Alan Wallace on Dzogchen

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Alan Wallace on Dzogchen

Postby Shemmy » Mon May 05, 2014 9:51 am

The last third of the video is brilliant on projection/delusion/unmindfulness in dream and waking life. A dream as a lifeime that lasts ten minutes in which we are unmindful of the dream framework, unmindful of having a waking life of having had other dreams, waking life in which we don't remember the dreams and cannot see situations for what they are, compulsively and constantly projecting onto people,situations etc., that we suffer like psychotics at the mercy of our delusions. Never heard anyone say it better. Excellent dharma talk.
User avatar
Shemmy
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:48 pm
Location: Kalasindhu, Thailand

Re: Alan Wallace on Dzogchen

Postby heart » Mon May 05, 2014 10:16 am

Shemmy wrote:The last third of the video is brilliant on projection/delusion/unmindfulness in dream and waking life. A dream as a lifeime that lasts ten minutes in which we are unmindful of the dream framework, unmindful of having a waking life of having had other dreams, waking life in which we don't remember the dreams and cannot see situations for what they are, compulsively and constantly projecting onto people,situations etc., that we suffer like psychotics at the mercy of our delusions. Never heard anyone say it better. Excellent dharma talk.


I agree!

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
User avatar
heart
 
Posts: 3121
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Alan Wallace on Dzogchen

Postby ratna » Mon May 05, 2014 10:55 am

If you find his presentation interesting, he has a huge amount of audio material online, for free, as podcasts, at http://podcasts.sbinstitute.com.

For example, a full Dzogchen retreat is available here: https://archive.org/details/IntroductionToDzogchenRetreatWithAlanWallace2012.
User avatar
ratna
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Alan Wallace on Dzogchen

Postby Shemmy » Mon May 05, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks Ratna, I didn't know about these at all!
User avatar
Shemmy
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:48 pm
Location: Kalasindhu, Thailand

Re: Alan Wallace on Dzogchen

Postby asunthatneversets » Mon May 05, 2014 8:03 pm

heart wrote:I find it very interesting that he says all his Dzogchen translations (four?) from the Dudjom Tersar will be published next year.

/magnus

Wallace's translation of Dudjom Lingpa's "gnas lugs rang byung" [dag snang ye shes drva pa las gnas lugs rang byung gi rgyud rdo rje'i snying po] will be one of the publications, finally. An unfinalized version of the translation has been circulating online for some years now, looking forward to this finalized version being available (the text requires a transmission no doubt, but nevertheless nice to see this coming out).

Wallace based his book "Stilling the Mind" on the śamatha and vipaśyanā sections of this tantra. The tantra in its entirety includes the aforementioned preliminary practices along with rushan, tregchö, thögal and bardo instruction... essentially Dudjom Lingpa's A to Z on Dzogpa Chenpo.
asunthatneversets
 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: Alan Wallace on Dzogchen

Postby heart » Mon May 05, 2014 8:35 pm

asunthatneversets wrote:
heart wrote:I find it very interesting that he says all his Dzogchen translations (four?) from the Dudjom Tersar will be published next year.

/magnus

Wallace's translation of Dudjom Lingpa's "gnas lugs rang byung" [dag snang ye shes drva pa las gnas lugs rang byung gi rgyud rdo rje'i snying po] will be one of the publications, finally. An unfinalized version of the translation has been circulating online for some years now, looking forward to this finalized version being available (the text requires a transmission no doubt, but nevertheless nice to see this coming out).


Yeah, they should have reprinted a long time ago, it is a shame all the traffic it brought to that strange site.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
User avatar
heart
 
Posts: 3121
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Alan Wallace on Dzogchen

Postby asunthatneversets » Mon May 05, 2014 9:05 pm

heart wrote:Yeah, they should have reprinted a long time ago, it is a shame all the traffic it brought to that strange site.

/magnus


Ah interesting, so the book was originally published some time ago and this release next year will be a second edition? I saw on Wallace's site that his translation of the tantra was released in 2004(?) by Wisdom Publications, and the book was titled "The Vajra Heart" or "Vajra Essence". Though I figured the listing was a typo or an old entry which was never updated because I have never seen or heard of anyone having a hard copy book, and Wisdom Publications does not mention it. But the first edition was a limited release then perhaps?
asunthatneversets
 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: Alan Wallace on Dzogchen

Postby Adi » Mon May 05, 2014 10:58 pm

Malcolm wrote:
smcj wrote:Half an hour into it he mentions that Dudjom Lingpa never had a human teacher. :jawdrop:


This is of course completely false.

Just look on TBRC, you can see that Dudjom Lingpa was a disciple of a very prominent 19th century Gelugpa master , 'jam dbyangs thub bstan nyi ma. http://www.tbrc.org/#!rid=P382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"


Indeed, if one actually reads A Clear Mirror* you will find Dudjom Lingpa talking about many kinds of teachers, quite a few of them human.

Adi

* The title of the recent translation by Chönyi Drolma is A Clear Mirror: The Visionary Autobiography of a Tibetan Master. (Rangjung Yeshe Publications, 2011. ISBN: 978-962-7341-673)
Adi
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:45 pm

Re: Alan Wallace on Dzogchen

Postby heart » Tue May 06, 2014 4:35 am

asunthatneversets wrote:
heart wrote:Yeah, they should have reprinted a long time ago, it is a shame all the traffic it brought to that strange site.

/magnus


Ah interesting, so the book was originally published some time ago and this release next year will be a second edition? I saw on Wallace's site that his translation of the tantra was released in 2004(?) by Wisdom Publications, and the book was titled "The Vajra Heart" or "Vajra Essence". Though I figured the listing was a typo or an old entry which was never updated because I have never seen or heard of anyone having a hard copy book, and Wisdom Publications does not mention it. But the first edition was a limited release then perhaps?


Yes, a very restricted release and sold out a long time ago.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
User avatar
heart
 
Posts: 3121
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Alan Wallace on Dzogchen

Postby Tom » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:52 pm

Here is a video of Wallace discussing the new translations...

http://www.wisdompubs.org/landing/wisdom-moments
User avatar
Tom
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: Alan Wallace on Dzogchen

Postby udawa » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:27 am

Tom wrote:Here is a video of Wallace discussing the new translations...

http://www.wisdompubs.org/landing/wisdom-moments


Thanks for the link Tom.

It seems Wisdom are planning to publish three volumes of translations of works by Dudjom Lingpa and his students (Padma Tashi and Sera Khandro).

It's not clear whether these are coming out as separate volumes or a set (presumably the former).


The Sharp Vajra of Conscious Awareness Tantra, Düdjom Lingpa
The Essence of Clear Meaning, a commentary on The Sharp Vajra of Conscious Awareness Tantra by Padma Tashi
The Foolish Dharma of an Idiot Clothed in Mud and Feathers, Düdjom Lingpa
The Intent of Samantabhadra, Düdjom Lingpa
Buddhahood Without Meditation, Düdjom Lingpa
The Fine Path to Liberation, Sera Khandro
Garland for the Delight of the Fortunate, a commentary on Buddhahood without Meditation by Sera Khandro
The Vajra Essence, Düdjom Lingpa
Expect this exciting new collection later in 2015.

Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
udawa
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Alan Wallace on Dzogchen

Postby Dan74 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:24 pm

Restricted text and replies have been removed, Folks. Apologies for the disruption.
User avatar
Dan74
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Previous

Return to Dzogchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

>