Dharma Near Disneyland

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Ghid

Dharma Near Disneyland

Post by Ghid »

I'm a sixteen year old girl. Next school year I will be a sophomore in high school.

I live in California in the United States.

In the seventh grade, I learned some things about Buddhism. A friend of mine has told me more about Buddhism. He calls it the Dharma.

In school I learned about the Eight Fold Path. My friend divides the Eight Parts into three groups, wisdom, morality and meditation.

In the wisdom group, he has Right View, which is understanding things as they are and seeing a thing in its true nature without name and label .

He also has Right Intention, which is somehow related to finding the wisdom to see things as they are.

In the morality, he puts Steps four through six. I'm Catholic, so to me they read like a list of commandment. I know that they are not commandments, but don't know what else to call them.

Right speach is about no fraud, perjury, slander, vugarity, or gossip while speaking or listening.

Right Action is about no no killing, stealing, misusing sex, lying, abusing intoxicants.

Right Livelihood is about no selling weapons, slaves, meat, intoxicants, or poison.

Right Effort is about dealing with one's own greed, anger, ignorance, and nurturing one's own generosity, loving kindness, and wisdom.

I understand least, the meditation part, which deals with Steps seven and eight, except that I think they deal with exercises to clear the mind to help see things as they are.

It sort of forms a circle. This site as cool smilies. Seems like I should post one. But I don't know which would be appropiate.

:smile: :smile: :smile: So I'll post three.

Ghid
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Dharma Near Disneyland

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:reading:
Ghid

Post by Ghid »

Thank you

:smile:
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

So far so good with your understanding. Keep going. I hope our various discussions don't confuse you, you seem to be on track without us. :namaste:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Ghid

Post by Ghid »

Thank you,

And :namaste:

Cool smiley, I had missed the namastae on the bottom.
Ghid

Post by Ghid »

I found a copy of Dr Snyder's book, The Complete Book of Buddha‘s Lists --Explained :reading:

Turns out the good Dr Snyder was born in a Year of the Tiger, just like me. Totally cool. :thumbsup: I don't think of myself as a cat, more like a kitten. I chase my tail in a circle, something like the Eight Steps.

I had noticed that Buddhism has lots of lists. I like lists. When Buddha asks me if I have detatched from my stuff, I might need say, "Well sir, everything but my Miley Cyrus tickets and my lists." And then I'll be a jackrabbit in Arizona. :stirthepot:

Ghid :namaste:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Welcome Ghid! :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

Welcome Ghid :smile:
Ghid

Post by Ghid »

Thanks to all.

:namaste:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi Ghid,

Welcome to DharmaWheel! I've enjoyed your posts so far...
Ghid

Post by Ghid »

Jikan wrote:Hi Ghid,

Welcome to DharmaWheel! I've enjoyed your posts so far...
Thank you Mr Jikan, thank you vry much

For you I write a haiku.

Once upon a when,
A where and a how, a what
Found a who on first.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Once upon a when,
Found a who on first.
:applause: :bow:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Ghid

Post by Ghid »

smcj wrote:
Once upon a when,
Found a who on first.
:applause: :bow:
Thank you again.

Return to “Introductions”