The Eastern Music Thread!

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Luke

The Eastern Music Thread!

Post by Luke »

I've noticed several threads devoted to western music on Buddhist forums, but I've never seen one devoted to eastern music, so I thought I'd create one because I've always loved eastern and eastern-sounding music.

Please post here any 1) traditional eastern music, 2) eastern pop music, or 3) western music which is influenced by eastern music or which is about an Asian country. The definition of "eastern" can be quite broad and may include the music of Eastern European countries which sounds quite eastern.

Okay, traditional music. I have to start off with Ravi Shankar who did a huge amount to popularize eastern music in the west.
phpBB [video]

I've just been discovering Kazakh folk music recently which I think is beautiful.
phpBB [video]

Now for eastern popular music. Time to get Bollywood on you all!
phpBB [video]

The following one is in-between. It features the great Pakistani Sufi singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. He was classically trained in ragas, but he collaborated with many western musicians.
phpBB [video]

Finally, for an eastern-influenced and inspired western song, here's "Sweet Taste of India" by Aerosmith. :cheers:
phpBB [video]
Luke

Re: The Eastern Music Thread!

Post by Luke »

Hmm... no one else out there seems to be down with eastern music, eh? Oh well. I'll post a few more anyway.

Here's some Turkish music. Gideeyup!
phpBB [video]

More horse stuff: the Tuvan song "Good Horses" from the movie Genghis Blues which includes throat singing.
phpBB [video]

The Tuvan throat singing group Huun Huur Tu.
phpBB [video]

Anyway, if you search "Tuvan throat singing" you'll find lots of amazing stuff...

The classic East meets West crossover ablum: Shakti by guitar god John McLaughlin.
phpBB [video]
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

I have listened to Radio VerVe, Indian Internet Radio Channel, and there especially Indian Heavy Metal Music. It is what it says, heavy metal music played and produced by indian youngsters! Worth having a try!!

Here is something from the Indian Metal Scene
phpBB [video]
Last edited by Aemilius on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

phpBB [video]

Tibet Singer Sonam singing " OM MANI :-)
Just that! :-)
Luke

Post by Luke »

Aemilius wrote:I have listened to Radio VerVe, Indian Internet Radio Channel, and there especially Indian Heavy Metal Music. It is what it says, heavy metal music played and produced by indian youngsters! Worth having a try!!
Cool. Maybe you could post some links to the music of those artists.

I just discovered Uyghur music lately. A lot of it sounds very eastern.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Here's just something funny: an Indian version of the intro to a Gun 'n Roses song.
phpBB [video]
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

The essence of Japanese music:

phpBB [video]

Vietnamese pop:

phpBB [video]

Vietnamese rock:

phpBB [video]

Vietnamese hip hop:

phpBB [video]

Burmese hip hop:

phpBB [video]

Indian pop:

phpBB [video]

Indian metal:

phpBB [video]

Did you know that the second song on this list (Vietnamese pop) is originally a Moldovan pop hit?
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Luke

Post by Luke »

Astus wrote: Indian metal:
The Indian metal song is pretty cool along with video images of Indian, but I don't think I'd listen to it by itself. The drums are a little too hyper for me... maybe I'm getting old. Lol.

Here's some Moroccan popular music:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

As far as traditional music goes, the oud is a great Arab instrument. The way it's played reminds me a lot of flamenco guitar. I would imagine that the Moors brought ouds with them when they invaded Spain.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

more indian metal
phpBB [video]
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
muni

Post by muni »

Nepali Resam Firiri. Beautiful traditional song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3rRSHnkuMU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sherpa modern. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2v2NetC ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:

Bhutani. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIVEwdGH ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ladakhi. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjrX_dQxgJ8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
muni

Post by muni »

Very old Guru Rinpoche http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJkq8Og1 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ground

Post by ground »

Lama Gyurme & J-P Rykiel ... merger of tibetan buddhist chants with western electronic music

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Kind regards
justsit

Post by justsit »

Ah, Lama Gyurme! :twothumbsup:

Chenrezi from u:man:tek, off the sound track from the movie
Words of My Perfect Teacher.
muni

Post by muni »

Oh yes friends! Very nice. :twothumbsup:

Here Lama Gyurme and Dechen Shak Dagsay together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwIsypF0DFM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNOQ_EdN ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.newearthrecords.com/web/pc/v ... product=47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ( track list)
muni

Post by muni »

Mongolian. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NXAvRCy ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some more. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQn3elVpxD0&NR=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

phpBB [video]
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Kyorei

Post by Kyorei »

Gagaku music of Japan-- this is one of the most beautiful pieces, "Etenraku" (literally "heavenly music"):

phpBB [video]

And honkyoku-- traditional music for the shakuhachi

phpBB [video]

(Yoshikazu Iwamoto is perhaps my favorite performer on the shakuhachi)

And koto music ("Sakura, Sakura"):

phpBB [video]

() Kyorei
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

I can't get enough of Nusrat...

Unfortunately I didn't know he had passed away (in 1997) until just now, so I'm sad. I've had the same album for about 15 years and I've just listened to it over and over through the years.

I bought a "new" one[used] the other day (first time I bought a CD in about 5 years?) but it was some wacky DJ mix. In general though I find this music very joyful.

phpBB [video]

His "scat singing" as I call it (I'm sure it has a more appropriate name) is amazing. His virtuoso performance here raises practically gives me chills every time:

The images are of course from the imagination/collection of the youtube poster.

phpBB [video]

(WOWEE at 3:06)

-M
"The Dharma is huge." - Rael
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

phpBB [video]
svaha
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

There was a period in my life, in the mid 90's, when all I listened to and played was North Indian Classical music, especially Nikil Bannerjee and Ali Akbar Khan, but also Vilayat Khan, Ravi Shanker, Hariprasad Chaurasia, Imrat Khan...and ZM Dagar playing Rudra Vina--mind-blowing stuff.

I've heard more than my fair share of Tibetan "pop" music....there are a few good performers, and then there are thousands of guys and girls with "okay" voices, making tapes and CD's in garages in Nepal and India, with computers and pro tools, cheap keyboards and drum machines....ugh.

I've also listened to tons of Nepali music, folk and popular....some good stuff out there,and it has a different vibe from Indian and Tibetan stuff. And I've heard my fair share of Bollywood music, too...some of which is outrageously good, actually.

I was on a Pipa kick a while back, and listened to a lot of Pipa music, traditional stuff mainly, from Min xiao Feng and, I think, Wu Man? Pipa is a cool instrument...in fact, I like any instrument with strings.

I also like World Fusion music, and I think the future of Jazz/Rock Fusion lies with those who bring new, World Music, elements to the table, without sacrificing the jazz energy and improv.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Tibetan Rap group Green (Turquoise) Dragon

Post by Malcolm »

phpBB [video]

Return to “Media”