Mantra pronunciations

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Mantra pronunciations

Postby JeffC » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:41 pm

I have been thinking about this for a while and figure I'm not the only one...

There are certain mantras which I say every day and I know I'm saying them incorrectly.

I wonder if there are any web resources that teach how to say the mantras correctly?

I do understand that it is the motivation that is important but even so I might as well be saying them correctly.

I have managed to get some downloads of the mantras being recited but I wonder if anyone has produced a type of audio tutorial to help everyone learn them (you know where it says part of the mantra and then gives time for repetition).

The specific mantras I'm concerned about right now are the ones to multiple the effects of the prostrations to the 35 Buddhas (see below).

Do you think there is anything like that? It probably wouldn't be too hard to produce something and I imagine it would be a wonderful benefit to many people.

CHOM DEN DE DEZHIN SHEKPA DRA CHOM PA YANG DAKPA DZOK PE SANG GYE RINCHEN GYALTSEN LA CHAG TSAL LO (7X)

OM NAMO BHAGAWATE RATNA KETU RAZAYA TATHAGATAYA ARHATE SAM YAK SAM BUDDHAYA TAYATHA OM RATNE RATNE MAHA RATNE RATNA BIZAYE SOHA (7X)

Thanks very much,
Jeff
JeffC

Re: Mantra pronunciations

Postby Blue Garuda » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:32 pm

There are Youtube sources, as well as some CD's and downloads but it would be very hard to produce a standard version for all to use.

In addition to pronunciation there are also variations in the wording used.

I don't know if my experience is common, but I've always understood that mantra pronunciation is transmitted from guru to disciple to ensure correctness, and that it is placed within the relevant context.

I know when I look on Youtube or listen to mp3 files that I find variations which are different from that given to me by my lamas.

Having said all that, it would be a wonderful resource if all of the mantras were recorded by a representative of each of the main schools as an archive for reference and download. For some mantras, evidence of having received the relevant empowerment may be required, as it is now by some online sources of sadhanas such as the FPMT.

This site is my favourite mantra site:
http://www.visiblemantra.org/index.html

One wonderful component in any archive must be that of Lama Tashi's Master Chants.
(I believe he is HHDL's own chanting teacher):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oML5UU3jekY

I could immerse myself in these chants for hours. :)
Left
Blue Garuda

Re: Mantra pronunciations

Postby narraboth » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:02 pm

JeffC wrote:The specific mantras I'm concerned about right now are the ones to multiple the effects of the prostrations to the 35 Buddhas (see below).

Do you think there is anything like that? It probably wouldn't be too hard to produce something and I imagine it would be a wonderful benefit to many people.

CHOM DEN DE DEZHIN SHEKPA DRA CHOM PA YANG DAKPA DZOK PE SANG GYE RINCHEN GYALTSEN LA CHAG TSAL LO (7X)

OM NAMO BHAGAWATE RATNA KETU RAZAYA TATHAGATAYA ARHATE SAM YAK SAM BUDDHAYA TAYATHA OM RATNE RATNE MAHA RATNE RATNA BIZAYE SOHA (7X)

Thanks very much,
Jeff

There are two parts, the first part is Tibetan, depends on which accent you think is 'correct'.... But I think it's better to know the meaning of it, I don't believe that you have to chant that part in Tibetan (well, you can if you insist), since it was translated to Tibetan from Sanskirt anyway; Tibetan people didn't think they need to chant it in original language either.

The second part is Sanskirt and it should be recited in Sanskirt. It's always a problem when people use Tibetan alphabets to pronunce Sanskirt, but I think the one you qoute... is OK. Silghtly different, but not too different.
narraboth

Return to Tibetan Buddhism