Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:34 am 

Belting out a chant, especially in company, can feel really good. Though I am sure its benefits go well beyond plain enjoyment. I have never particularly liked chanting in English, why could that be?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:18 am 

odysseus wrote:
Can I be a Buddhist and not take part in chanting? I see chanting as a bit New-age and don`t want to take part in it. I´m not a very good singer anyway... I can meditate, though! Thanks.

Sure, no problem. Chanting / recitation is just the means to accustom / habituate the mind to the Dharma. But, it's not the only way. Still, got to get the Dharma there somehow, so it's not just a matter of no chanting means whatever one likes (not that you are doing this, just saying).

~~ Huifeng

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:53 am 

Huifeng wrote:
odysseus wrote:
Can I be a Buddhist and not take part in chanting? I see chanting as a bit New-age and don`t want to take part in it. I´m not a very good singer anyway... I can meditate, though! Thanks.

Sure, no problem. Chanting / recitation is just the means to accustom / habituate the mind to the Dharma. But, it's not the only way. Still, got to get the Dharma there somehow, so it's not just a matter of no chanting means whatever one likes (not that you are doing this, just saying).

~~ Huifeng

Note: I don´t see e.g. Tibetan monks chanting as New Age. I thought about som "satsang" things that I´ve seen. Like "new age mushy-mushy Buddhism" somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:27 am 

odysseus wrote:

chanting is a very old form old meditation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajapa_japa

if you are uncomfortable with chanting out-loud you can chant inside your head without chanting out-loud.

I started chanting inside my head cause doing it out loud freaked out my wife and mom initially (they are use to it now)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:59 am 

Son of Buddha wrote:

chanting is a very old form old meditation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajapa_japa

if you are uncomfortable with chanting out-loud you can chant inside your head without chanting out-loud.

I started chanting inside my head cause doing it out loud freaked out my wife and mom initially (they are use to it now)

*lol* - thanks for sharing and the tip. I say mantras but have no long scriptures to chant. :anjali:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:05 pm 
Global Moderator

Sound is a fairly direct way to examine impermanence.
Obviously, a lot more to chanting than that, but if you are looking for reasons to do it, it has all kinds of meditative uses, and it's not something separate from meditation, use of sound IS a form of meditation.

If you want to get more comfortable with sound, there is stuff like sounding "ah" or "hum" as an object of focus, which can be a form of shamatha. Gotta ask..are you sure you just aren't uncomfortable making sounds out loud? When I started with Vajrayana practices I felt the exact same way, I felt really "new age" or something similar and self conscious..felt weird even doing it with other people. Eventually that went away and I now see how incredibly valuable the techniques are, IME sound can transform your thoughts, and have an effect on your mind very quickly.

in addition, things like aspiration prayers, which also used to feel very funny to me, really seem powerful to me now by virtue of the fact that I am saying out loud my wish to achieve something, and saying I will put effort towards it. Personally, this would not have had the same effect I don't think, were it done silently, or just as an abstract thought.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:43 pm 

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Gotta ask..are you sure you just aren't uncomfortable making sounds out loud? When I started with Vajrayana practices I felt the exact same way, I felt really "new age" or something similar and self conscious..felt weird even doing it with other people.

I don´t know! I tried saying Namo Shakyamuni to someone and he started to giggle like a child *lol*. I would prefer to make sounds in my own company or sing a mantra to a receptive listener. Nobody understands Sanskrit so maybe I should say it in western language: Bless your heart, you perfect being to come :toilet: .

I will try this more if I get a closer relationship to my tantric lama.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:31 pm 

Well, you can also just hum a little.

Your vibrating vocal chords have a relaxing effect on a wide part of your body, particularly your head and neck area that doesn't get too much relaxation otherwise.

You can even channel it to different, more distant body parts by concentration.

Why not make use of this.
There's not really much more to it.

Regards
Gwenn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:33 pm 

odysseus wrote:
I don´t know! I tried saying Namo Shakyamuni to someone and he started to giggle like a child *lol*. I would prefer to make sounds in my own company or sing a mantra to a receptive listener. Nobody understands Sanskrit so maybe I should say it in western language: Bless your heart, you perfect being to come :toilet: .

I will try this more if I get a closer relationship to my tantric lama.

:cheers:

I would never chant to my work colleagues, they wouldn't get it. Just like an atheist might have trouble understanding why a Christian prays to god.

Chanting, I think, is to be done in a group with your fellow practitioners or at home as part of your personal practice.