Starting my meditation session

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
nirmal

Starting my meditation session

Post by nirmal »

I wish we could talk about how we start our meditation session and pick up some tips from each other in our posts here.I am no guru and am very poor in enlightenment but we could share and learn.
Last edited by nirmal on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
plwk

Re: Starting my meditation session

Post by plwk »

Correct me if I am wrong but that mantra in Chinese looks like the Dharma Protector Setrap's...and btw...
the bottom pic logos on the left and right, they kinda looks like the logo of the True Buddha School?
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

I keep my full concentration on chanting my mantras in my heart for about ten minutes.Then I stop chanting. I then shift my attention to my breath paying close attention to the tips of my nostrils which feel a little cold as I breathe.
Last edited by nirmal on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I sit, recite the Four Dharmas of Gampopa, The Kagyu Lineage Supplication, and Refuge Prayer (in that order).

At this point I often perform a short Vajrasattva practice.

After that, I do Shamatha for 20 minutes.

After that I do the 7-Branch Prayer. If I do my Chenrezig practice, I skip the 7BP as the Chenrezig Sandhana contains it already.

Then I dedicate the merit.

Done.
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

Chaz wrote:I sit, recite the Four Dharmas of Gampopa, The Kagyu Lineage Supplication, and Refuge Prayer (in that order).

At this point I often perform a short Vajrasattva practice.

After that, I do Shamatha for 20 minutes.

After that I do the 7-Branch Prayer. If I do my Chenrezig practice, I skip the 7BP as the Chenrezig Sandhana contains it already.

Then I dedicate the merit.

Done.
Thank you for sharing Chaz.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

nirmal wrote:Well,today I wish to talk about how I start my meditation session and hope to pick up some tips from you too in your posts here.I am no guru and am very poor in enlightenment but we could share and learn.

I begin with prostrations, seven times when I am feeling fresh or 21 times if I feel sleepy.This really wakes me up. Then I sit in front of my altar and start chanting with my mala.I do at least seven rounds of my Yidam mantra and seven rounds of my Protector's mantra when busy.With my mala around my neck and palms folded in front of my body, I visualize my mother(moon) sitting on my right and my father(Sun) sitting on my left.Seated right behind me is my direct family and then my indirect family.Behind them are my ancestors and finally all sentient beings.Then I visualize my Yidam (Kuan Yin) sending rays of white light into our bodies through the top of our heads. The light fills our bodies sending dirt, pus, germs ect. out of our bodies through the pores of my our skin.Then I visualize Kwan Yin coming down from my altar and standing in front of me.She puts her hand on our heads and beams of solid white light refills our bodies.(If I use the Buddhas, they shine golden light into our bodies)

Next, I do the Protectors Mudra(shown below) and they shine light on me to give me their protection.I visualize them coming down from my altar and standing in the four corners of my room.

Next, I take a quick breath in through my nose and hold my breath.I gulp whatever air I have in my mouth and start concentrating on the ball of energy moving down my throat.I guide it down the central nadi until it hits the naval chakra making it spin like an exhaust fan.I can feel it spinning.I have started my meditation engine. Slowly I bring the energy up to my throat chakra and it starts spinning too.Then I bring the energy down to my heart chakra and spin it too. With three chakras spinning, I start chanting in my heart.All sentient beings also do the same.

I chant "Om Po Ru Lan Cher Li" which is a very rare protectors mantra.I use the clock method.This clock has only one long hand.I visualize it lying on my heart(along the central nadi) facing upwards. I chant Om at 12 o'clock, Po at 2 o'clock, Ru at 4 o'clock Lan at 6 o'clock, Cher at 8 o'clock and Li at 10 o'clock. The whole process is repeated over and over again.At times I spin all three chakras at the same time.I feel the joy of the vibrations within my body.This works very well for me.

This is how I start each of my meditation sessions. Please share so that we could all benefit.

Normally in Vajrayana, Yidam and Protector practices, mudras and mantras are not to be revealed to others who do not hold the same empowerments from the same guru.
Are you sure your root guru would permit this?
Left
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

True Yeshe.

nirmal, please feel free to edit your post if you'd like. :smile:
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Su DongPo

Post by Su DongPo »

plwk wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but that mantra in Chinese looks like the Dharma Protector Setrap's...and btw...
the bottom pic logos on the left and right, they kinda looks like the logo of the True Buddha School?
I think it is the "True Buddha School."

Here is there English web page: http://www.tbsn.org/english2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another page with the logo on it: http://www.tbsnorthampton.org.uk/english/temple.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About Grand Master Lu: http://tbsn.org/english2/gm1.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Top line reads "Shan Da Gen Buddhist Meditation Group" Is "Shan Da Gen" / 山打根 Setrap in Chinese? I think plwk would know.
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

Yeshe wrote:
nirmal wrote:Well,today I wish to talk about how I start my meditation session and hope to pick up some tips from you too in your posts here.I am no guru and am very poor in enlightenment but we could share and learn.

