Opinions on the Consequences of Chinese Occupation of Tibet

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
mañjughoṣamaṇi

Re: Opinions on the Consequences of Chinese Occupation of Ti

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi »

According to the Tibetan Chinese language blogger Woeser, Elliot Sperling was detained upon entering China and had his visa cancelled.

The Chinese tweets are:
国际著名藏学家、美国印第安纳大学中亚研究系教授Elliot Sperling(艾略特·史伯岭)先生,7月5日下午抵达北京首都国际机场,不但被拒绝入境,且被中国警察带到小房间拍照、盘问,禁止使用手机,上厕所被跟,扣留1个半小时,并被改原机票返回日期。史伯岭先生不得不登机返回。(1)

藏学家Elliot Sperling(艾略特·史伯岭)先生在北京首都国际机场询问被拒绝入境的原因,中国警察称不能(或不可)告诉。对这张被打上醒目黑叉的签证,史伯岭先生幽默地说:“热烈恭贺史伯岭获得中共授予外国人的人权奖!”(2) Image

藏学家Elliot Sperling(艾略特·史伯岭)先生被中国拒绝入境,据他分析主要原因不是因为他有关西藏问题的观点和研究,而是因为他作为伊力哈木·土赫提的挚友,与伊力哈木的关系。中国政府并不愿意有人说伊力哈木无罪,不愿意否认他们给伊力哈木制造的冤案,不愿意有人为他声援。(3)
She reports speculation that this has to do with his friendship with the Uyghur public figure, Ilham Tohti.
སེམས་རྣམ་པར་གྲོལ་བར་བྱའི་ཕྱིར་བྱམས་པ་བསྒོམ་པར་བྱའོ།
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Osho wrote:As have I Malcolm, as have I.
Possibly best that all concerned do likewise and then make up their own minds.
Propaganda thrives on ignorance.
:smile:
Possibly best that all ignorant propagandists stop posting on this thread.
:smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

it might also have something to do with his writings on Tibet, at least one of which is a popularly-accessible work making hash of Chinese propaganda.

Also, his name appears on the Dalai-Lama supported "Committee of 100 for Tibet."
(no longer participating on this board)
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
theanarchist wrote:My guess is that Tibet will take the same route that the native Americans in south America have taken after the Spanish and Portugese conquest.
Or, just as likely, the same route that the Native Americans of Northern America, or the Aborigines of Australia, or... have.
The Australian Aborigines and American Indians were utterly defeated. More recently some of them have begun essentially following their own paths again (once the oppressors quit kidnapping and brainwashing them - imagine that).

Some of the tribes in Central America retreated into the jungle and have essentially created their own societies. The Chinese will not permit the Tibetans to do this.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Off topic posts removed.

Please stay on topic and refrain from ad hom statements.

Thank you.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Sorry folks for butting in and taking on the lame role of the Devil's Advocate's Advocate, but I don't think Ven Indrajala is a troll or a Chinese shill.

I think his position is ideologically consistent with his earlier ones and his disinterest in human stories as opposed to 'the big picture' as he sees it. I just hope he saves everyone (and himself) the trouble and withdraws from participation in this topic on which he's made his views abundantly clear.

Metta to all.

_/|\_
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Since people are completely incapable of staying on topic and I am sick of having to remove posts I will lock this thread and keep it locked until somebody comes up with a REALLY good reason for reopening it.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Lounge”