Is the Sikh religion influenced by (even based on) Dzogchen?

Simon E.

Re: Is the Sikh religion influenced by (even based on) Dzogc

Post by Simon E. »

Well thank you for putting us right about what HHDL SHOULD have said... 8-)
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
muni

Post by muni »

Simon E. wrote:Well thank you for putting us right about what HHDL SHOULD have said... 8-)
When I write it so, this means it is not dependent on whether he said that or not, rather dependent on the clarity of Mind. And I don't doubt His Holiness is not looking through compliment-giving clinging mind but wisdom.
Therefore no clinging flattery but genuine respect. Bodhichitta.

:yinyang:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Yes.
As usual I have no idea what you are on about.
For which I will take responsibility.

Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

Simon E. wrote:Yes.
Nor do I know what you are on about, sir.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Shemmy wrote:
Simon E. wrote:Yes.
Nor do I know what you are on about, sir.
Well thats OK then isn't it ? We can agree mutual bafflement. Thats quite alright too.

Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

Dear Simon,

Seems that creating bafflement wasn't your intention a week ago, and you seemed to be trying to make a point saying you didn't "believe a word" of an account I'd posted on this thread. Perhaps the thrill of that bygone era has passed and I am merely passing gas with this posting, but the topic and the enigma of what you said is interesting to me. In fact, I decided not to do much formal practice tonight just so I could clarify things here and ask you to clarify your responses to my post.

Also, I did read your 2nd response to my story via your response to Admantine's post saying that he thought the story I recounted on this thread was true. If you cannot recall my story, it was regarding a Sikh guy who hosts Vajrayana teachers and a particular Nyingma lama who had said that it was true that Guru Nanak was indeed quite involved with Tibetan Buddhism for a time at the very least. Your response to Admantine's post was "people say all sorts of things don't they ?"

I then posted and asked you what you meant by saying you didn't believe a word of my story and it didn't seem as tho you would respond, perhaps you thought why bother he hasn't even read my second post and you seemed to be more concerned with hashing something out with Mr./Ms. Muni.

To clarify, I'd like to say I am sincerely interested to hear what you have to say about anything I had said in my story and why you think "people are say(ing) all sorts of things," whatever that means. I guess it means that you think that because people often speak without thinking too much about what they are saying that the Sikh and the lama were doing the same and we should just drop the topic and dismiss it as they are just saying things to pass the time or whatever? But I think it is clear that my host being from a Sikh background and who now seems to have converted to Buddhism and the lama regard such matters as being important enough as to not have just said any old thing. Think about it, it is quite likely that such matters would be important enough to such people as to not just sit down and start spinning fairy tales about Guru Nanak and Vajrayana between cracking their knuckles and singing old Kentucky whiskey drinking songs that they also had just made up. "Oh that old girl Virginia!/Why she shore could milk a cow!/Milked 5,000 in a day/And all the people said Oh Wow!" No. Both guys are commited practitioners so they would not take that kind of thing lightly.

Saying something non-baffling about what you know about Guru Nanak in Tibet or the connection of Dzogchen to Sikh philosophy and practice or lack thereof might be more interesting or even inspiring than some flash cryptic remarks or songs about cow milking. Perhaps there is something you know that I don't that would cause you to view the discussion on this thread or my story or things people said to me regarding Guru Nanak and Dzogchen as just things people say?

I don't post or comment hardly at all on this web site, so I don't think I would be just trying to fill the time with made up yarns or the kind of vaporous posts you seem to be suggesting I make. If you were annoyed by something I said on some other discussion topic, I apologize, I don't think I meant to piss you off.

If I have misinterpreted your recent remarks and taken the wrong end of the stick, then I apologize. But your aphoristic comments in response to my story run more of risk of misinterpretation, so maybe you would be generous enough to cut me a bit of slack and clarify what you had to say. As for any bafflement I may have just created, that is not my intention, thank you for being arsed enough to read this post this far and perhaps even respond.

Struggling here, Shem
Last edited by Adamantine on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected to address the correct recipient
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Shemmy, why on earth would you do less practice tonight in order to communicate your beliefs to some anonymous guy on the internet ?
Seriously.
My views about your views need not concern you, and the degree of your concern seems at odds with the whole raison d'etre of Dzogchen.
:namaste:

tobes

Post by tobes »

Virgo wrote:
deepbluehum wrote: Sikhs go to worship the creator in the sky
phpBB [video]
I'm not normally one for New Agey music, but I did check out that link, and then I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3zUYK4YU8M

Regardless of the question at stake in this thread, it's pretty hard to deny what is beautiful.

:anjali:
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

Simon E. wrote:Shemmy, why on earth would you do less practice tonight in order to communicate your beliefs to some anonymous guy on the internet ?
Seriously.
My views about your views need not concern you, and the degree of your concern seems at odds with the whole raison d'etre of Dzogchen.
:namaste:
You are right, I should have spent my time practicing. But if your views need not concern me,then why suggest that they ought to by posting responses to my posts. That's a rhetorical question and I won't checking back in for the answer, so I wouldn't waste any more of your own time with any of this either.
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

tobes wrote:
Virgo wrote:
deepbluehum wrote: Sikhs go to worship the creator in the sky
phpBB [video]
I'm not normally one for New Agey music, but I did check out that link, and then I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3zUYK4YU8M

Regardless of the question at stake in this thread, it's pretty hard to deny what is beautiful.

She isn't a sikh. Beautiful is the first time you listen to side 2 of Abbey Road. She is not.
tobes

Post by tobes »

If you don't hear beauty, you don't hear beauty. No problemo my friend.

Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

Her voice doesn't negate the cult she belongs to or the spiritual misguidance she transmits.
tobes

Post by tobes »

Sherab Rigdrol wrote:Her voice doesn't negate the cult she belongs to or the spiritual misguidance she transmits.
Jeez mate, way to lay a heavy trip on some sound.....
Vajraprajnakhadga

Post by Vajraprajnakhadga »

There are many shared elements across all mystical traditions. I would say that that is more the result of direct experiences of non-duality than direct influence but you never know.
muni

Post by muni »

Vajraprajnakhadga wrote:There are many shared elements across all mystical traditions. I would say that that is more the result of direct experiences of non-duality than direct influence but you never know.
Interesting. The "I-you" are artists, drawing ideas by percieved apprehended phenomenal differences. Therefore I don't know and I guess nondual nature has no thing to prove/divide.

Awaken guidance is not bounded.

Return to “Dzogchen”