I begin with prostrations, seven times when I am feeling fresh or 21 times if I feel sleepy.This really wakes me up. Then I sit in front of my altar and start chanting with my mala.I do at least seven rounds of my Yidam mantra and seven rounds of my Protector's mantra when busy.With my mala around my neck and palms folded in front of my body, I visualize my mother(moon) sitting on my right and my father(Sun) sitting on my left.Seated right behind me is my direct family and then my indirect family.Behind them are my ancestors and finally all sentient beings.Then I visualize my Yidam (Kuan Yin) sending rays of white light into our bodies through the top of our heads. The light fills our bodies sending dirt, pus, germs ect. out of our bodies through the pores of my our skin.Then I visualize Kwan Yin coming down from my altar and standing in front of me.She puts her hand on our heads and beams of solid white light refills our bodies.(If I use the Buddhas, they shine golden light into our bodies)

Next, I do the Protectors Mudra(shown below) and they shine light on me to give me their protection.I visualize them coming down from my altar and standing in the four corners of my room.

Next, I take a quick breath in through my nose and hold my breath.I gulp whatever air I have in my mouth and start concentrating on the ball of energy moving down my throat.I guide it down the central nadi until it hits the naval chakra making it spin like an exhaust fan.I can feel it spinning.I have started my meditation engine. Slowly I bring the energy up to my throat chakra and it starts spinning too.Then I bring the energy down to my heart chakra and spin it too. With three chakras spinning, I start chanting in my heart.All sentient beings also do the same.

I chant "Om Po Ru Lan Cher Li" which is a very rare protectors mantra.I use the clock method.This clock has only one long hand.I visualize it lying on my heart(along the central nadi) facing upwards. I chant Om at 12 o'clock, Po at 2 o'clock, Ru at 4 o'clock Lan at 6 o'clock, Cher at 8 o'clock and Li at 10 o'clock. The whole process is repeated over and over again.At times I spin all three chakras at the same time.I feel the joy of the vibrations within my body.This works very well for me.

This is how I start each of my meditation sessions. Please share so that we could all benefit.

Normally in Vajrayana, Yidam and Protector practices, mudras and mantras are not to be revealed to others who do not hold the same empowerments from the same guru.
Are you sure your root guru would permit this?
This is the second time you have asked me this question.You must have a very good reason.Thus I'll oblige.
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

mr. gordo wrote:True Yeshe.

nirmal, please feel free to edit your post if you'd like. :smile:
Done, sir.
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

Su DongPo wrote:
plwk wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but that mantra in Chinese looks like the Dharma Protector Setrap's...and btw...
I think it is the "True Buddha School."

Here is there English web page: http://www.tbsn.org/english2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another page with the logo on it: http://www.tbsnorthampton.org.uk/english/temple.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About Grand Master Lu: http://tbsn.org/english2/gm1.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Top line reads "Shan Da Gen Buddhist Meditation Group" Is "Shan Da Gen" / 山打根 Setrap in Chinese? I think plwk would know.
Aiya,nothing to do with my school or my guru, but good reading material.Thanks
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

nirmal wrote:Aiya,nothing to do with my school or my guru, but good reading material.Thanks
Haha, glad to hear this nirmal. :smile:
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Su DongPo

Post by Su DongPo »

Hi nirmal,

There was a question about the content of the image your posted, so I did a search and then zeroed in on the Chinese. The "True Buddha" school originates from Taiwan, so I was naturally curious when I found that lead.

I had no intent to criticism your practice, I hope you understand.

Best wishes, as always.
Dongpo
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

Su DongPo wrote:Hi nirmal,

There was a question about the content of the image you posted and I zeroed in on the Chinese. I had no intent to criticism your practice, I hope you understand.

Best wishes, as always.
Dongpo
No worry brother, I understood your message well.You were just focusing on the content of the image.You had no other intentions. You don't step on people's feet. That is your nature.

Anyway the method of meditation has basically nothing much to do with my guru's teaching.I was asked to assist a small group of four newcomers in meditation. I changed the way of meditation and they have progressed very fast.Even swallowing the air in the mouth and concentrating on the ball of energy to start spinning the chakras was my own creation through my observance and so were a few other things.I even went through the dying process and came back to life kicking like a baby .There is nothing secret or sacred about the methods.Others have written books on it but there were a few things they did not mention.Aiya, never mind, it's better to keep quiet about them.But there's one thing that I'd like to tell you.Always chant before starting meditation.Then NOTHING CAN GO WRONG.Latest snake story, any?
Last edited by nirmal on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Su DongPo

Post by Su DongPo »

nirmal wrote:Latest snake story, any?
Nope. Snakes are all a-slumber till the springtime.

Cheers,
Dongpo

Return to “Meditation”