"Dharma practice atmospere"

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Gyaltsen Tashi

"Dharma practice atmospere"

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

"First to become a dharma practitioner, it is really important to create a condition of dharma practice. I am not alking about meditation cushion and you know like incense and all that. That, you know these are not important but you can have it also, if you want. I am talking about creating the habit of Dharma practice - so creating the world, creating the universe. Obviously, we can't go round and make the whole universe and the whole world physically Buddhist sort of dharma-friendly universe. No that we can't. Culture, also dharma culture -we need to develop. And I think that's one very important aspects of ngondro - to create that. To create that atmosphere, okay so keep that in mind first. Okay we will visit this later."

Dzongsar Rinpoche, Advice on Ngondro

How do you create this "Dharma practice atmosphere"?

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi
Simon E.

Re: "Dharma practice atmospere"

Post by Simon E. »

With regularity and persistence...drop by drop.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

I think Rinpoche is pointing toward the importance of support.
You support yourself by daily habit of practice, you support yourself
with good teachers and vajra brothers and sisters who drank from
the same bumpa and sincerely practice the same lineage. When you
practice together some space is created that really makes a difference.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Framing a clear intention and then (here's the hard part) sticking to it, through thick and thin, goes a long way I think to creating solid dharma practice conditions.

My teacher, Anam Thubten Rinpoche, used to say that dropping belief in all stories was the way to go, but if you must believe in something, believe in the story of enlightenment. :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

I think there is something to be said for the people who you let into your life. Are they a positive support or a detraction? I'm not saying to shut people out but we all know the people who dissuade us from practicing and encourage harmful behavior. To me it is an important first step to limit or eliminate contact with such people.
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

This is so hard to accomplish. I guess thats what masters mean when they say that "abandoning your homeland is half of the way to buddhahood"
theanarchist

Post by theanarchist »

I guess it's easier around other people who are already going that way.

Just like it's easier to become a drug addict if you spend your time hanging out with people who already are. Probably that's why we take refuge in buddha, dharma AND SANGHA.

There is just one problem with western buddhist groups in that respect. I find them even more distracting from the actual dharma than worldly people because there is so much worldly attitude and neurosis going on there that is sold as dharma attitude., which I find rather offputting and "despiring".
Gyaltsen Tashi

Re: "Dharma practice atmosphere"

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

theanarchist wrote:I guess it's easier around other people who are already going that way.

Just like it's easier to become a drug addict if you spend your time hanging out with people who already are. Probably that's why we take refuge in buddha, dharma AND SANGHA.

There is just one problem with western buddhist groups in that respect. I find them even more distracting from the actual dharma than worldly people because there is so much worldly attitude and neurosis going on there that is sold as dharma attitude., which I find rather offputting and "despiring".
I mostly practice alone.

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi

P.S. Sorry for the typo in the title.
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

theanarchist wrote:I guess it's easier around other people who are already going that way.

I think we only take refuge in the realised sangha, not the ordinary one.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Karma_Yeshe wrote:I think we only take refuge in the realised sangha, not the ordinary one.
We take refuge in all levels of sangha: bodhisattva, arhat, monastic, lay, etc...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I've been taught that an excellent way to create this kind of atmosphere is to carry it with you at all times in your conduct, as best you can. With practice, you can slowly transform all situations and all relationships into Dharmically significant ones. It's less about the kind of carpet on the floor or the cut of your Dharma-clothes, than it is about the content of your conduct.

That said, if anyone would like to make a financial or material contribution toward getting my robes mended and dry-cleaned, or buying some practice supports like incense and ritual instruments, or other outward "atmospheric" expressions--I assure you I have not been taught to decline such help! :lol:
Gyaltsen Tashi

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

What to do when you feel like slacking off?

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Karma_Yeshe wrote:I think we only take refuge in the realised sangha, not the ordinary one.
We take refuge in all levels of sangha: bodhisattva, arhat, monastic, lay, etc...
If it is OT, you can split the tread, but your opinion does not seem right. Who is ment by "we"? At least rigpawiki supports my understanding: "According to the Mahayana teachings, the sangha that is included within the Three Jewels as an object of refuge is the noble sangha, i.e., those who have reached the path of seeing and beyond." http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Sangha.
Also I just checked Gampopas Jewel Ornament of Liberation where in chapter 8 he clearly distinguishes between ordinary and special objects of refuge. In the latter one, no ordinary pracitioners are included. He then goes on to explain that ulimately only the Buddha is the refuge, because without him, there would be no Dharma and since the members of the ordinary sangha take refuge in the Buddha themselves, they, too, can't be ulimate objects of refuge. So I think your statement is somehow oversimplistic.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Gyaltsen Tashi wrote:What to do when you feel like slacking off?

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi

The Adidas logo says it as well as anything...Just Do It. No magic. No devices. No ifs or buts.
Just Do it.

Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

Simon E. wrote:

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi

The Adidas logo says it as well as anything...Just Do It. No magic. No devices. No ifs or buts.
Just Do it.
I agree with you, but it's Nike, not Adidas. :coffee:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Simon E. wrote:

Just Do it.
Which is also literally what HE Luding Khen Rinpoche told me.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Jacqui

Post by Jacqui »

When I read this passage, I think that it's pointing to integrating practice into life - not just practicing with the help of external supports like cushions, incense, or even community, although they definitely can help. To me, it means having that support of consistent practice and also remembering the view in whatever situation arises. Maybe it means constantly turning toward the dharma, having that "atmosphere" no matter what happens?
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

kirtu wrote:
Simon E. wrote:

Just Do it.
Which is also literally what HE Luding Khen Rinpoche told me.

Kirt

And what CTR told me... :smile:

lobster

Post by lobster »

How do you create this "Dharma practice atmosphere"?
:twothumbsup:

A very good question. My recommendation would be everywhere and sideways and twice on Sundays.

In other words you use everything you can and have. If anyone knows a simpler way to give up the non essential . . . then we are all ears . . . well some of us are deformed that way . . . :popcorn:
Gyaltsen Tashi

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

Are you trying to make fun of me?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”