Beginning Longchen Nyingthig Ngondro!

Luke

Beginning Longchen Nyingthig Ngondro!

Post by Luke »

Hello dear fellow Nyingmapas!

I recently met with a Tibetan Nyingma lama who gave me his permission and the lung to begin the Ngondro of the Longchen Nyingthig. I'm just doing the very beginning of the outer preliminaries right now, but it's a great feeling to begin and to follow such a profound text!

This lama said that he and I have a connection from past lives, which I feel as well. I feel at peace now that my search for a guru is over. When I met with him privately, I felt like I was in the presence of Buddha himself, and I realized that I couldn't say anything which would impress him because his knowledge and insight far surpassed mine, so I just asked simple questions and attentively listened to his answers.

This lama said that he will have me take refuge again later, so that I can get a different refuge name (right now I still have a Kagyu refuge name). He also told me to stop doing the other meditations I had learned from other teachers and just to focus on Ngondro for now.

So, my conversion to the Nyingma school is rapidly taking place! My devotion to Guru Rinpoche has paid off and set more in motion than I had ever dreamed!

OM AH HUNG BENZA GURU PEMA SIDDHI HUNG
Josef

Re: Beginning Longchen Nyingthig Ngondro!

Post by Josef »

Congratulations Luke!
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
deff

Post by deff »

congrats! :thumbsup:

best wishes for your ngondro practice!
Josef

Post by Josef »

Do you have a copy of Words of My Perfect Teacher and a copy of The Wish Fulfilling Jewel by Dilgo Khyentse?
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Luke

This is really excellent, I'm so happy for you!

Zeke
Luke

Post by Luke »

Nangwa wrote:Do you have a copy of Words of My Perfect Teacher and a copy of The Wish Fulfilling Jewel by Dilgo Khyentse?
Yes, I have "The Words of My Perfect Teacher" and I've just begun to read it.

No, I don't have that book by Khyentse Rinpoche, but I'm not doing Guru Yoga yet, so I don't think I need it quite yet, although I treasure anything which Khyentse Rinpoche wrote. I just finished reading "The Heart Treasure of the Englightened Ones" which is also a text by Patrul Rinpoche with Khyentse Rinpoche's commentary.

I feel that reading Khyentse's books and watching his videos also helped me create a connection with the Nyingma school. One day, in my former Kagyu sangha's gift shop, I just "by chance" saw a copy of "The Heart Treasure of the Englightened Ones" on the shelf, bought it, and was greatly moved and inspired by it.

Any contact with the writings of Patrul Rinpoche or Khyentse Rinpoche is a great blessing.
heart

Post by heart »

Free resources for your Ngondro

http://www.lotsawahouse.org/ngondro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a fantastic book on the Longchen Nyinthik Ngöndro

http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=19539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who is your teacher?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

You can request an really excellent commentary on this Ngöndro by Dzongsar Khyentse on the Siddhartas Intent site: https://app.etapestry.com/hosted/Khyent ... eForm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

best

tashi
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Does anyone know which copy of 'Words of my Perfect Teacher' is good to get?
JohnJigmeHeimrShmidt

Post by JohnJigmeHeimrShmidt »

Greetings to all! This is my first post, so a couple things:

Sangyey: I'm reading the "revised edition" which is good. Also the Guide to Words of My Perfect Teacher by Khenpo Ngawang Pelzang is clutch.

I also wish to begin practicing the Longchen Nyintik Ngodro. My understanding is that it is necessary to receive a transmission from a qualified teacher to do so. Is this correct? Also is it necessary to receive empowerments for any practices (such as Vajrasattva)? And I assume you need a root guru to perform Guru Yoga.

John
Josef

Post by Josef »

JohnJigmeHeimrShmidt wrote:Greetings to all! This is my first post, so a couple things:

Sangyey: I'm reading the "revised edition" which is good. Also the Guide to Words of My Perfect Teacher by Khenpo Ngawang Pelzang is clutch.

I also wish to begin practicing the Longchen Nyintik Ngodro. My understanding is that it is necessary to receive a transmission from a qualified teacher to do so. Is this correct? Also is it necessary to receive empowerments for any practices (such as Vajrasattva)? And I assume you need a root guru to perform Guru Yoga.

John
Hi John,
Most teachers require some kind of transmission prior to seriously engaging in LNN.
In the case of a practitioner who does not have a root lama Guru Rinpoche as in the visualization can substitute until you have one.
JohnJigmeHeimrShmidt

Post by JohnJigmeHeimrShmidt »

Nangwa, thank you for the speedy reply!

I am hoping to soon find an opportunity to receive the transmission.

For you ngondro practitioners out there, how long do you spend doing one repetition/cycle of the LNN practice? I'm curious how many of these I'll be able to do in the morning, evening.
Josef

Post by Josef »

JohnJigmeHeimrShmidt wrote:Nangwa, thank you for the speedy reply!

I am hoping to soon find an opportunity to receive the transmission.

For you ngondro practitioners out there, how long do you spend doing one repetition/cycle of the LNN practice? I'm curious how many of these I'll be able to do in the morning, evening.
There are a lot of variables.
It depends on you, which part of the practice you are focusing on, and which sadhana you are using.
There are many short Nyingma ngondro sadhanas out there that one can do in a handful of minutes and there are sadhana's like the complet LNN which are significantly longer.
Ngondro is no longer the focus of my practice but I still do the short ngondro of Kunzang Dechen Lingpa every day, so for me ngondro only gets about 10-15 minutes of my daily practice.

Return to “Nyingma”