Music time

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
plwk

Re: Music time

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]
reddust

Post by reddust »

Pete Seeger passed, I grew up with his music. The video also has June Carter and Johnny Cash, they all have passed. Brings back memories of sitting in our living room with my family and their friends with their musical instruments playing these songs. That's how we used to entertain ourselves, we played our own instruments and sang to each other. I couldn't sing, but I could play the heck out of the spoons :tongue:
phpBB [video]
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

phpBB [video]
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

phpBB [video]
"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself."
- Rumi
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Akron/Family has some pretty good stuff, their songs have been in a couple movies, IIRC a couple of the guys are Buddhist, in places it's fairly obvious by the lyrics.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
justsit

Post by justsit »

The song is Tam Lin, a traditional ballad from the Scottish Border lands. The more well known version was done by Fairport Convention in 1969. This beautiful acoustic version is done by two American singer-songwriters, Anais Mitchell and Jefferson Hamer.

phpBB [video]
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

phpBB [video]
- Rumi
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

phpBB [video]
- Rumi
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

This is a nice album with a Buddhist theme. It´s really world music but it could be reminding to think of Dharma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlE3AnI1DrE

https://secure.hamrolist.com/products/423
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

George Crumb is a modern classical composer. A piece for piano Makrokomos has twelve parts based on the Zodiac. George Crumb composed two versions of it: Makrokosmos I and Makrokosmos II

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
rob h

Post by rob h »

A few tunes of different styles here.

Electronic/Not really defined :

phpBB [video]

Guitar/Rock/Alternative (You have to be patient with this one. It takes a while to start up.) :

phpBB [video]

Trap Instrumental :

phpBB [video]
"A 'position', Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with." - MN 72
rob h

Post by rob h »

Apologies for so many tunes, but seeing as I'm (or this pile of fabrications, is, at least.) new to this thread :

Punk :

phpBB [video]

Metal :

phpBB [video]

Alternative/Undefined :

phpBB [video]

Electronic :

phpBB [video]

Please try not to get attached to any of the tunes I linked, can't be doing with the karma. :sage: (used to play guitar often, so music is kind of part of me.)
"A 'position', Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with." - MN 72
rob h

Post by rob h »

Last ones. (finishes with a chilled out one.)

Rock/Alternative/Heavy :

phpBB [video]

Electronic :

phpBB [video]

Chilled to finish :

phpBB [video]
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

rob h wrote:Apologies for so many tunes, but seeing as I'm (or this pile of fabrications, is, at least.) new to this thread :

Please try not to get attached to any of the tunes I linked, can't be doing with the karma. :sage: (used to play guitar often, so music is kind of part of me.)
There are probably many people here who have been actively involved in music, and maybe involved for long periods of time. Personally I find that trying to develop meditation requires giving up various things.
When playing music you are very concentrated, concentrated in an emotional way. And it is very hard to give up. But relinguishing music with a motoric rythm, and all the emotions involved with it, seems a necessary step for the development of meditative states, that are by nature very different.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

phpBB [video]
- Rumi
rob h

Post by rob h »

Aemilius wrote: There are probably many people here who have been actively involved in music, and maybe involved for long periods of time. Personally I find that trying to develop meditation requires giving up various things.
When playing music you are very concentrated, concentrated in an emotional way. And it is very hard to give up. But relinguishing music with a motoric rythm, and all the emotions involved with it, seems a necessary step for the development of meditative states, that are by nature very different.
Yeah I know what you mean, and to be honest I rarely listen to any music nowadays. I just get the urge every now and then, then will listen to some of the tunes that I used to prefer over recent years. Went a bit overboard with the linking of videos back there, but probably won't be posting here much now as I don't have a huge amount of favourite tunes anyway. Electronic is generally what I prefer now, (the first video I linked is probably my current favourite of that bunch.) so will maybe link if I manage to find anything decent in the future.
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

I think Fanbei (Dharmic Music) is fine. If you can't let go of it in meditation then you're probably not meditating in a very effective way.

Music is a great way to keep your mind on the Dharma, and also to spread the Dharma. It's been used for this purpose since the Buddha's time when King Prasenajit was moved out of pity not to attack Anga, because a monk sung the Dharma to him so beautifully.

I just wanted to share this, it's so beautiful!:
phpBB [video]
plwk

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

phpBB [video]

BTW, the actual name of the piece is "Sartori in Tangier".
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Media”