Advice

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Advice

Postby thornbush » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:18 pm

Say if one encounters someone who has any one of these scenarios or a combo of them and asks you for advice:
1. How to deal with a bodily spiritual possession case?
2. How to deal with a case of 'haunted' premises?
3. How to deal with someone who can perceive the 'unseen' and is disturbed by those 'entities'?

Now, let's not confine ourselves to only recommending medical/psychiatric advice, say after having gone through such procedures and when the medical world proclaims that they had done their best, what would you as a Buddhist (here open to any Tradition) say/do when a case like this falls in your hands?

This thread is seeking for practical steps to reach out a helping hand to such cases and not drown them in our own subjective skepticism or sarcastic analysis and conclusions.
If we can't help them, at least we can recommend them to someone else who can instead of giving them a dismissive attitude that can at times cause untoward, if not disastrous results, depending on the severity of the case.
thornbush

Re: Advice

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi Thorny la,

The first thing that springs to mind is that I would recommend consulting a lama. If a lama isn't available, there are mantras and scriptures that can be of use.

And there are experienced practitioners at places like this who can advise privately, too :heart:
Best to watch for a while and see who seems to be receptive and experienced.

:namaste:
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby sraddha » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:37 pm

thornbush wrote:Say if one encounters someone who has any one of these scenarios or a combo of them and asks you for advice:
3. How to deal with someone who can perceive the 'unseen' and is disturbed by those 'entities'?

Now, let's not confine ourselves to only recommending medical/psychiatric advice, say after having gone through such procedures and when the medical world proclaims that they had done their best, what would you as a Buddhist (here open to any Tradition) say/do when a case like this falls in your hands?

This thread is seeking for practical steps to reach out a helping hand to such cases and not drown them in our own subjective skepticism or sarcastic analysis and conclusions.
If we can't help them, at least we can recommend them to someone else who can instead of giving them a dismissive attitude that can at times cause untoward, if not disastrous results, depending on the severity of the case.

I agree with Drolma there.

Ven. Nagarjuna himself came to Buddhism after being he was being attacked by negative spirits or black magic -- which there is plenty of in old countries (and new countries, not surprisingly, in America as well), and found his refuge in Buddha.

There are various books on "Negs" short for negative spirits, the first book I got was called "Psychic self defense" , I read Tantra books, mantra books--:reading: and it didn't work -- for me atleast.

Sitatapatra practice is the best for evil spirits, black magic!

According to Miranda Shaw in the "Buddhist Goddesses of India", Sitatapatra's mantra is known as the "queen of all knowledge" or Mahavidyarajni. In the Buddhist account of the Mahayana Sutra, "Sitatapatra Sutra", this beautiful and powerful deity materialized from the Buddha's Usnisha in Trayastrimsa Heaven. Her beautiful voice was heard and she greeted the Buddha. Buddha pronounced her role to be " to cut asunder completely all malignant demons, to cut asunder all the spells of others...to to turn aside all enemies and dangers and hatred."

Her beautiful appearance belies her ferocity. Buddha pronounced her, "as a fierce, terrifying goddess, garlanded by flames, a pulverizer of enemies and demons, who manifests in the form of a graceful, beauteous maiden."

She is said to protect from just about any danger one can possibly think of. Naga's, garudas, asuras, wind sprites, kinnara, yaksa, raksasa, preta, pisaca, bhuta, matrka, dakinis and myriad demons that cause memory loss, depression, disturbing dreams, outbursts of temper, untimely death. She also cures one from horrible ailments afflicting every part of the body.

She offers protection against enemies, armies, imprisonment, royal punishment, murder, weapons, poison, quarreling, poverty, famine, wild animals, fire and water.

There are support groups for people suffering from negative spirits and those who are fighting with them, so don't feel like a stranger!
sraddha

Postby thornbush » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:47 am

Wonderful N.Drolma and sraddha,

I was expecting the usual iconoclastic...."I am seeing dead people'" attitude but low and behold... :twothumbsup:
I also read on how Milarepa had such encounters and how he overcame it.

:thanks:
thornbush

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:53 am

thornbush wrote:Wonderful N.Drolma and sraddha,

I was expecting the usual iconoclastic...."I am seeing dead people'" attitude but low and behold... :twothumbsup:
I also read on how Milarepa had such encounters and how he overcame it.

