"Nature of the Mind" by HH Sakya Trizin

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Luke

"Nature of the Mind" by HH Sakya Trizin

Post by Luke »

http://www.sakya.com.au/hhstnatureofmind/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a great article by HH Sakya Trizin about how to realize the true nature of your mind.

I used to only be interested in reading Kagyu and Nyingma teachings, but I am quickly becoming quite an admirer of HH Sakya Trizin's teachings, which are always so clear, wise, and beautiful. I'd love to meet His Holiness in person sometime!
:bow:
Josef

Re: "Nature of the Mind" by HH Sakya Trizin

Post by Josef »

Luke wrote:http://www.sakya.com.au/hhstnatureofmind/

This is a great article by HH Sakya Trizin about how to realize the true nature of your mind.

I used to only be interested in reading Kagyu and Nyingma teachings, but I am quickly becoming quite an admirer of HH Sakya Trizin's teachings, which are always so clear, wise, and beautiful. I'd love to meet His Holiness in person sometime!
:bow:
The Sakya lineage is loaded with great teachers and teachings and there is a lot of Nyingma/Sakya crossover and collaboration. A few others to check out along with His Holiness are:
Khenpo Shenga
Gorampa
Sakya Pandita (of course, he was just plain awesome)

Sakya Trizin is coming to my city this May and I absolutely can not wait to receive teachings from him.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

careful.

the buddha didnt teach about "schools".

sectarian attitudes are learnt in such groups.

which is why, i have my schooling in such groups, but remain an independent from them.

:namaste:

sakya is not nature of mind
kagyupa is not nature of mind
nyigmpa is not nature of mind
gelukpa is not nature of mind
jonangpa is not nature of mind
bon is not nature of mind

be mindful of the gatekeepers of the divine, the holders of truth in the mystery schools.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Nangwa wrote:Sakya Trizin is coming to my city this May and I absolutely can not wait to receive teachings from him.
Yes, next year is big for Sakyapas due to his tour in the U.S. and Canada! :smile:

http://tour.sakyatemple.org/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Luke

Post by Luke »

Heruka wrote: sectarian attitudes are learnt in such groups.
Maybe, but compassion and wisdom can also be taught in such groups.

I understand the concern over sectarianism, but simply having preferences for certain sects of Buddhism doesn't imply that one is intolerant of other schools, just like a man who is only romantically interested in Asian women isn't necessarily racist--he may just know what he likes.
Heruka wrote: sakya is not nature of mind
kagyupa is not nature of mind
nyigmpa is not nature of mind
gelukpa is not nature of mind
jonangpa is not nature of mind
bon is not nature of mind
Of course not, they are all somewhat different paths which result in one experiencing the true nature of one's mind. Different paths are suitable for different people, so the the multitude of Buddhist schools can be seen as a blessing as well.
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

Satirical Advice for the Four Schools by Jamgön Mipham Rinpoche

http://lotsawahouse.org/satirical.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Josef

Post by Josef »

Heruka wrote:careful.

the buddha didnt teach about "schools".

sectarian attitudes are learnt in such groups.
I beg to differ.
The Buddha was a key player in the sramana movement of ancient India. The leaders and followers of these different sramana sects vigorously debated and were in direct competition with one another. The Buddha definitely differentiated his "sect" from others at the time.
But I don't really see how this is relevant to the current thread.
Is praising the qualities of the Sakya lineage somehow a sectarian danger zone in your opinion?
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Dhondrub wrote:Satirical Advice for the Four Schools by Jamgön Mipham Rinpoche

http://lotsawahouse.org/satirical.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I loved this!
The Sakyapas make the supreme assertion that one should not place too much emphasis on conduct because inner wisdom is the most important thing....they maintain the discipline of never leaving their seats, because to do so would transgress their vow. If they ever did need to get up and do something, they would have to drag their seats behind them, such are their rites of purification and liberation based on time and the physical body. I wonder what would happen to them if they did leave their seats!
Is that why the carpet in my room is worn out? :D
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

I don't think anyone is putting down any schools by praising another one...it's all in good fun. :smile:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”