Poll on Theravada Sutta Study

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.

Do You Study Theravada Suttas?

1. Frequently
60%
2. Occasionally
27%
3. Never
13%

Total votes: 30

Nicholas Weeks

Poll on Theravada Sutta Study

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Voters can change their votes.
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
plwk

Re: Poll on Hinayana Sutta Study

Post by plwk »

I only know of Theravada's Pali Suttas...Hinayana? What's that? The latest Mini Cooper?
ground

Re: Poll on Theravada Sutta Study

Post by ground »

These suttas are more important for my practice than the Mahayana sutras because I find the commentarial Mahayana literature more important than the Mahayana sutras.

Kind regards
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I made a systematic study of the Pali literature a long time ago, but now only infrequently return to it. And that's a shame, to be honest.

I find Buddhaghosa's _Path of Purification_ to be a very useful document.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

TMingyur wrote:These suttas are more important for my practice than the Mahayana sutras because I find the commentarial Mahayana literature more important than the Mahayana sutras.

Kind regards
Likewise :namaste:
Tharlam Gyatso

Post by Tharlam Gyatso »

I have voted 'Frequently'
Individual

Post by Individual »

Originally voted frequently but changed it to occasionally.

I only read them occasionally, but it is BETTER to read them as much as possible.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I voted "Never".

What are these so-called "Theraveda" suttras? I didn't know that Theraveda had it's own set of suttras. I do know about Pali texts, but my understanding is that they pre-date what we call Theraveda, so it couldn't possibly be those.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Chaz wrote:I voted "Never".

What are these so-called "Theraveda" suttras? I didn't know that Theraveda had it's own set of suttras. I do know about Pali texts, but my understanding is that they pre-date what we call Theraveda, so it couldn't possibly be those.
What a d***he
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Individual wrote:

What a d***he
Did you forget which forum you're on?

Right Speech
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Individual wrote:

What a d***he

Well Indi, I sorry to disappoint, but yknow, there really is no such thing as "Theravedin" sutras. :jawdrop: Theradvedins did not originally compose what we call the Pali Canon. They have no ownership of said sutras and they aren't the only tradition that uses them, either. To call them "Theravedin", IMO, is meaningless.
User 3495

Post by User 3495 »

I agree - there are no Theravada Sutras just like there are no Nichiren or Zen sutras. Theravada may focus on those sutras more than other schools, but that doesn't make them Theravada (maybe the term "Hinayana" sutras or rather Sravakayana sutras might be better).
But I didn't vote "never" because of that, but because I am more able to make use of Mahayana Sutras.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”