Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Anything goes (almost).

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby nirmal » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:50 am

Anymore pictures Ogyen? I'd love to look at all of them.
User avatar
nirmal
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Blue Garuda » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:36 am

nirmal wrote:Anymore pictures Ogyen? I'd love to look at all of them.


If they were linked to facebook as mine was linked to photobucket, I see no problem in posting them. I'm not sure if we have a 'clickable' thumbnails facility, but that also works well when scrolling through.

Yes, more pics would be nice - that's what the thread is for. :)
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Su DongPo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Chaz wrote:
Su DongPo wrote:Thank you, Ogyen!


Thanks?


If you scroll up and read a little, you'll see that I was thanking her for thinking of me. Ogyen has been designing malas for her buddies. I think I am one of her buddies :smile: .

I have a slow connection too, but I would like to see the photos in their full glory, even if it means waiting a bit for images to load.

I don't mean to be rude -- really :smile: -- but if you don't want to see the images why bother struggling with this thread?

Metta,
Dongpo
User avatar
Su DongPo
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: Central Taiwan

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Chaz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Su DongPo wrote:I don't mean to be rude -- really :smile: -- but if you don't want to see the images why bother struggling with this thread?


NO offense taken :twothumbsup: .

The reason I try to stay with this thread, despite the awful load of bitmaps to wade through, is because I have an interest in prayer beads generally and malas in particular. I make and restring malas myself (although without the altruism OG excercises) and I have a keen interest in the work of other mala-makers as well.

I'm also a web site programmer who has been at the game long enough to remember days when close attention was paid to image file size and number in order to facilitate fast page loads. For me, if a page doesn't load up in a few seconds, I'm gone.

So, threads like this are important to me, but slow-loading pages I find to be cruel and insensitive to users. I just want the information and for me 1 good image of someone's work is far better than having to wait for a bunch to load up.

But that's just me.
Chaz
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:23 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Ogyen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:42 am

not to be furtherly cruel and insensitive to anyone, :shrug: but once I deleted the links, I'm not spending another two hours copying and pasting each link from each photo. It might have been unkind to you to have to load all those images on your slow internet connection. And for that I apologize. It is equally unkind to ask for them back up after it took me so long to do so in the first place. Now that I know they are not helpful, I have removed them to facilitate discussion of malas, and now that we have the link to the album, people can just copy url themselves into the [img] [/img ] tag for thoughts or feedback on any specific design.

The best solution I see that meets half way is to link to the album I maintain with the total picture portfolio. I find photographing a mala just as artistic an endeavor and expression of its beauty as creating the design to begin with. Clearly, I want no part of annoying anyone else because of something I find a profound practice. It would defeat the spirit of the practice itself.

Please advise if there are any other suggestions on how to handle both the visibility of the work and internet speeds. Linking seemed a fine alternative to me, because if you can't load a page of images in a thread when they're hosted through a social networking service, odds are you can't link to a facebook album easily either and wait for a whole album to load its images. :) That was in point of fact my only consideration of those who couldn't link, it might be easier for a more condensed list of externally hosted images (but less than in an album on FB) so I spent a great deal of time copying and pasting for others to not have to link.

Curious how my intention of kindness was completely read oppositely as cruel and insensitive because of the experience you had in loading the images. I assure you it was the same factual set of phenomena unfolding, just read by different minds. I assume most people's internet connection is probably at least close to mine, I have DSL, upload speed is less than 1 meg. Most Americans have cable, or at least DSL. And it's much faster than my own. It may have been careless to assume most people would have comparable or superior internet speed than my own.

For the record I'd like to note my surprise at the response to what I considered opposite to insensitive as considerate and extra-kind because it was actually intended to help avoid linking to a large album as that can be even tougher for friends with slow net connections. :)

I guess we see what we see and why we practice seeing what we see differently, eh? Clearly I want my action to align with my intention, after what you expressed, I was clarified that my initial intention was not as productive as I'd hoped. So I took your suggestion the best I could with what is available with the tools provided here in posting capabilities available.

Your positive experience here at Dharma Wheel is very important to me. That is why I simply took Chaz' suggestion, in the spirit of helping someone's difficult experience.

Links for your perusing of two of my pastimes malas and sunsets:

My Facebook Mala album: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 361d351726
My Facebook Tremendous Sunsets: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=51 ... &aid=51742

:heart:
xoxOm
D. Ogyen
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive Word Press
Mud to Lotus

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
User avatar
Ogyen
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Chaz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:28 am

You can store your photos in something like Photobucket or Flickr.

These services sometimes allow you to store hi-res images and have tools that produce code for thumbnails you can embed in a web page, blog, etc along with a link to your hi-res image. It also adds the additional benefit to having your images more readily available on search engines like google.

Putting on my 12-years-of-experience-in-web-site-development pants .........

If you want people to see your stuff it behooves you to make it as simple for them to so as possible. Making people wait, especially when it isn't necessary, will generally turn people off and defeat your purpose.

Back in the day, we had a "15-second rule". If a page took longer than 15 seconds to load it was no good. Today we have faster connections but that doesn't mean we should ignore the amount of time it takes for a page to load.
Chaz
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:23 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby nirmal » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:26 am

Ogyen wrote:not to be furtherly cruel and insensitive to anyone, :shrug: but once I deleted the links, I'm not spending another two hours copying and pasting each link from each photo. It might have been unkind to you to have to load all those images on your slow internet connection. And for that I apologize. It is equally unkind to ask for them back up after it took me so long to do so in the first place. Now that I know they are not helpful, I have removed them to facilitate discussion of malas, and now that we have the link to the album, people can just copy url themselves into the [img] [/img ] tag for thoughts or feedback on any specific design.

