Pilgrimage to Sankissa

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
kirtu
Former staff member

Pilgrimage to Sankissa

Post by kirtu »

A pilgrimage to Sankissa, the site where the Buddha is said to have returned from teaching Dharma (specifically Abhidharma) to his mother Mahamayadevi and the gods in the Heaven of 33.

In an Indic language. The stupa and remnants of the Askoha Pillar are shown. There is a small temple there as well. The castle-like structure in red brick on the hill might also be a temple but it is the place where Buddha stepped from the stairway between heaven and earth.

There is a clip somewhere with Thurman also visiting Sankissa.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Aemilius

Re: Pilgrimage to Sankissa

Post by Aemilius »

A good film. It is followed by a whole series of similar videos: Gandamba Tree, the Place where Buddha Performed the Twin Miracle, and many others like it,.. Enjoyable.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Its a gruelling journey. Obviously in life you get back what you put out...but its hard.
The Hindus have ( naturally ) taken it over.. :smile:
You can't blame them for wanting to make a buck or two. The locals are very poor.
I would recommend it. But older people should reflect carefully on the demands of the journey. I would not want to do it again.
I am glad I went though. My trip coincided with a pilgrimage by lots of Ngakpas...that was jolly. :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Do You mean that You have been to Sankissa?
Is this place (Sankissa) in Sravasti Dhammika's pilgrimage guide?
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

If you are addressing me Aemilius;

1) Yes.
2) I have no idea who or what Sravasti Dhammika is.

:namaste:

Punya

Post by Punya »

Aemiliu wrote:Do You mean that You have been o Sankissa?
Is this place (Sankissa) in Sravasti Dhammika's pilgrimage guide?
I have the guide http://store.pariyatti.org/Middle-Land- ... _1477.html but Sankissa doesn't seem to be covered. Is it known by another name as well?
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I think its also spelt Sankassa. Its about 100 miles north east of Agra...but the roads , at least when we went , are bad. It takes a long time.

There has been a major road construction programme in India since then. Whether that includes the part of Uttar Pradesh in question I am unable to say.

Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Simon E. wrote:I think its also spelt Sankassa. Its about 100 miles north east of Agra...but the roads , at least when we went , are bad. It takes a long time.

There has been a major road construction programme in India since then. Whether that includes the part of Uttar Pradesh in question I am unable to say.

A somewhat more detailed narrative would be nice to read, if You have time for it ofcourse: When did it happen? What time of the year? How many of you were there? Did you travel by foot? Etc...

I checked the google map, there is a place Sankisa, Basantpur, Uttarpradesh, India.
svaha
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

May.

No. By hired minibus.

I would guess that Sankisa is an alternative spelling.

Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Thanks!
Your narration is quite minimalistic.
It's nice anyway.
svaha
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

To be honest Aemiillius my memories are dominated by the uncomfortable journey !
It may have changed, but back then 16 years ago the roads were almost non existent.
( Last time i was in India a couple of years ago we were down south in Tamil Nadu and the road building programme there was phenomenal.)
I arrived in Sankissa in a state of near exaustion. We had not allowed enough recovery time after the flight.

I have clearer memories of visiting Sarnath, Lumbini, and Bodh Gaya.
If you are interested I might find time to write about them.. :smile:

Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

I am sure You would have many more readers (than just me), if You decide to write about Your journey to Sankissa. Make it a really long story, please.
svaha

Return to “Media”