Tsoknyi Rinpoche & ngondro

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Paul

Tsoknyi Rinpoche & ngondro

Post by Paul »

Does anyone know which ngondro Tsoknyi Rinpoche teaches?
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
heart

Re: Tsoknyi Rinpoche & ngondro

Post by heart »

Hayagriva wrote:Does anyone know which ngondro Tsoknyi Rinpoche teaches?
Could be the short Chokling Tersar Ngondro. If it is important I can find out.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Paul

Post by Paul »

heart wrote:

/magnus
I thought it might be one from the Chokling Tersar.

I'm a student of his and would like to do it, so if you could find out I would be very grateful.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
heart

Post by heart »

Hayagriva wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus
I thought it might be one from the Chokling Tersar.

I'm a student of his and would like to do it, so if you could find out I would be very grateful.
Tsoknyi Rinpoche is really great. I email a friend, we will see. Anyway, you need "lung" and some instructions to start. At least that is the normal procedural.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Paul

Post by Paul »

heart wrote: Tsoknyi Rinpoche is really great. I email a friend, we will see. Anyway, you need "lung" and some instructions to start. At least that is the normal procedural.

/magnus
I have a Vajrasattva empowerment from Mingyur Rinpoche which was given in a ngondro related set of teachings, so I presume that's not something that will need to be repeated.

I'll need lung and instructions, but I'll ask him for them/where to get them before we meet next.

Thanks for your help.
heart

Post by heart »

Hayagriva wrote:
heart wrote: Tsoknyi Rinpoche is really great. I email a friend, we will see. Anyway, you need "lung" and some instructions to start. At least that is the normal procedural.

/magnus
I have a Vajrasattva empowerment from Mingyur Rinpoche which was given in a ngondro related set of teachings, so I presume that's not something that will need to be repeated.

I'll need lung and instructions, but I'll ask him for them/where to get them before we meet next.

Thanks for your help.
You did the "path of liberation part 1"? If it was in Copenhagen I was there. He gave the Sangtig Dorsem empowerment, a vajrasttva practice from the Chokling tersar.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Josef

Post by Josef »

heart wrote:
Hayagriva wrote:

/magnus

Thanks for your help.
You did the "path of liberation part 1"? If it was in Copenhagen I was there. He gave the Sangtig Dorsem empowerment, a vajrasttva practice from the Chokling tersar.

/magnus
The Sangtig Dorsem is an awesome practice.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
heart

Post by heart »

Nangwa wrote: The Sangtig Dorsem is an awesome practice.
I agree, beautiful.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

heart

Post by heart »

Seems like the Tukdrup Barche Kunsel Ngondro was the one he used to give. It is the one I mentioned before.

You can buy it here including some commentaries http://shop.gomde.us/Practice_Texts/Ngondro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Jnana

Post by Jnana »

Yeah, I think it's the Barchey Kunsel Preliminaries. There are different length preliminaries associated with this cycle (long, middling, and short). In addition, Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche arranged an even more condensed version of the short prelims. There is a commentary on it by Tsoknyi Rinpoche translated by Tony Duff: Commentary on the Barchay Kunsel Condensed Preliminaries of the Chogling Tersar.

There is also Tony Duff's translation of the The Drukpa Kagyu Mahamudra Preliminary Practices by Khamtrul III, Kunga Tenzin, translated at the request of Tsoknyi Rinpoche.

All the best,

Geoff
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks both, that's really good information. I'll be seeing him this spring so I'll see if there's a possibility of getting a lung.

The main group of practitioners I know are students of Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche, which will be very useful.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”