Question

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
theanarchist

Re: Question

Post by theanarchist »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:[

What is ones relationship to the sambogakaya prior to enlightenment then..i.e. for the purpose of the conversation, I guess what i'm asking is are Yidam etc. "the real thing" prior to this, or just our imagination on our side?

They are the real thing, but you are not able to perceive them that way.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:The expert faker becomes an actual expert, but he just actualizes the Buddha Nature right...I mean, the Sambogakaya is not a thing substantially seperate from oneself right?
It is both a part of oneself and not.

Each sentient beings has dharmakāya as their buddhanature from the start. When that is realized, then one can manifest the sambhogakāya and the nirmanakāya.

What is ones relationship to the sambogakaya prior to enlightenment then..i.e. for the purpose of the conversation, I guess what i'm asking is are Yidam etc. "the real thing" prior to this, or just our imagination on our side?
Prior to attaining the 8th bhumi, the only way you can relate to the Sambhogakāya is through a practice lineage.

The yidams are sambhogakāya manifestations to mahāsiddhis, who then develop the method connected with that manifestation and set that method down in a tantra.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

I just found this reply in my drafts folder, thought I should share it now. . . sorry I didn't post it in a timely way. . .
Jigme Tsultrim wrote: If perfecting a visualization of a being which represents a higher attribute, such as compassion, and then believing that the being merges with oneself, and this produces the desired result of perfecting the compassionate nature of the practitioner, then the ultimate nature of that being , whether a wisdom deity or a creation of one's practice, is empty.
The ultimate nature of that being should always be discerned as empty, whether a wisdom deity or one's own visualization. However, our own self should not be considered any less empty. The practice should lessen our own self-grasping, but in so doing it shouldn't develop in us a new attachment to form. That is why we always dissolve the deity into emptiness and meditate on that at the end of the session.
In that sense this could be seen as a kind of self hypnosis.
It's not self-hypnosis, it does correspond to a relatively "real" wisdom being, and the mantra along with the visualization harmonizes our energetic field with that of the wisdom being, so we can receive the blessings and help them radiate to other suffering beings in need. And again, by identifying with the Wisdom being we also loosen our grasping to our own habitual identity.
Such a view in no way diminishes the value of the practice.
It misconstrues it, which will diminish it's effectiveness, the correct view is part of the deal.
So does the nature or lack thereof of one's self require input from an outside source to improve, or is perfection the responsibility of the practitioner?
While we are still bound by the dualistic fixation of outer and inner, self and other, and so on, we will need a mirror to help us discern our true nature. The qualified Guru acts as the mirror up until we can discern it without their assistance. That's a Dzogchen perspective anyway.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Jigme Tsultrim wrote:I would like individuals to think about dogmatism and theism in their own practice and beliefs.
I have. I'm ok with it. Just because there is a christian equivalent that we all had a disastrous experience with doesn't mean that those things are intrinsically objectionable. I know lots of guys (and gals) that had terrible first marriages and then found happiness in their second. If they had a phobia about marriage they'd never have found happiness. I think we need to get over our phobias and hangups about Christianity in order to have a healthy Dharma practice.
Jigme Tsultrim wrote:
smcj wrote: The visualization process initially utilizes your imagination. That's the samaya-sattva, which is just your imagination. Then the jnana-sattva, the wisdom deity, merges with your imagined one. So you definitely start with just your imagination.
Ok, look, I've had these teachings so this is not news that such a belief exists. OK?
OK.
I am asserting that there could be no distinction between the "wisdom deity" and the result one's perfected and polished ability to visualize.
Sounds like you don't like the idea of the wisdom deity.
If perfecting a visualization of a being which represents a higher attribute, such as compassion, and then believing that the being merges with oneself, and this produces the desired result of perfecting the compassionate nature of the practitioner...

Well if it works it works. You can't argue with success. The question is; will it work with that approach?
...then the ultimate nature of that being , whether a wisdom deity or a creation of one's practice, is empty.
All manifest phenomena are self-empty. You are self-empty. That doesn't mean you don't exist at all.
In that sense this could be seen as a kind of self hypnosis. Such a view in no way diminishes the value of the practice.
You might want to run all this by your lama.
So does the nature or lack thereof of one's self require input from an outside source to improve, or is perfection the responsibility of the practitioner?
It is always the responsibility of the practitioner, regardless of the nature of the deity. The real question is: Is it possible to get a bit of help with the project? If you don't want the help, then you might as well practice the Shravakayana or non-tantric Mahayana. Those definitely are "you're on your own" paths (except Pure Land, etc.).
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

I would say I regularly experience Amida Buddha, without some advanced attainment in visualization or self-hypnosis techniques.
To me, "Other" Power is such from the perspective of what I ordinarily call "myself" thus showing the emptiness of these things, as with other deity practices.
So I'm not sure what to make of antagonism towards theism in Buddhism.
It's also hard to talk about these things when every word in a sentence like "deities don't exist" is ambiguous.
Namu Amida Butsu
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Jigme Tsultrim wrote:
Ok, look, I've had these teachings so this is not news that such a belief exists. OK? I am asserting that there could be no distinction between the "wisdom deity" and the result one's perfected and polished ability to visualize. If perfecting a visualization of a being which represents a higher attribute, such as compassion, and then believing that the being merges with oneself, and this produces the desired result of perfecting the compassionate nature of the practitioner, then the ultimate nature of that being , whether a wisdom deity or a creation of one's practice, is empty. In that sense this could be seen as a kind of self hypnosis. Such a view in no way diminishes the value of the practice.
If you can keep a non-attached mind, that is a practice.

I don't know about dieties (gods). I know there are Bodhisattvas and Buddhas who made various vows throughout their career, for example, by reciting their names, you get their blessings. By reciting a Buddha, you are reciting your own Buddha. If you have the courage and conviction to invoke your own Buddha, more power to you.
It’s eye blinking.
Jigme Tsultrim

Post by Jigme Tsultrim »

"If you can keep a non-attached mind, that is a practice. " Indeed.
hop.pala

Post by hop.pala »

If one way is the case we are attuning ourselves to the existence of a being that existed apart from our perception of it. In the other case, it is a useful projection created by our intent.
If i dont know something i search it by the Theosophie,and now it is clear now.The allegation of Theosophie that it is on the mental level .
That is the non-corporal world is perceivable by the upper part of the mental level.Mental body is the human-hop.pala,and Jigme Tsulrim-so it is yet not the direct perception.
It is not suprising,the hindus say the same(it is below Atman).
The buddhism ?The noncorporal world in the Jhanas,therefore (deva) the same all.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”