Garchen Rinpoche In Seattle Live Webcast

Here we can publicise upcoming dharma events (talks, retreats, webcasts, etc).
VajraLion

Garchen Rinpoche In Seattle Live Webcast

Post by VajraLion »

"We are thrilled to welcome HE Garchen Rinpoche back to Seattle to teach March 7-16, 2014. For those of you unable to join us we will be live streaming the teachings. Please share this information with your interested friends. Further program details are posted on our website: www.drikungseattle.com

The following teachings will be live streamed on our YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DrikungSeattleCenter
"

Saturday, March 8th
10am-12pm: Amitabha empowerment
2pm-5pm: Four Causes to be Reborn in Dewachen

Sunday, March 9th
10am-12pm: Phowa teachings
2pm-5pm: Phowa practice

Friday, March 14th
10am-12pm: Lama Chopa prayer teachings
2pm-5pm: White Tara empowerment

Saturday, March 15th
9am-12pm: Shitro empowerment
2pm-5pm: Bardo teachings

Sunday, March 16th
The Tibetan Buddhist holy day known as Chotrul Duchen, "The Day of Miracles"
10am-12pm: Bardo teachings
2pm-5pm: Taking refuge ceremony, Bardo teachings and Lama Chopa Tsog
ཨོཾ Through blood, sweat and tears the solution appears: The pride needs defended by a Lion! ཨོཾ
VajraLion

Re: Garchen Rinpoche In Seattle Live Webcast

Post by VajraLion »

Advise from Rinpoche about taking empowerments online:
"Question: Do I actually receive the empowerment online?"
"The touching of the vase to the crown of the head is the outer empowerment. The inner empowerment is to visualize yourself as the deity. The real empowerment is to realize the nature of your mind.

When you cultivate bodhicitta, that is the real deity, and when you do this, that is when you actually receive the empowerment over the internet.

If you live near the temple and think, ‘Oh, I don’t need to go to the temple; I can just receive the empowerment over the internet,’ that is not the right motivation. If you have the opportunity to come to the temple, then you should come.

If you don’t live nearby and cannot come, but with all your heart would like to, that is the right motivation for receiving the empowerment over the internet." -HE Garchen Rinpoche
ཨོཾ Through blood, sweat and tears the solution appears: The pride needs defended by a Lion! ཨོཾ
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

I think I qualify for the "not near temple" part, since I live on the other side of the planet. Do empowerments with very horrible internet connections and thus very stuttery streams count? :rolling:
Do they need to be live, or is it okay if you buffer them for an hour and then receive them? Technically there is a lag of a couple hundred milliseconds anyway, although I suppose it is a stretch to extend it to an hour.
Somehow I sense the answers to the above questions will be negative. :(
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

LolCat wrote:I think I qualify for the "not near temple" part, since I live on the other side of the planet. Do empowerments with very horrible internet connections and thus very stuttery streams count? :rolling:
Do they need to be live, or is it okay if you buffer them for an hour and then receive them? Technically there is a lag of a couple hundred milliseconds anyway, although I suppose it is a stretch to extend it to an hour.
Garchen Rinpoche has expressed the belief that empowerments can be received from recorded videos too.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
LolCat wrote:I think I qualify for the "not near temple" part, since I live on the other side of the planet. Do empowerments with very horrible internet connections and thus very stuttery streams count? :rolling:
Garchen Rinpoche has expressed the belief that empowerments can be received from recorded videos too.
That... is honestly surprising to me. But :woohoo:

Is this a commonly held belief or somewhat rare? No one would be searching around for empowerments if you had a whole bunch of them up on youtube right?
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

There was one webcast empowerment with Garchen Rinpoche where they lost the stream in the middle of the empowerment long enough to miss some important things. I wrote and asked if I needed to do this over and the answer back was no, I had received everything. Also, Garchen Rinpoche is only talking about his empowerments, not those of other Lamas.
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

I just came upon this:
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=14135

It seems the videos are still online, I will take my queries to that thread, thank you for the replies. :smile:
Soap-Bubble

Post by Soap-Bubble »

Sherab Dorje wrote:Garchen Rinpoche has expressed the belief that empowerments can be received from recorded videos too.
How did he do it: over the webcast, in a letter? Can you point me to his words?

My main teacher doesn't believe in offline empowerments, and it's not that I disbelieve Garchen Rinpoche speaking about his own teachings, I just would really really like to be 100% sure that Garchen Rinpoche has said so and that I've seen those words and they were not misinterpreted. Your help will be appreciated.
a soap-bubble represents radiant emptiness
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Soap-Bubble wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:Garchen Rinpoche has expressed the belief that empowerments can be received from recorded videos too.
How did he do it: over the webcast, in a letter? Can you point me to his words?
A couple of "letters". Do a site search here for some former Garchen Rinpoche threads, you will find the "letters" there.
My main teacher doesn't believe in offline empowerments...
Your main teacher is not Garchen Rinpoche so what does it matter what they believe about what Garchen Rinpoche believes? Most teachers don't believe in the efficacy of online empowerments period. :shrug:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Dharma Events”