The Mustard Seed

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
reddust

The Mustard Seed

Post by reddust »

I promised a special person here on Dharmawheel I would paint the story of Kisa Gotami who lost her only child and how Gotama Buddha helped her let go of her grief. I have the outline done. Ignore the lines in the branches they will not show once paint is applied. Things will change dramatically once watercolor layers are applied. Figuring out how to place subjects was really hard. I didn't want to take from others paintings. I'm going to do something really different when I paint the subjects. I'm going to make them look transparent so you can see rainbows shine through them. That's why there isn't a lot of detail. Just the idea of human form.
The Mustardseed4.JPG
The Mustardseed4.JPG (310.5 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
Click on Link for the Story
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/btg/btg85.htm

I will update when I have finished the painting.

Much Metta :heart:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: The Mustard Seed

Post by Kim O'Hara »

It's going well. :smile:
I particularly love the tree. You've caught the way the trunks and branches intertwine, and the curtain of leaves at the back is really effective and beautiful.

:namaste:
Kim
reddust

Post by reddust »

Thank you kindly Kim, trees are my favorite! I'm on pins and needles, just finished cooking dinner and cleaning up. Putting the first layer of paint on tonight. This is so much like meditation. I will pace back and forth before sitting or painting. Just get all tied up in knots. I always have a hard time settling down sitting but once I do settle down meditate or paint, I stick like a burr to a piece of cloth. So excited :twothumbsup:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Really great, always one of my favorite stories, way to bring it to life!
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

This was either the first, or one of the first Buddhist stories I learnt. At the time it meant a lot to me as I was suffering quite badly. That story, the 4 noble truths, the noble 8 fold path & the 5 precepts are probably what turned me on to Buddhism most. I realize that the things I've outlined are very simple Buddhism but that doesn't make it easy. Digging ditches is fairly simple but it's certainly not easy.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

shaunc wrote:This was either the first, or one of the first Buddhist stories I learnt. At the time it meant a lot to me as I was suffering quite badly. That story, the 4 noble truths, the noble 8 fold path & the 5 precepts are probably what turned me on to Buddhism most. I realize that the things I've outlined are very simple Buddhism but that doesn't make it easy. Digging ditches is fairly simple but it's certainly not easy.
For a moment there I thought you were going to say "digging the veggie patch" which would be even more appropriate, both because you're a keen gardener and because cultivating the garden is like cultivating the spirit: you put in the work, you see the results - and there's always a heck of a lot of weeding to do!

KIm
reddust

Post by reddust »

I'm studying the tree Gotama Buddha sat under. I didn't know different Buddhas sat under different kinds of trees. What does this symbolize?
"The Lord Buddha Vipassi gained his full enlightenment at the foot of a trumpet flower tree; the Lord Buddha Sikhi under a white mango tree; the Lord Buddha Vessabhu under a Sal tree; the Lord Buddha Kakusandha under an acacia-tree; the Lord Buddha Konagamana under a fig tree; the Lord Buddha Kassapa under a Banyan tree; and I became fully enlightened at the foot of an Assattha tree.
Hey Shaunc and Johnny, thank you kindly for your feedback. We all lose people we love but it hurts the most when we lose one of our kids. I try to imagine this feeling but all my kids are still alive and so I had to research grieving faces and body positions. At least my kids are still alive and happy although I might not get along with them or the other way around from time to time, I am happy they are alive. Some of my kids struggled in their late teens and 20s but eventually they straightened their life out. That hurt really bad, watching my kids struggle to find their footing. Helping them without getting in their way while they figure themselves out has been a big part of my practice. EDIT: mostly I stay out of the way but I am there to listen because when I help others I seem to make a bigger mess. I am not that wise :namaste:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

