China's smog airpollution

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
Aemilius

China's smog airpollution

Post by Aemilius »

Om mani padme hung
I wish the chinese will do something to their terrible air pollution problem
Om a ra pa ca na dhih
It is possible to clear that smog,
may it be cleared
Om vajrapani hung phat
May it be cleared soon
Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
May its cause be eradicated
Om muni muni mahamuni svaha
Having annihilated the cause of smog may the air be clean
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: China's smog airpollution

Post by Huseng »

Include Delhi in your prayers, too. :?
plwk

Post by plwk »

Bangkok, Manila, London, Mexico City, Santiago, Tehran, L.A, San Joaquin Valley, Ulaanbaatar...
Roland

Post by Roland »

Phoenix, Sao Paulo..
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Have you seen the pictures of cities in China that are enveloped in smog?
Or read that there are in China 1,2 million premature deaths annually, caused by the airpollution?
In the map of world wide airpollution only Northern India comes close to the level of air pollution in China, which is worse than anywhere else in the World.
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Roland

Post by Roland »

Yes

I've struggled with breathing my entire life. Watching pollution levels, I've become sensitive to knowing when I've entered into a more polluted area. I'd be one of the first to die if I were to live in a heavily polluted area, especially Beijing. I'm sure there are millions like me in this sense, and millions that have died or suffer greatly daily due to the smog.

It is very sad.

May solutions to the smog be quickly implemented and all who struggle to breath have clean air.
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Pollution the price of growth
A balanced but still quite worrying report on Aussie ABC: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-22/p ... th/4707362

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Indrajala wrote:Include Delhi in your prayers, too. :?
Indeed. Delhi has the top ranking in a new WHO report: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-08/1 ... ir/5438872
The really good news for Beijing is that it comes in at 77th :jawdrop: but of course that's bad news for other places:
Cities with the worst air pollution

Delhi, India
Patna, India
Gwalior, India
Raipur, India
Karachi, Pakistan
Peshwar, Pakistan
Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Khoramabad, Iran
Ahmedabad, Indai
Lucknow, India
Source: World Health Organisation

Kim
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Well I am sure a good game of 'smoggier than thou ' is fun.

However as a matter for prayer its pretty silly.

The Bodhisattavas as far as I am aware, do not cause pollution.

Neither do they overrule our conscious decision making by magic.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Whenever I'm in Delhi I'll just be sitting there indoors and suddenly start suffering a tight chest (no phlegm either).

It is really awful.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Indrajala wrote:Include Delhi in your prayers, too. :?
Indeed. Delhi has the top ranking in a new WHO report: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-08/1 ... ir/5438872
The really good news for Beijing is that it comes in at 77th :jawdrop: but of course that's bad news for other places:

Kim
That (77th) is probably a mistake, the number that I found for Beijing is 17th !!!

Air Pollution in Beijing and China http://factsanddetails.com/china/cat10/ ... em392.html
I suspect that the chinese have improved their public image in the WHO by bribery or by other similar methods.
In the factsanddetails.com article environmental researcher Mr Steven Andrews contends that the Beijing government systematically manipulated the data and standards to create more "blue sky" days, ( at the bottom in Unreliability of Chinese Pollution Data).
svaha
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Aemilius wrote:
That (77th) is probably a mistake, the number that I found for Beijing is 17th !!!

Air Pollution in Beijing and China http://factsanddetails.com/china/cat10/ ... em392.html
I suspect that the chinese have improved their public image in the WHO by bribery or by other similar methods.
In the factsanddetails.com article environmental researcher Mr Steven Andrews contends that the Beijing government systematically manipulated the data and standards to create more "blue sky" days, ( at the bottom in Unreliability of Chinese Pollution Data).
Thanks, Aemilius. I was having trouble thinking of seventy-plus cities that would be worse than what I've seen in photos of Beijing.

Kim
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Remember Beijing air pollution levels were originally put out by the US Embassy. It is also fed to the US media regularly. There is some political gamesmanship with regard to undermining the Chinese government by trying to convince the general populace that they have the worst air in the world.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

In the Facts and Details they also tell about underground coal fires that have been burning for decades. These fires burn 20 to 30 million tons of coal annually, without filters obviously, and without any usefulness to the chinese citizens.
svaha
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Aemilius wrote:In the Facts and Details they also tell about underground coal fires that have been burning for decades. These fires burn 20 to 30 million tons of coal annually, without filters obviously, and without any usefulness to the chinese citizens.
Fires in coal seams are virtually impossible to put out unless they are well underground and they can be sealed off from the air. We had a good one here - well, a good example! - last summer. It was totally accessible but still took weeks to extinguish in spite of anything the mine operators or fire brigades could do - see http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/morwe ... 3a2zt.html for more details.

Kim
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Took few weeks to extinguish!? Sounds like children's play, when compared to the underground fires in China.
In China they worked continuously four years in extinguishing one particular coal fire. They then erected a monument for this grand achievement. But one year later the fire had started again!
http://www.chinadialogue.net/article/sh ... seen-story
svaha
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Aemilius wrote:Took few weeks to extinguish!? Sounds like children's play, when compared to the underground fires in China.
In China they worked continuously four years in extinguishing one particular coal fire. They then erected a monument for this grand achievement. But one year later the fire had started again!
http://www.chinadialogue.net/article/sh ... seen-story
You're right - it was child's play compared to the challenges described in the article you linked to. Consider:
• First-world country.
• Open cut mine (super-accessible)
• Mines in the area for 50 years, so lots of local expertise and experience.
• Brown coal, which has a heating value only about one-quarter of that for black coal and a high moisture content.
• Fire services already geared up for bushfire season.
But it still took a month.

Kim
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

About smog:
It is stupidity that there is smog. Because cleaner technologies exist. Cleaner technologies have existed from at least the 1970's.
It is ignorance, greed, sloth, and non-caring for the health and happiness of others (and oneself).
svaha
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

May the five elements: earth, water, fire, air and space be pure, clean and healthy!
May they become pure, clean and healthy!
May they become pure, clean and healthy through human effort!
svaha

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”