YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Transfering Merit - Dhamma Wheel

Transfering Merit

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Yana

Transfering Merit

Postby Yana » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:31 am

Hi Everyone :smile: ,

Reading through some dhamma books i came across the term "tranfering merits" and i don't know what that means. Could someone help me understand.

1.What is Transfering Merits?
2.How is it Done?
3.Who Benefits from it?
4.Do you Do it?If so How?
5.And also how can you transfer any merits at all when each and every person is the owner of their own kamma? For example,when i do something wholesome,can i do it for someone else? Like if i donate money can i do it for say my parents so that they'll encounter the dhamma,or a dead relative,or some poor woman i read in the news..etc..so that their lives would be better? Would this imply that i have less merits left which means my life would be more miserable.Because i gave away the good bits.:tongue: lol.

I am sorry if my understandings very poor.Can you teach me :reading: :hug:
Life is preparing for Death

cooran

Re: Transfering Merit

Postby cooran » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:34 am

Hi Yana,

This has been discussed before, and you may find this thread helpful:
Transfer of Merit
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1068

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:36 pm

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Yana

Postby Yana » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:54 am

Thank you Chris,Ben,I also want to learn to share merits. :anjali: :hug: :heart:

DAWN

Postby DAWN » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:34 am

Verse 43: Not a mother, nor a father, nor any other relative can do more for the well-being of one than a rightly-directed mind can.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...

nem

Postby nem » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:05 am

I went to my local Therevada center today, and there was ceremony of transferring merit from a couple to deceased relatives of theirs. This center is "Sri Lankan" as the monks and most of the participants are immigrants from there. Perhaps it's different, according to other traditions. The ceremony involved pouring water from one vessel to another, along with words that I do not understand. Friends and relatives of these people traveled from far away to attend this ceremony. We were all invited to also transfer merit to our own relatives, for the sacrifices they made for us. I know from a puritanical standpoint this could be viewed as clinging, but from the standpoint of knowing what sacrifices I have made for my own children, I could immediately understand why if there is any chance that my transfer of merit to my ancestors could help them, they can have all of it. I know what suffering that I have endured for the benefit of my children, and assume that my parents and others before them did the same with the result that I could be here today to hear the Dhamma. So I wholeheartedly participated and I gave all of my merit to them. Perhaps, children and war teach people selflessness and perhaps people with parents and nations should remember who came before them to make possible, this opportunity to learn the Dhamma. Not everyone has the opportunity, it's a gift hard earned by others before me, who blazed the path, maintained the path, gave me freedom to follow it. They can have my merit. I'm just thankful to have this opportunity to learn, and any merit that I've gained, was on the back of others. Like Issac Newton said, " If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" The amount of suffering that brought me to here, today, is immeasurable and I feel my merit should go to those.

Yana

Postby Yana » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:27 am

Hi Nem Thanks for replying! :smile:

I was just wondering about Transfering Merits to Deceased relatives!Oh Truly!What a coincidence for you to reply! :clap: :hug:

After reading the links Cooran has posted I came by such practices but i was unsure whether it was done In Theravada as well.Now i know it is!I haven't joined any Buddhist groups or gone to any Buddhist temples as the are quite a way off and am incredibly shy.But i was wondering if you can do it on our own at home??

Can I dedicate little things i Do for them like Meditating,Donating to a Charity,Revering the Buddha,or Keeping the Precepts to them..I feel very sad :( I know i must have some relatives who are stuck in the Peta World either from this life times or aeons ago..and considering i am the only Buddhist in the family (not that they know this..yet..)but I would really like to help them on a daily basis.

Is this possible to do it on your own or do you need special words,or special chants,or ceremonies.Is it an annual event performed in a temple or can you do it in a simple way everyday? I have started dedicating my merits to all sentient beings.But realizing that the only one that can really benefit from it are deceased family members then can i just change the all sentient beings to my deceased relatives.At least i'll know they'd benefit from it.

Is this possible..? What do all of you think..?

cooran

Postby cooran » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:00 am

Hello Yana, all,

I went to Dhammagiri Forest Monastery on saturday, and we had a Water Pouring ceremony to mark a year since my mothers' death. There were two other people there - one whose husband had been dead four weeks, and one whose mother had been dead five years. We all poured water while the monks chanted the sharing of merits.

A couple more articles:

The Significance of Transference of Merits to the Departed
http://www.budsas.org/ebud/whatbudbeliev/307.htm
"Transference of Merit" in Ceylonese Buddhism By G. P. Malalasekera
http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-PHIL/ew26012.htm

with metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

zavk

Postby zavk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:04 pm

Dear Chris

I don't know if I didn't know or if I forgot that your mother passed away a year ago. The last time I saw you briefly was in June or July last year—you were giving alms at Dhammagiri whilst I was staying there. I understood back then that your mother was in ill-health. I'm sorry to hear about her passing. My belated condolences. And please send my regards to Bhante (you could let him know that I am planning to sit a retreat at Bodhivana sometime in the next month or two; just go to try to get as much of my writing completed during this time while I can).

Take care

:anjali:
With metta,
zavk

dude

Postby dude » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:05 pm

cooran

Postby cooran » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:59 pm

nem

Postby nem » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:20 am

Sylvester

Postby Sylvester » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:33 am

Dmytro

Postby Dmytro » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:21 am

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”