Who are the best teachers of non-duality?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Thomas_Pynchon

Who are the best teachers of non-duality?

Post by Thomas_Pynchon »

MP3 download links or utube videos or website would be appreciated. I have taken a lot from Peter brown's talks mainly because he predominately answers audience questions most of the time and so manages to present a great deal from multiple perspectives. Any personal recommendations please share, Thanks!
Russell

Re: Who are the best teachers of non-duality?

Post by Russell »

The one that you will go and sit with and be with and not just read about.

Books are dead, an authentic teacher is something alive and responsive to you. They will be your bridge to the real dharma, which is something beyond mind, jhanas, and anything else you can define or read about. If you understand this then of course books can be useful too. But, this is really a danger, there are many teachers that are intellectually stimulating to read and watch as videos but this doesn't mean they can really be in nondual presence with you.

Sorry, just wanted to emphasise this point, but I am sure others will actually answer your question.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Have a look at Science and Non-Duality http://www.scienceandnonduality.com.

It is a conference that runs twice a year, once in California, the other in Europe. Links there to a lot of resources, teachers and sites.

Also

http://nondualityamerica.wordpress.com

Also Greg Goode's site. One of his associates and friends is Tomas Sander, have a look at http://theidproject.org/media/podcast/w ... mas-sander

As to who I learned the most from, I would have to say the first books I encountered, which included First and Last Freedom by Krishnamurti, The Teachings of Ramana Maharishi, and The Way of Zen by Alan Watts.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Soar wrote:Books are dead, an authentic teacher is something alive and responsive to you.
If it's is NONDUAL , then books & teacher are the same :)
Rick

Post by Rick »

My favorites are Rupert Spira and Jeff Foster. Both are bright, articulate, and seem genuinely to have gotten it.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
greentara

Post by greentara »

The best teachers of non duality are Ramana Maharshi and Nisargadatta, they seem to have influenced all teachers since.... now there are only copycats and clones churned out.
lobster

Post by lobster »

Books are dead
Indeed. As are devices that we read from. We give them life and meaning. In a similar way attending a live 'talking book' is no better unless we find them useful and meaningful. :smile:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Why is everybody so down on duality?

:shrug:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

depends on if you want a sense of your humanity in the end... the flavors are many
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
greentara

Post by greentara »

Dzogchungpa, Remember....'the great way is not difficult for those who have no preferences' Words with opposites are values. We need them to communicate but they are all a part of the duality of the mind.

In addition.. Emptiness is form and form is Emptiness. In the ultimate non dual state which is not a 'state' There is no you and me. There is no this nor that. This is just the illusion of thinking.

What is the opposite of solid objects? What is the opposite of a flute or a fork ? In each of these cases, the opposite of existence is nonexistence. The final desperate battle of the mind is to deal with this duality.
Who are you? Are you your name, is it set in concrete? Are you your body? How strongly do we all identify with this body/mind?

It is this dualistic thinking that has trapped all of us from seeing the world as it is.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Doesn't "non-dual" usually mean that samsara and nirvana are the same thing when speaking in a buddhist context?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
plwk

Post by plwk »

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"By & large, Kaccayana, this world is supported by (takes as its object) a polarity, that of existence & non-existence.
But when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one.
When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one.
https://www2.hf.uio.no/polyglotta/index ... d=&level=2
The Dharma taught by Buddhas perfectly relies on two truths: the ambiguous truths of the world and the truths of the sublime meaning.
Those who do not understand the division into two truths, cannot understand the profound reality of the Buddha’s teaching.
Without relying on conventions, the sublime meaning cannot be taught.
Without understanding the sublime meaning, one will not attain nirvana.
Vimalakirti Sutra: Chapter 9: The Dharma-Door of Non-duality
Lankavatara Sutra: Chapter 2: Collection of All Dharmas: XXVII: On Emptiness (sunyata), No-birth, and Non-duality
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

(no longer participating on this board)
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

(no longer participating on this board)
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

First ones that come to mind are the old Chan ancestors like Seng-ts'an, Hui-neng, Huang-po, etc. But of course you can't ask them any questions because they are dead. The very best teacher of non-duality? Looking into your own mind, since that is how all these people found this nonduality stuff to begin with. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Hello,

the videos of Mooji on youtube have been a great source lately. He's always straight to the point, without any fancies.

The speeches of Krishnamurti, Ramana Maharishi or Papaji are also a good help.
And of course: Years of contemplating over the first couple pages of the Tao Te King can also help :zwi:
I find Taoism a very good non-dualist source.

Regards
Gwenn
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!
Osho

Post by Osho »

Tony Parsons for a contemporary take....
http://holybooks.lichtenbergpress.netdn ... Parson.pdf
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The best teacher of non-duality is the Buddha. The rest are pale imitations.
greentara

Post by greentara »

A lot of these pop up teachers remind me of a saying of Alan Watts "anybody who tries to teach you enlightenment is like someone who picks your pocket and then tries to sell you your own watch"
Vajraprajnakhadga

Post by Vajraprajnakhadga »

smcj wrote:Doesn't "non-dual" usually mean that samsara and nirvana are the same thing when speaking in a buddhist context?
Yes. Buddhist non-dualism is completely summed up in the Heart Sutra.

Return to “Lounge”