Wow - this really works

Northern Light

Wow - this really works

Post by Northern Light »

I first learned to meditate (FWBO Centre) 16 years ago. And for 16 years I had tried to find comfort, growth, peace and stillness from various meditation practices... and I have failed. I know they work for some. I really acknowledge that. But for me, I found no peace in any meditation practices. I was thus drawn to Pure Land practice and initially got some comfort from this but after some time I just struggled to sit back, accept I was a hopeless human and put all my faith to Amida to 'save me'. I abandoned Pure Land practice.

In the past I had looked (as many people do) at Nichiren Buddhism and thought a variety of 'opinions' such as "that's not real Buddhism". I also looked at the SGI and found some things about it alarming. I am in the North of England where there is absolutely no SGI presence, or meetings that I am aware of - but I found a website that was set up by a guy in the US who is an independent but fully commited Nichiren-Shu Buddhist. Inspired, I printed off the Gongyo liturgy, I bookmarked a YouTube video that helps with pronounciation and I started to practice each day. This was only a few days ago. I do Gongyo in the morning (about 15 mins), followed by 10 mins of Namu Myoho Renge Kyo, and then 2 or 3 more sessions of Namu Myoho Renge Kyo throught the day.

Unbelievably (I can be a cynical guy), I am starting to feel better already. My depression is lifting, and I am feeling more positive, more engaged. Perhaps this is a psychological effect but I don't care. My Daimoku practice is making me feel better, happier and more positive than I have done in years. Also (although I am practicing alone), less isolated somehow. After Gonyo and Daimoku I feel better than I have after 2 hour sessions of trying sitting mindfulness meditations.

For me, this really works.

Regardless how you may feel about Nichiren Buddhism and/or SGI, you should try practicing Daimoku; especially if you have or are finding more mainstream Buddhist practice is not enriching your life or giving you peace and happiness.

Namu Myoho Renge Kyo!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nichiren Buddhist.
My lifetime outlook: "...just take the good.... there is always bad..... but just take the good". :)
rory

Re: Wow - this really works

Post by rory »

Northern Light; I've studied Tendai and practiced Nichiren Buddhism and I can tell you that chanting Daimoku is an entirely authentic Mahayana practice, so no worries! Jacqueline Stone a scholar at Princeton College has shown that people chanted the title of the Lotus Sutra in Japan before Nichiren, and I won't go into the big philosophical explanation. If it's helping you go right ahead!

SGI is indeed neo-buddhist and culty. But there is mainstream Nichiren Shu in London: http://www.nichiren-shu.org.uk/ When I lived in Ireland they were great sending me dharma talks and the priest even visited me (2003'ish). Honomon Butsuryu Shu is in Italy with a temple
http://www.hbsitalia.it/ So you can practice.
with gassho
rory

PS nice lecture in English by Rev. Fukuoka (click Rev. Odoshi Nisso Fukuoka, introduzione) from HBS in Italia and chanting discussion http://www.hbsitalia.it/liturgia.html the rest are really nice sound files from the temple of a chanting session anyone could follow along with.
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Northern Light

Post by Northern Light »

Thank you very much for the kind comments, Rory, and I intend to make contact with that London Nichiren-Shu Temple. Perhaps I will visit it this year too.

:twothumbsup:
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nichiren Buddhist.
My lifetime outlook: "...just take the good.... there is always bad..... but just take the good". :)
dude

Post by dude »

My objections to Nichiren Shu are doctrinal and not related to my direct experience, but we can agree on one thing : gongyo and daimoku work.
rory

Post by rory »

Totally agree with you Dude :twothumbsup:
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
dude

Post by dude »

gassho.
I agree with the thing about pressure that you mentioned on another thread too. People should feel free to chant as much or as little as they want, or to attend meetings in accord with their free time and sense of commitment.
lobster

Post by lobster »

For me, this really works
:woohoo:
Good news.
I recently went to a SGI meet to see what all the noise was about . . .
Culty? Maybe.
People were friendly or brainwashed dependent on how being contented comes across. The chant leaders voice was played back at high volume but the chanting is chanting, with many benefits . . .

So glad to hear of your success. I would ideally do what works and keep a door open to other practices too. :thumbsup:

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

Northern Light wrote:I first learned to meditate (FWBO Centre) 16 years ago. And for 16 years I had tried to find comfort, growth, peace and stillness from various meditation practices... and I have failed. I know they work for some. I really acknowledge that. But for me, I found no peace in any meditation practices. I was thus drawn to Pure Land practice and initially got some comfort from this but after some time I just struggled to sit back, accept I was a hopeless human and put all my faith to Amida to 'save me'. I abandoned Pure Land practice.
The Pure Land Sutras do not say you are hopeless and cannot attain Enlightenment,this view is a common "interpretation" in Japan but other Pure land groups in China,Vietnam and elsewhere do not share these views,but instead incorrperate meditation and self based practices in their Pure Land faith.
why abandon Pure land practice....Amitabha's Pure Land is taught in the Lotus Sutra.
In the past I had looked (as many people do) at Nichiren Buddhism and thought a variety of 'opinions' such as "that's not real Buddhism".
Nichiren Buddhism is very much real Buddhism.unfortunately many people see something that is different from what they are doing and they treat it as a witch that must be burned at the stake.just ignore the "haters"
I also looked at the SGI and found some things about it alarming. I am in the North of England where there is absolutely no SGI presence, or meetings that I am aware of - but I found a website that was set up by a guy in the US who is an independent but fully commited Nichiren-Shu Buddhist. Inspired, I printed off the Gongyo liturgy, I bookmarked a YouTube video that helps with pronounciation and I started to practice each day. This was only a few days ago. I do Gongyo in the morning (about 15 mins), followed by 10 mins of Namu Myoho Renge Kyo, and then 2 or 3 more sessions of Namu Myoho Renge Kyo throught the day.

Unbelievably (I can be a cynical guy), I am starting to feel better already. My depression is lifting, and I am feeling more positive, more engaged. Perhaps this is a psychological effect but I don't care. My Daimoku practice is making me feel better, happier and more positive than I have done in years. Also (although I am practicing alone), less isolated somehow. After Gonyo and Daimoku I feel better than I have after 2 hour sessions of trying sitting mindfulness meditations.

For me, this really works.

Regardless how you may feel about Nichiren Buddhism and/or SGI, you should try practicing Daimoku; especially if you have or are finding more mainstream Buddhist practice is not enriching your life or giving you peace and happiness.

Namu Myoho Renge Kyo!
this is awesome,do what you feel is right and what you have experienced to actually work for you. Find like minded people to support you and never look back.

Namu Dai-hatsu Nehan Kyo

Return to “Nichiren”