Tibetan names

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Tibetan names

Postby dharmagoat » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:11 am

dzoki wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:
dzoki wrote:CHABKHANG TSOGPO - dirty toilet

Ew, I would ask for my money back.

I can see why you choose not to use it.

Haha, it was a joke. I doubt any lama would give such a name.

Oh dear, don't I look foolish. :toilet:
May all beings be happy
dharmagoat

Postby Juliana » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:26 pm

Somebody knows what Padma Dechen means?

Thanks.
Juliana

Postby pemachophel » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:50 pm

Lotus of Great Bliss

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel

Postby Alfredo » Thu May 01, 2014 1:33 pm

Drawing on my limited knowledge of Tibetan, a name like Sangye Chophel (Buddha + Flourishing of Dharma) might be abbreviated to Sangcho, which sounds like the word for "toilet." ("Chapsang" would be the honorific, if that is not too surreal that there should be an honorific for "toilet".)

The Lama who gave me my name was a GYATSO too. Does the last name ever function as a kind of 'family name'?

More likely a lineage marker. For example, everybody ordained by Tenzin Gyatso, the Dalai Lama gets "Tenzin" as part of his ordination name. Karma Kagyu disciples apparently all get the name "Karma." etc.
(no longer participating on this board)
Alfredo

Postby Karma Jinpa » Fri May 02, 2014 4:22 am

Alfredo wrote:
The Lama who gave me my name was a GYATSO too. Does the last name ever function as a kind of 'family name'?

More likely a lineage marker. For example, everybody ordained by Tenzin Gyatso, the Dalai Lama gets "Tenzin" as part of his ordination name. Karma Kagyu disciples apparently all get the name "Karma." etc.

In my limited experience, when a Refuge ceremony is given in public it's the first name that designates the lineage the presiding master belongs to, rather than the second or last name. So Karma Kagyupas would be "Karma ______," Drikung Kagyupas are, by and large, "Konchog _____," and most of the Gelukpas I know are "Lobsang _____."

GYATSO is pretty common as a name in general, but even more so with it being the second element in the Dalai Lama's name, Tenzin Gyatso. As Alfredo mentioned, HH gives TENZIN as the first part of ordination names (i.e. to monks and nuns). HH Penor Rinpoche (late head of the Palyul Nyingma lineage) gave THUBTEN to those who took ordination with him.

I've read in numerous places that the way Tibetans put together their names has led to quite a bit of consternation on the part of immigration and naturalization officials. I think the concept of a family name isn't really prevalent in Tibetan culture, but there certainly are clans which predate Vajrayana entering. Most biographies of high lamas mention which clan they're from, though I'm not exactly sure how clans figure into the identities of regular Tibetans.

Imagine how big they thought the Rinpoche family was! :rolling:
"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, it happens that a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་རཱ་ག་ཨ་སྱ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

:namaste:
Karma Jinpa

Postby SHERAB OSEL » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:50 am

SHERAB OSEL :stirthepot:
SHERAB OSEL

Postby kirtu » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:12 am

Karma Jinpa wrote: HH Penor Rinpoche (late head of the Palyul Nyingma lineage) gave THUBTEN to those who took ordination with him.

I only took refuge with HHPR but also received Thubten. I'm pretty sure that he gave Thubten to both those who took refuge and those who took ordination.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Karma Dorje » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:57 am

kirtu wrote:
Karma Jinpa wrote: HH Penor Rinpoche (late head of the Palyul Nyingma lineage) gave THUBTEN to those who took ordination with him.

I only took refuge with HHPR but also received Thubten. I'm pretty sure that he gave Thubten to both those who took refuge and those who took ordination.

Kirt

Yes, I also received Thubten from Penor Rinpoche in my refuge name. Not just for ordination.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
~Arthur Carlson
Karma Dorje

Postby Runningalong » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi .. I recently joined this forum and wondering if anyone can help me with the meaning of my Tibetan names?

Padme Chime Lhamo

many blessings,

Runningalong
Runningalong

Postby pemachophel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:01 pm

Padma = Lotus; Chime = Deathless; Lhamo = Goddess/Devi
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel

Postby Azureblue » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Hello
I've just recently taken refuge and was given the name Thubten Lamzang - does any one what it means.
Thank you
Peace and Blessings
Georgina
Azureblue

Postby ratna » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:23 pm

Azureblue wrote:Hello
I've just recently taken refuge and was given the name Thubten Lamzang - does any one what it means.
Thank you
Peace and Blessings
Georgina

Teaching of the Muni, Excellent Path
ratna

Previous

Return to Bön