New word!

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

New word!

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

The word of the day on my dictionary app is:

tabula rasa
noun
1. The mind in its hypothetical primary blank or empty (sic!) state before receiving outside impressions.
2. Something existing in its original pristine state.

Thought it might be of use around here. :tongue:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Osho

Re: New word!

Post by Osho »

I'd wager there are more of us 'palimpsests' than tabulas rasas.
:smile:
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).
emaho

Post by emaho »

I hate to disappoint you, but the expression tabula rasa is about 2500 years "young". :smile:
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

It was a key term in John Locke's empiricism - the mind is a tabula rasa, a blank slate, onto which ideas are inscribed by experience. It is a treasured dogma of empiricism, which I also think is completely mistaken, on account of there being inherent faculties in the human mind, such as the ability to enquire language (pace Noam Chomsky et al.)
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Gee whiz guys. I thought I'd found something really obscure. Oh well, that's what I get for dropping out of college.

:toilet:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

It's an SAT word and as noted widely invoked in academic discourse.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Language”