Early arabic and european narratives of India

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Aemilius

Early arabic and european narratives of India

Post by Aemilius »

These stories are told by David Gordon White in his book Sinister Yogis. Although the wrtitings describe hindu jogis seen by arab and european travellers in 1400's, 1500's and 1600's, they are interesting reading for a buddhist too.
The travellers quoted are Marco Polo, Ludovico di Varthema, Pietro della Valle, Jean Babtiste Tavernier, Jean de Thevenot, Francois Bernier, Colonel James Tod, etc...
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Mr. G

Re: Early arabic and european narratives of India

Post by Mr. G »

Hi Aemilius,

I saw this book before and was intrigued. Does it mainly deal with Hindu Yogis, or are there stories on Buddhist Yogis too?
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Aemilius

Re: Early arabic and european narratives of India

Post by Aemilius »

mr. gordo wrote:Hi Aemilius,

I saw this book before and was intrigued. Does it mainly deal with Hindu Yogis, or are there stories on Buddhist Yogis too?
Buddhist yogis were quite non-existent at that time in India, the stories have a very alive quality, it is a must read, my friend.
Keith Dowman writes in his Masters of Mahamudra how Nath and other hindu yoga lineages adopted Jalandhara, Krishnacarya, Goraksha, Tilopa and other buddhist Siddhas into their lineages (parampara), so I don't know what to think about this matter? -of the possible belonging of later jogis to buddhism?
It is a complex question. In modern times too you can practice your whole life hinduism or buddhism, and then after your death the society will enforce a christian funeral to your remains and declare: "In the end he regretted and converted to the Church (of Satan presumably?) hallelujah, etc...!", what can you do when you are dead yourself already ?!
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”