YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The danger of intolerance - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

The danger of intolerance

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Rhino

Re: The danger of intolerance

Postby Rhino » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:01 am

With best wishes

Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha's Teaching.

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:43 am

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

Rhino

Postby Rhino » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:10 pm

With best wishes

Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha's Teaching.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:16 pm

I like the approach this great website takes:

http://www.justbegood.net/

see also at that site:

http://justbegood.net/AnyoneHeaven.htm

Notice how the whole theme is on tolerance and how anyone can get to heaven. There is not an outright all-inclusiveness, all-is-one new age to it either. It is focusing on the tolerance and positive aspects of Buddhism.

And it also mentions, "this current global age of clashing ideologies, fanatical strife and senseless violence " without bashing any particular, specific religion or religion in general.

I think this is a productive and wholesome approach. Of course there are differences between religions and of course both religion and non-religion have provided strife and violence, but this site (Just Be Good) focuses on the positive and how Buddhism differs from other philosophies, but without bashing those other philosophies. I'm not saying anyone has, just making general observations about the wholesome nature of the site I linked in this post.

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:57 pm

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:09 pm

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:49 pm

- Peter

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:24 pm

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:13 pm

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:23 pm

Last edited by clw_uk on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:32 pm

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:38 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:08 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:33 pm

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:31 am

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:09 am

Greetings,

I'm intolerant of intolerance... no, erm, um... wait a minute...

:rofl:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:12 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:14 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:07 am

i have no problem with a person saying whatever they may feel about a religion or philosophy. they are not people, they are not animals, they are abstract concepts that for the most part the people who subscribe to cant even agree that they really subscribe to the same thing even though they subscribe to the same religion of philosophy. huh?

yeah anyways, if i say tom is an asshole, then im being rude, but i may be right. if i say christians are assholes, i'm generalizing, and kinda a bit ignorant. if i say christianity is full of crap, it's just an opinion and no one should get too upset about it.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:44 am

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”