reddust wrote:I'm studying the tree Gotama Buddha sat under. I didn't know different Buddhas sat under different kinds of trees. What does this symbolize?
"The Lord Buddha Vipassi gained his full enlightenment at the foot of a trumpet flower tree; the Lord Buddha Sikhi under a white mango tree; the Lord Buddha Vessabhu under a Sal tree; the Lord Buddha Kakusandha under an acacia-tree; the Lord Buddha Konagamana under a fig tree; the Lord Buddha Kassapa under a Banyan tree; and I became fully enlightened at the foot of an Assattha tree.
Hi, reddust,
I don't know all the symbolism but it's a slightly strange list.
a "banyan tree" is a "fig tree" and so is and "Assattha tree" (I didn't know that until I looked it up - http://www.sanathanadharma.com/symbol/asvattha.htm gives some symbolism in Hindu tradition, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashvattha is interesting, too.)
The other three are unrelated -
Sal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorea_robusta
Trumpet flower is closely related to datura - pretty flowers that can be used as poisons or visionary/recreational drugs
Mango - fruit.
Acacia - lots of choices but none are fruit trees.

:shrug: but may be useful.

Kim
reddust

Post by reddust »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Hi, reddust,
I don't know all the symbolism but it's a slightly strange list.
a "banyan tree" is a "fig tree" and so is and "Assattha tree" (I didn't know that until I looked it up - http://www.sanathanadharma.com/symbol/asvattha.htm gives some symbolism in Hindu tradition, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashvattha is interesting, too.)
The other three are unrelated -
Sal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorea_robusta
Trumpet flower is closely related to datura - pretty flowers that can be used as poisons or visionary/recreational drugs
Mango - fruit.
Acacia - lots of choices but none are fruit trees.

:shrug: but may be useful.

Kim
You found all the information I could find too. I'm specifically looking for symbolic meanings, which I know are there but I haven't found the text yet. I have a great book Called Gotama Buddha A biography based on the most reliable text by Jajime Nakamura. I found all the trees Gotama Buddha sat under as a bodhisatta and his battle with Mara, meeting the unseen beings and after he awakened when he met the Brahman and the merchants his first two followers but still no reference to the symbolic meaning of the trees. I love this kind of research. I will continue to search. What I was looking for is sticking little symbols into the painting referencing his journey. Before I go any further applying paint I have to draw in some mustard plants. I totally forgot! This is how I learn by the way. I can't just sit down and read something and make it stick in my long term memory. Thank you for your links, I'm checking them out and saving them for future use :heart:
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Maybe the symbolic meaning isn't in the types of trees, but possibly in the point they are all trees. Summer or winter a tree will always be there. Not too much upsets them they're all pretty tough. The fact that they seem to be fairly equanimious in terms of their conditions & environment. Undisturbed by either their emotions or the emotions of others. Always useful to others, whether it be firewood from fallen limbs, fruit or even just shade or a place for birds to nest in.
reddust

Post by reddust »

shaunc wrote:Maybe the symbolic meaning isn't in the types of trees, but possibly in the point they are all trees. Summer or winter a tree will always be there. Not too much upsets them they're all pretty tough. The fact that they seem to be fairly equanimious in terms of their conditions & environment. Undisturbed by either their emotions or the emotions of others. Always useful to others, whether it be firewood from fallen limbs, fruit or even just shade or a place for birds to nest in.
I wish my mind was like a tree with it's divine indifference to the changing of seasons. I will strive to be like a tree. I'm going to paint you a Bodhi Tree :cheers:

Much metta dear Dharma Brother :heart:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

reddust wrote:I promised a special person here on Dharmawheel ...
Fantastic!!! Beautiful!!! I can't wait to see it finished.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
reddust

Post by reddust »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
reddust wrote:I promised a special person here on Dharmawheel ...
Fantastic!!! Beautiful!!! I can't wait to see it finished.
Sherab Dorje, I've been posting the stages of creation on my blog if you want to see how the painting evolves. I post my struggles with painting as I go through and the fun parts I like. It's a real trip to paint, all the stuff, doubts, bliss, I go through when working on a piece. Painting really reminds me of object meditation trying to stay focus and not let doubt screw with your determination :namaste:
aakifali321

Post by aakifali321 »

Thank you kindly Kim, trees are my favorite!

Return to “Media”