Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Music time
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:11 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:18 pm 

Pete Seeger passed, I grew up with his music. The video also has June Carter and Johnny Cash, they all have passed. Brings back memories of sitting in our living room with my family and their friends with their musical instruments playing these songs. That's how we used to entertain ourselves, we played our own instruments and sang to each other. I couldn't sing, but I could play the heck out of the spoons :tongue:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:38 pm 
Former staff member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:20 pm 

“Don't you know that a midnight hour comes when everyone has to take off his mask? Do you think life always lets itself be trifled with? Do you think you can sneak off a little before midnight to escape this?”
― Søren Kierkegaard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:23 am 
Global Moderator

Akron/Family has some pretty good stuff, their songs have been in a couple movies, IIRC a couple of the guys are Buddhist, in places it's fairly obvious by the lyrics.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:46 am 

The song is Tam Lin, a traditional ballad from the Scottish Border lands. The more well known version was done by Fairport Convention in 1969. This beautiful acoustic version is done by two American singer-songwriters, Anais Mitchell and Jefferson Hamer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:49 am 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:01 am 

“Don't you know that a midnight hour comes when everyone has to take off his mask? Do you think life always lets itself be trifled with? Do you think you can sneak off a little before midnight to escape this?”
― Søren Kierkegaard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:08 am 

― Søren Kierkegaard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:27 am 

This is a nice album with a Buddhist theme. It´s really world music but it could be reminding to think of Dharma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlE3AnI1DrE

https://secure.hamrolist.com/products/423

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:59 am 

George Crumb is a modern classical composer. A piece for piano Makrokomos has twelve parts based on the Zodiac. George Crumb composed two versions of it: Makrokosmos I and Makrokosmos II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:22 am 

A few tunes of different styles here.

Electronic/Not really defined :

Guitar/Rock/Alternative (You have to be patient with this one. It takes a while to start up.) :

Trap Instrumental :

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:13 am 

Apologies for so many tunes, but seeing as I'm (or this pile of fabrications, is, at least.) new to this thread :

Punk :

Metal :

Alternative/Undefined :

Electronic :

Please try not to get attached to any of the tunes I linked, can't be doing with the karma. :sage: (used to play guitar often, so music is kind of part of me.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:31 am 

Last ones. (finishes with a chilled out one.)

Rock/Alternative/Heavy :

Electronic :

Chilled to finish :

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:33 am 

rob h wrote:
Apologies for so many tunes, but seeing as I'm (or this pile of fabrications, is, at least.) new to this thread :

Please try not to get attached to any of the tunes I linked, can't be doing with the karma. :sage: (used to play guitar often, so music is kind of part of me.)

There are probably many people here who have been actively involved in music, and maybe involved for long periods of time. Personally I find that trying to develop meditation requires giving up various things.
When playing music you are very concentrated, concentrated in an emotional way. And it is very hard to give up. But relinguishing music with a motoric rythm, and all the emotions involved with it, seems a necessary step for the development of meditative states, that are by nature very different.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:10 am 

― Søren Kierkegaard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:59 am 

Aemilius wrote:
There are probably many people here who have been actively involved in music, and maybe involved for long periods of time. Personally I find that trying to develop meditation requires giving up various things.
When playing music you are very concentrated, concentrated in an emotional way. And it is very hard to give up. But relinguishing music with a motoric rythm, and all the emotions involved with it, seems a necessary step for the development of meditative states, that are by nature very different.

Yeah I know what you mean, and to be honest I rarely listen to any music nowadays. I just get the urge every now and then, then will listen to some of the tunes that I used to prefer over recent years. Went a bit overboard with the linking of videos back there, but probably won't be posting here much now as I don't have a huge amount of favourite tunes anyway. Electronic is generally what I prefer now, (the first video I linked is probably my current favourite of that bunch.) so will maybe link if I manage to find anything decent in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:36 am 

I think Fanbei (Dharmic Music) is fine. If you can't let go of it in meditation then you're probably not meditating in a very effective way.

Music is a great way to keep your mind on the Dharma, and also to spread the Dharma. It's been used for this purpose since the Buddha's time when King Prasenajit was moved out of pity not to attack Anga, because a monk sung the Dharma to him so beautifully.

I just wanted to share this, it's so beautiful!:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:51 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:27 pm 

BTW, the actual name of the piece is "Sartori in Tangier".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next