Jeffrey Hopkins: A Truthful Heart

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Khalil Bodhi

Jeffrey Hopkins: A Truthful Heart

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up and read a book by Jeffrey Hopkins entitled A Truthful Heart and it has had a profound effect upon me and the way I understand brahmavihara practice. I was hoping to find out if any had information on the particular lineage from which Dr. Hopkins derived the teachings as presented in his book and if there are teachers or lamas in said lineage in the NYC area. Thank you in advance and be well.
Looking for a true, virtual community to support your practice? Visit http://dharmapaths.com/
Tom Watson

Re: Jeffrey Hopkins: A Truthful Heart

Post by Tom Watson »

·

I have the earlier edition of your book, A Truthful Heart, titled Cultivating Compassion [A Buddhist Perspective], published by Broadway Books in 2002.

In the book's Introduction, Hopkins writes about meeting Geshe Wangyal, a Gelug monk, who founded the Tibetan Buddhist Learning Center in 1958. Hopkins became his student, writing:

"So, I moved to the monastery and I stayed for five years.

At the monastery, I learned Tibetan and practiced forms of meditation that are known throughout the vast Tibetan cultural region, which stretches from Tibet itself through Kalmyk Mongolian areas where the Volga empties into Caspian Sea (in Europe), to Outer and Inner Mongolia, to the Buriat Republic of Siberia,as well as to Ladakh, Sikkim, Bhutan, and much of Nepal.

The meditations that form the structure of this book center around cultivating compassion and reflecting on the true nature of phenomena, and to this day they remain the heart of my daily practice."

And ...

The Tibetan Buddhist Learning Center is a (non-sectarian) Center dedicated to the study, practice, and preservation of Buddha’s teachings. Through its educational programs, TBLC provides regular classes on a wide range of Buddhist topics appropriate for both beginning and advanced level students, regardless of their religious affiliation or other distinctions. TBLC also engages in scholarly activities aimed at preserving the Buddhist teachings and making Tibetan materials available for English speakers.

TBLC is a non-profit religious and educational organization run solely on donations. Located on 32 mostly wooded acres in Washington, NJ, the Center is 1.5 hours from New York City.

The Tibetan Buddhist Learning Center

·
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Thank you Tom. I really appreciate it.
Looking for a true, virtual community to support your practice? Visit http://dharmapaths.com/
Tom Watson

Post by Tom Watson »

:hi:

You're welcome, Khalil.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”