Army's "Spiritual Fitness" Test Comes Under Fire

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Mr. G

Army's "Spiritual Fitness" Test Comes Under Fire

Post by Mr. G »

An experimental, Army mental-health, fitness initiative designed by the same psychologist whose work heavily influenced the psychological aspects of the Bush administration's torture program is under fire by civil rights groups and hundreds of active-duty soldiers. They say it unconstitutionally requires enlistees to believe in God or a "higher power" in order to be deemed "spiritually fit" to serve in the Army.

Comprehensive Soldier Fitness (CSF) is a $125 million "holistic fitness program" unveiled in late 2009 and aimed at reducing the number of suicides and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) cases, which have reached epidemic proportions over the past year due to multiple deployments to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the substandard care soldiers have received when they return from combat. The Army states that it can accomplish its goal by teaching its service members how to be psychologically resilient and resist "catastrophizing" traumatic events. Defense Department documents obtained by Truthout state CSF is Army Chief of Staff George Casey's "third highest priority."

Read More Here...
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Army's "Spiritual Fitness" Test Comes Under Fire

Post by Huseng »

It reminds me of this:

phpBB [video]
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

I am totally seeing that movie now! I watched the first one a long time ago and found it hilarious...I had no idea they made 3 movies! lol
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Great, this means I'm totally unfit for duty. Works for me.
"The Dharma is huge." - Rael

Return to “Lounge”