Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen

kalden yungdrung

Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek Sakyapas, :)

Attempting contemplative practices without a clear understanding of the body is like trying to milk an animal by its horns." Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen.

This phrase seems to be a part of the Samputa explanatory tantra.

Would like to know more about the meaning of "understanding that body".
About what body do we speak here?

Thanks in advance for your attention and effort.

Best wishes for our individual practice. :D

Mutosg Marro
Kalden Yungdrung
The best meditation is no meditation
Mr. G

Re: Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen

Post by Mr. G »

I'm guessing when he says "body" he means manipulating the winds, channels.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
kalden yungdrung

mr. gordo wrote:I'm guessing when he says "body" he means manipulating the winds, channels.

Tashi delek Mr. Gordo, :)

Thanks for your reply.

Are you sure about it, that here is meant with "Body" the Yogic Body with its Lung etc? :o
I like to be very sure about this, because it was asked by someone who did miss the Tibetan text.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Best wishes
Kalden Yungdrung
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

kalden yungdrung wrote:
mr. gordo wrote:I'm guessing when he says "body" he means manipulating the winds, channels.

Tashi delek Mr. Gordo, :)

Thanks for your reply.

Are you sure about it, that here is meant with "Body" the Yogic Body with its Lung etc? :o
I like to be very sure about this, because it was asked by someone who did miss the Tibetan text.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Best wishes
Kalden Yungdrung
Hi kalden,

Nope, I'm not sure which is why I said I'm guessing. :smile: Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

FWIW I agree with Mr Gordo's idea :)

Best,
Laura
kalden yungdrung

Tashi delek, :)

Everybody thanks for the done effort and attention.

Mutsog Marro
KY
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

A Condensed Biography of Jetsun Drakpa Gyaltsen
Jetsun Drakpa Gyaltsen (rje btsun grags pa rgyal mtshan) of the aristocratic Khon family was the third Sakya Jetsun Gongma Nga (sa skya rje btsun gong ma lnga), the men who were credited with founding the Sakya order. He was also the Fifth Sakya Tridzin (tri dzin) or throne holder. His father Sachen Kunga Nyingpo (sa chen kun dga' snying po, 1092-1158) and his elder brother Sonam Tsemo (bsod nams rtse mo, 1142-1182) were the first and second Sakya patriarchs. His mother was called Machig Odron (ma gcig 'od sgron). Like his father and elder brother, Drakpa Gyaltsen was not a monk. He received lay vows from his teacher Dawa Gyaltsen (zla ba rgyal mtshan) when he was eight years old and was known for his close observance of the vows. Biographical accounts indicate that he wished to receive full ordination but never did. Throughout his life most of his close disciples were monks and he encouraged strict observance of their monastic vows. As an indication of his reverence for the monastic robes, he is recorded to have personally served all the Sakya monks tea during the bimonthly ceremony to purify monastic vows. He also abstained from meat and alcohol except during special ritual occasions.
There are also several famous accounts of miraculous adventures involving drakpa Gyaltsen and the Kashmiri teacher Shakya Shri Badhra, which describe Drakpa Gyaltsen's ability to suspend his ritual instruments in midair. He is also recorded to have correctly predicted that his nephew Sakya Pandita would play an important role in Tibetan-Mongolian relations.

Drakpa Gyaltsen was the official Sakya throne holder for forty-three years and effectively headed the monastery for fifty-seven years, from age thirteen till his death at nearly seventy. Despite the great wealth that passed through his hands as the Sakya throne holder, his biographers claim that he did not accumulate material wealth and when he passed away he possessed only his robe and meditation cushion.
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Sakya”