:thanks:

Dear daka la,

Send out some eviction notices. No squatters allowed!

I love the story of Milarepa. I always have. To me it's a story of recovery and it's very inspiring :)

Kindly,
Laura
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby sraddha » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:12 am

No problem, thornbush, been there myself. :smile:
sraddha

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:55 am

thornbush wrote:Say if one encounters someone who has any one of these scenarios or a combo of them and asks you for advice:

1) This is the most serious. I would only let an experienced lama deal with it. Trying to conduct an exorcism as an amateur would be foolish.

Once, I had to opportunity to attend the lectures of a very great Drikung lama. A member of the audience told the lama that he had been having extremely frightening visions of hell-like states because of his previous drug use and asked the lama what he should do. The lama told him to recite the refuge prayer and the long form of the refuge prayer if he knew it (I'm still not quite sure what the long form is). Perhaps these prayers might help in your situation, too.

2) I found this in an article about the Tibetan Buddhist practice of Chöd:
Gods and spirits only come out at night when it’s dark; they are attracted to the smell of burning meat and blood. If you put some medicine, "dutsi men", into the substances that you are burning, they will smell the dharma medicine and immediately bodhicitta will arise in their minds. Otherwise, they have only negative attitudes. Also, you must always recite OM MANI PAMAY HUNG after you make these offerings or offer your body. The final part of chod practice is the recitation of OM MANI PAYMAY HUNG; this brings tremendous benefit to all sentient beings. It is called liberation through hearing, and truly it is.
http://www.bodhicitta.net/Chod.htm

Chöd is a very advanced practice and should not be attempted by someone who hasn't received instructions from a qualified lama, but it does deal with spirits, so you might find some answers to your questions in articles about it.

My other idea is to put some holy Buddhist objects and images in the area and recite the six syllable mantra.

3) Hmm...I don't know. Either try to see the entities as manifestations of your own mind, or use my advice for 1 and 2 above.

May all beings be free from suffering.
OM MANI PADME HUM
Luke

Postby thornbush » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:01 am

Thanks Luke and yes I read about Chod Practice in E-Sangha and it entails more than just sitting in 'occupied' places.
Yes, it's true that neumenonally speaking, there is no Buddha nor even Mara but we are in the phenomenal realm and both are co-dependent on each other in many ways. So as phenomenal creatures, we also need to deal with such stuff with phenomenal expedients. :thanks:
thornbush

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:10 am

Daka la wrote:How to deal with someone who can perceive the 'unseen' and is disturbed by those 'entities'?

With compassion, for they have no form. Sentient beings crave form. This is my understanding, so take it with a grain of salt.

Kindly,
Laura
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:18 pm

thornbush wrote:Thanks Luke and yes I read about Chod Practice in E-Sangha and it entails more than just sitting in 'occupied' places.

Yes, I know. I just thought that you could use the tip about burning meat with dharma medicine in it to put the spirits in a better mood and to show them kindness. Although I'm not quite sure what the substance "dharma medicine" actually is.

Ngawang Drolma wrote:
Daka la wrote:How to deal with someone who can perceive the 'unseen' and is disturbed by those 'entities'?

With compassion, for they have no form. Sentient beings crave form. This is my understanding, so take it with a grain of salt.

Kindly,
Laura

I was thinking exactly the same thing earlier, but I was too embarrassed to write it. I'm glad that someone else here wants to hug a ghost.

It's always good to have someone to love. Meeting a ghost could be seen as an opportunity to show compassion, just like coming across a turtle that is lying on its back.
Luke

Postby thornbush » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:25 am

Luke wrote:
thornbush wrote:Thanks Luke and yes I read about Chod Practice in E-Sangha and it entails more than just sitting in 'occupied' places.

Yes, I know. I just thought that you could use the tip about burning meat with dharma medicine in it to put the spirits in a better mood and to show them kindness. Although I'm not quite sure what the substance "dharma medicine" actually is.

Ngawang Drolma wrote:

Kindly,
Laura

I was thinking exactly the same thing earlier, but I was too embarrassed to write it. I'm glad that someone else here wants to hug a ghost.

It's always good to have someone to love. Meeting a ghost could be seen as an opportunity to show compassion, just like coming across a turtle that is lying on its back.

Heheh, samsarically speaking, I rather hug my cats than casper :rolling:
thornbush

Return to Personal Experience