YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The spoiled Under-30 crowd (one of those joke e-mails...) - Dhamma Wheel

The spoiled Under-30 crowd (one of those joke e-mails...)

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

The spoiled Under-30 crowd (one of those joke e-mails...)

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:35 am

Greetings,

I just came across the following... rather entertaining, though some of the language is a little colourful so apologies for that (but it's not too bad).

Metta,
Retro. :)

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... through the snow... through the desert... Barefoot... BOTH ways
. Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... Forever!

And you could never win.. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO REMOTES!!!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,

The Over 30 Crowd
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

tiltbillings

Re: The spoiled Under-30 crowd

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:52 am

The reality is that with the early 20's crowd, in general, there is a self-centered immaturity that tends to go away in one's 30's, I said, having yesterday been driven out of my lane and almost off the road by a 20 something eejit talking on her cell-phone totally oblivious to what she had just done, which a simple glance over her shoulder would have prevented, but would have interrupted the flow of her conversation.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: The spoiled Under-30 crowd

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:05 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Cittasanto

Re: The spoiled Under-30 crowd (one of those joke e-mails...)

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:38 am

Being just in the nder 30's catagory (10 month to go) Back home I think kids have it harder.

where I grew up there were sweet shops that sold sweets, and maybe a few essentials for the home when we ran out so I cold be sent, now there are shops which are mini supermarkets so the parents have to go with them becase the 50 brands of toilet tissues squeezen on the 2inch shelf will confuse them, and at one time the shop was only big enough for the local paper/ sweety shop???

yes we had to walk to the post box, but we also had to stand in dog poop on the way which gave us a good imune system, now the dogs have been given nappies, the kids are ill at the meer mention of a bug, and no more penny sweets which you chose yourself, now they are sealed in air tight containers you need to go to school for to work out how to open.

with health an safety all the rage they can only go out the door if they are wearing a buble suit fitted with airbags a safety belt, and a bumper so don't learn when it is unsafe to do something because it is always safe, so as adults they may die yonger due to inexperiance of the hazards of life and inability to find a bubble suit to fit them.

lets face it life isn't getting easier its far harder, all the kids now know how to do is play on the 3D life like grass, in the future human hands will be masive due to the muscle structure, the body will wither away, and humanity will just be a pair of hands with eyes on the tips!

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:54 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:24 pm

nathan

Postby nathan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:52 pm

I think the Sumerian ranting against the decline of culture was even better said. Anyways, look at it this way, they get to have the planet when the previous sage generations are done with it...
:toilet:
All I have to say is, when the music's over turn out the lights.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

zavk

Postby zavk » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:39 am

With metta,
zavk

nathan

Postby nathan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:46 am

I like to hang out whenever possible with groups of teenagers. They do, in fact, have it all figured out. Teenagers always have it all figured out. They are characteristically the only ones with the time to figure out what is going on. Everyone older, is getting on with it and has no time for this. That's just the way it goes. So at every opportunity I ask them, "whut up dog?" The 'word' is always very current and up to date, right to that moment. It is, of course, useless information the next day. Teenagers, use them or lose them.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

Ben

Postby Ben » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:58 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

nathan

Postby nathan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:08 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:53 am

Hi Nathan

Of course you can have a converstion with Jesus if you are one and the same person. Don't you ever talk to yourself? I do.
Look, I hear what you are saying when it comes to treating all people as equals. Some months ago i actually did a short stint relief for a vacation program, looking after kids from the ages of four to 13. It was fun but hard work.
I don't mind my current job and I don't think it has hardened me against teenagers. I just tend to think that having had kids and working closely with kids at a number of institutions, you get a perspective that is a little different to, say, the perspective you enjoy.
Looking back at my own adolescence, I can say in retrospect that I definitely didn't have it all worked out. I was confused, tormented and so totally focused on the minutae of my own misery that I am surprised I actually survived to adulthood.
Thankfully not many kids that i have contact with are going through a similar adolescence that I had. But what I have witnessed, and speaking of generalisations, is that the vast majority of teenagers are so self-absorbed that they are oblivious to others, generally, there is a lack of awareness of the impact of their actions and an unwillingness to take responsibility for their actions. I also see some kids who are having issues with sexual orientation and other psychological issues such as anorexia or self-harm.
Kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

cooran

Postby cooran » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:59 am

Hello Nathan,

Have you lived with the same young ones daily as they grew over the years from early teens to early twenties?

I think anyone who has had teenage children, and known their friends over the years, understands and sees the changes that come as they go through experiences, gain real knowledge of themselves and the world, and grow to maturity.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

nathan

Postby nathan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:21 pm

nathan

Postby nathan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:23 pm

nathan

Postby nathan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:27 pm

Oh yeah, and on the Jesus thing. I know I'm not jesus and I know the difference between talking or thinking to myself and talking or thinking to someone else. Jesus and I do talk and we are not the same person.
:anjali:

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:47 pm

nathan

Postby nathan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:30 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:48 pm

nathan

Postby nathan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:46 pm

Return to “Lounge”