Question About DC Amitayus webcast.

bryandavis

Question About DC Amitayus webcast.

Post by bryandavis »

Greetings,

Just wondering for those that now as I am a new to following ChNNR, is there a reason the upcoming webcast of the empowerment of Amitayus will not be streamed?
Is this the norm during webcast where empowerments are given by Rinpoche? Thanks for any explanation.

Bryan.
Norwegian

Re: Question About DC Amitayus webcast.

Post by Norwegian »

Sometimes there are types of empowerments that cannot be webcasted, this is most likely one of them. Another example would be the root initiation of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu's Longsal cycle.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Not a Dzogchen guy (at least not yet), but I'm real curious to hear the Dzogchen take on Amitayus.
If it's not too much trouble, anybody mind explaining to me?
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

I'm pretty sure there is no problem with webcasting the empowerment as they are doing the Nyagla Pema Dündul terma of Amitayus which ChNN just gave a transmission for at the end of the last retreat. Again, I may not have this right, but I assume that if you have received the empowerment from the last webcasted retreat there's not a problem to do the practice, etc. Perhaps it is simply because it would be redundant?

That said tho, it is a bit puzzling that they are not webcasting the empowerment that is being done at the beginning of the retreat, hope we will be good to go with just the empowerment from the end of the last retreat.

And a final non-authoritative response to Amitayus as Dzogchen, as far as I know, this terma isn't a Dzogchen practice it's actually an Anu-Yoga practice.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Shemmy wrote:I'm pretty sure there is no problem with webcasting the empowerment as they are doing the Nyagla Pema Dündul terma of Amitayus which ChNN just gave a transmission for at the end of the last retreat. Again, I may not have this right, but I assume that if you have received the empowerment from the last webcasted retreat there's not a problem to do the practice, etc. Perhaps it is simply because it would be redundant?
There was no Amitayus empowerment the last webcast.
That said tho, it is a bit puzzling that they are not webcasting the empowerment that is being done at the beginning of the retreat, hope we will be good to go with just the empowerment from the end of the last retreat.
Not at all, Rinpoche has said that he couldn't give a formal empowerments (which this will be) with webcast.
You can of course still do the practice, otherwise he wouldn't be giving lung for it every retreat nor would there be a webcast now.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

I guess I am confusing lung with empowerment. Sorry. The lung was given at the end of the last retreat, tho.

So what does the empowerment do that the lung doesn't do?
Last edited by Shemmy on Tue May 06, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Shemmy wrote:
Pero wrote: There was no Amitayus empowerment the last webcast.
Mmm…check this out Mr. Pero: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the last retreat it says Amitayus was given.

Why do you think that it wasn't given?
Those are lungs, not empowerments.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

Sorry, my mistake. What does the lung do that the empowerment doesn't?
Pero

Post by Pero »

Shemmy wrote:Sorry, my mistake. What does the lung do that the empowerment doesn't?
Without the lung you generally can't use (won't have effect) the mantras associated with deity you've received empowerment for (I don't think their mantras are always included in the empowerments).
- Shabkar
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

But some of us will have the opposite situation, a lung but no empowerment.

So, my question is, if you or anyone happens to know, what are we missing, if anything, by not having had the empowerment?
Pero

Post by Pero »

Shemmy wrote:But some of us will have the opposite situation, a lung but no empowerment.

So, my question is, if you or anyone happens to know, what are we missing, if anything, by not having had the empowerment?
Well in general, without an empowerment you're basically missing everything. Without an empowerment there is no achievement possible.
However in this particular case it's also a bit different (as far as I understand) because Rinpoche often gives direct introduction which alone together with lung is enough (although not everyone agrees with this and also Rinpoche himself doesn't give lung for some practices or mantras unless you've received the corresponding empowerment but I don't know what the criteria is). Anyway that is just my understanding.
- Shabkar
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

Doesn't sound like we are missing everything if it works as a practice with lung plus direct introduction. Anyway, thanks for your opinion/take on it.

Well, anyway, I suppose as we have been talking about on another thread, most people never get empowerments anyway even if they attended the ceremony, so if it doesn't seem to work then you move on.

Return to “Europe”