Mantras

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
naljor

Mantras

Post by naljor »

Hallo all, which mantras you recite daily without following sadhana or visualization?
ngodrup

Re: Mantras

Post by ngodrup »

Generally speaking, you could recite Sutric or peaceful mantras.
Examples: Buddha Shakyamuni, Medicine Buddha, Amitabha...
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

My understanding is that visualization is needed for the mantra to work. It's not needed to perfectly visualize the deity, just have a sense of the deity existing in front of you.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
naljor

Post by naljor »

Thank you, I ask because I have some transmissions of mantras, for example Dzambhala or short Namgyalma mantra or three kaya mantras without any other instructions for practice
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

naljor wrote:Thank you, I ask because I have some transmissions of mantras, for example Dzambhala or short Namgyalma mantra or three kaya mantras without any other instructions for practice
What I do is visualize the deity in front of myself and recite the mantras to the deity.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

There is a tradition of reciting "Zungs" or Dharanis, long mantras, for purposes, but without really any sort of visualization...some mantras are recited for purification, protection, transformation, multiplication......but they all have specific purposes, even if they are not "deity yoga" practices per se. For instance, the Namgyalma Zung, and the short mantra, bless Vase water and charge it with powers of longevity.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

conebeckham wrote:There is a tradition of reciting "Zungs" or Dharanis, long mantras, for purposes, but without really any sort of visualization...some mantras are recited for purification, protection, transformation, multiplication......but they all have specific purposes, even if they are not "deity yoga" practices per se.
Oh! So is that the difference between mantras and dharanis?

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I think a Dharani is a type of mantra, a longer mantra....some would say it is more like a "spell." I'm not sure I agree with that--it's maybe a partial definition.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
naljor

Post by naljor »

Thank you, I have also question about sutra mantras transmission, why it is said that it is not necessary to have lung for sutra mantras, while in vajrayana teachers says without lung there is no live in mantra, of course I know very well the difference between sutra and tantra vehicles, but this is not clear to me
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Example Amitayus:

Mantra:
OM AMA RANI DZI WAN TAYE SOHA

Zung:
OM NAMO BHAGAVATE APARIMITA AYUR JÑANA SUPINISH CHITATAYE JORA JAYA
TATHAGATAYA ARHATE SAMYAK SAM BUDDHAYA TAD YA THA OM PUNYE PUNYE
MAHA PUNYE APARIMITA PUNYE AYU PUNYE MAHA PUNYE AYUR JÑANA
SARVA RUPA SIDDHI AYUR JÑANA KE CHE BHRUM OM BHRUM AH BHRUM
SVA BHRUM HA BHRUM CHE BHRUM OM SARVA SAMSKARA PARI SHUDDHA
DHARMATE GAGANA SAMUDGATE SVABHAVA VISHUDDHE MAHA NAYA PARIVARA YE SVAHA
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Lung for Sutra is given.
Pero

Post by Pero »

ngodrup wrote:Lung for Sutra is given.
Yes but why isn't it required?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Who says?
Traditionally any text you study requires lung.
Lamas won't give lungs for Sutras if they haven't themselves received it.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Namu Amida Butsu, or sometimes just Amitabha.
I try to keep it going constantly.
Namu Amida Butsu
Pero

Post by Pero »

ngodrup wrote:Who says?
Traditionally any text you study requires lung.
Lamas won't give lungs for Sutras if they haven't themselves received it.
Well I cannot remember a single time that I have heard or read anywhere "to read this sutra you need a lung" or "to recite this mantra from this sutra you need a lung" or anything like that so I concluded that you do not need a lung.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
lobster

Post by lobster »

The last few days, the mantra has been HIG HIG HIGEDDY HO.

However it changes a lot according to circumstance. OM MANE PEME HUM I use a lot. OM YA HA HUM and in a formal setting to keep the family amused I might chant Migtsema, Guru Rinpoche, Medicine Buddha or something that does not scare the squirrels . . . for example WOO HU :woohoo:
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Pero:
Consider how few were literate. One didn't just go into the library and read a book.
The Buddha and his followers spoke the Sutras, memorized them, recited them.
Sutric lineage does not mean who read what, but who heard what from whom.
After you hear the sutra, then you could read it. Same for Shastras whether Shantideva,
Asangha or even Gampopa or Je Tsongkhapa. If you attend a teaching by the Lama, the
root text is read by him or her-- along with the commentary. Or You might simply have
the text read to you. Even Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, for example, is said to have sought out
the lungs for even just a few words of a text that he had not heard. That is lineage.
With lineage you can study and practice to receive the "lineage of realization" otherwise,
you just have the words.

Now you *can* read a text without lung, but lung is very much encouraged, otherwise
you're on your own. Just like you cannot give vows (which come from sutras) you don't have,
you cannot give lungs for texts if you didn't hear it from a lineage holder of that text. And if you
are a translator, absolutely, you get the lung of the book you are translating-- along with the
relevant commentaries.
Maybe this way is not maintained in non-Tibetan systems, but it is in Tibetan Buddhism.
Reibeam
Location: On the Western continent In the mountains close to space

Post by Reibeam »

ngodrup wrote:Pero:
Consider how few were literate. One didn't just go into the library and read a book.
The Buddha and his followers spoke the Sutras, memorized them, recited them.
Sutric lineage does not mean who read what, but who heard what from whom.
After you hear the sutra, then you could read it. Same for Shastras whether Shantideva,
Asangha or even Gampopa or Je Tsongkhapa. If you attend a teaching by the Lama, the
root text is read by him or her-- along with the commentary. Or You might simply have
the text read to you. Even Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, for example, is said to have sought out
the lungs for even just a few words of a text that he had not heard. That is lineage.
With lineage you can study and practice to receive the "lineage of realization" otherwise,
you just have the words.

Now you *can* read a text without lung, but lung is very much encouraged, otherwise
you're on your own. Just like you cannot give vows (which come from sutras) you don't have,
you cannot give lungs for texts if you didn't hear it from a lineage holder of that text. And if you
are a translator, absolutely, you get the lung of the book you are translating-- along with the
relevant commentaries.
Maybe this way is not maintained in non-Tibetan systems, but it is in Tibetan Buddhism.

"Thus I Have Heard" as apposed to "Thus I Have Read"
kong zen

Post by kong zen »

Recite the mantra is need guidance,
It is best not to blind practice,
Need to have a teacher guide,
Best to read buddhist scriptures,
After understanding the fundamental teachings of Buddhism, in practice,
So as not to make mistakes,
:anjali:
Last edited by Grigoris on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed commercial link

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”