some mental-physical causes of my latest migraine attack already.

But I wonder if anyone heard about the karmic causes for migraine?

The causes for certain circumstances are listed somewhere, in the Palicanon or in other scriptures. For example: regular anger leads to uglyness... Such cause&effect list is in my mind and I'm wondering which misbehaviour leads to migraine? :thinking:
This is the sutta you're talking about: MN 135, Cula-kammavibhanga Sutta: The Shorter Exposition of Kamma

I would classify having migraines as a "sickness" and if that's the case then this passage would apply:
MN 135 wrote:7. "Here, student, some woman or man is one who harms beings with his hands or with clods or with sticks or with knives. Due to having performed and completed such kammas, on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in a state of deprivation... If instead he comes to the human state, he is sickly wherever he is reborn. This is the way that leads to sickness, that is to say, to be one who harms beings with one's hands or with clods or with sticks or with knives.

8. "But here some woman or man is not one who harms beings with his hands, or with clods, or with sticks, or with knives. Due to having performed and completed such kammas, on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in a happy destination... If instead he comes to the human state, he is healthy wherever he is reborn. This is the way that leads to health, that is to say, not to be one who harms beings with his hands or with clods or with sticks or with knives.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”