The best solution I see that meets half way is to link to the album I maintain with the total picture portfolio. I find photographing a mala just as artistic an endeavor and expression of its beauty as creating the design to begin with. Clearly, I want no part of annoying anyone else because of something I find a profound practice. It would defeat the spirit of the practice itself.

Please advise if there are any other suggestions on how to handle both the visibility of the work and internet speeds. Linking seemed a fine alternative to me, because if you can't load a page of images in a thread when they're hosted through a social networking service, odds are you can't link to a facebook album easily either and wait for a whole album to load its images. :) That was in point of fact my only consideration of those who couldn't link, it might be easier for a more condensed list of externally hosted images (but less than in an album on FB) so I spent a great deal of time copying and pasting for others to not have to link.

Curious how my intention of kindness was completely read oppositely as cruel and insensitive because of the experience you had in loading the images. I assure you it was the same factual set of phenomena unfolding, just read by different minds. I assume most people's internet connection is probably at least close to mine, I have DSL, upload speed is less than 1 meg. Most Americans have cable, or at least DSL. And it's much faster than my own. It may have been careless to assume most people would have comparable or superior internet speed than my own.

For the record I'd like to note my surprise at the response to what I considered opposite to insensitive as considerate and extra-kind because it was actually intended to help avoid linking to a large album as that can be even tougher for friends with slow net connections. :)

I guess we see what we see and why we practice seeing what we see differently, eh? Clearly I want my action to align with my intention, after what you expressed, I was clarified that my initial intention was not as productive as I'd hoped. So I took your suggestion the best I could with what is available with the tools provided here in posting capabilities available.

Your positive experience here at Dharma Wheel is very important to me. That is why I simply took Chaz' suggestion, in the spirit of helping someone's difficult experience.

Links for your perusing of two of my pastimes malas and sunsets:

My Facebook Mala album: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 361d351726
My Facebook Tremendous Sunsets: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=51 ... &aid=51742

:heart:
xoxOm
D. Ogyen


Hi there,
You have been making very positive contributions to this site and those contributions have in one way or the other made this site different from the others in terms of diversity.Your contributions are helping to build this house and make the house complete and attractive to visitors and members.We have here what others don't(no pride) because of your talents and and willingness to sincerely share.I'd still love to see them coming.
'Six centuries ago when you were small
You couldn't bear to see a flower fall'
And that sweet nature is still there in you today,Ogyen
User avatar
nirmal
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Su DongPo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:43 pm

I'm still in favor of posting pics in the thread if we can do it without causing anyone much inconvenience. No need to OC to repost the photos she's put and and now taken down, though. I can't see some of the FB collection (though some I can) because I closed my experimental FB account a couple of months ago. But there's no need for others to bend toward my will.

If I get my act together (it's been 52 years, but one never knows :jumping: ), I'll try to photograph some of our bead and pendant collections. It won't be anytime soon, but I think this is a fun way of sharing our common interest.

Thank you for your many contributions here, Ogyen.
User avatar
Su DongPo
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: Central Taiwan

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby nirmal » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:38 pm

Aiya Su DongPo,

52 years of collection! It would be nice to have a look at your collection.

I only collected karma all this while :D.And that also I think somehow got collected by itself. :jumping:
User avatar
nirmal
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Su DongPo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:42 pm

:rolling:

I've only been collecting years and (and karma also) for all of that time. :lol: Did some part-time collecting of beads along the way though.
User avatar
Su DongPo
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: Central Taiwan

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Blue Garuda » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:37 pm

Just bought this one, inlaid bone. eBay won't let me save the pic, so here's a link. :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Mr. G » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:52 pm

Yeshe wrote:Just bought this one, inlaid bone. eBay won't let me save the pic, so here's a link. :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT


The link isn't showing up Yeshe. :(
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Blue Garuda » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:14 pm

mr. gordo wrote:
Yeshe wrote:Just bought this one, inlaid bone. eBay won't let me save the pic, so here's a link. :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT


The link isn't showing up Yeshe. :(


Works for me. Did anything appear? There's afew thumbnails of similar items then if you scroll down you see the one I bought.

I guess it's possible now that it is sold that other people can't see it. :(
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Mr. G » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Ah, it just popped up! That's a nice one! :smile:
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Blue Garuda » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:37 pm

mr. gordo wrote:Ah, it just popped up! That's a nice one! :smile:


Inlaid water buffalo bone.Sprayed with hairspray to protect it from dampness, as bone and copper are not good together. Hairspray invisibly protects bronze, copper and steel from corrosion, a neat jewellers' trick. ;)
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Blue Garuda » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:19 pm

I now also have the Bodhiseed equivalent for non-wrathful practices:

Image

Image
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Mr. G » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:30 pm

I actually want a Jodo Shu Juzu:

http://groups.google.com/group/jodoshub ... c-practise

There's a second ring of beads that acts as a counter. Japanese technology once again shows it's superiority! :lol:
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Jikan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Tendai-style nenju are interesting, in part on account of the flatter, coin-shaped beads. They count easily but they're not particularly comfortable worn on the wrist, and unlike Tibetan-style malas, are not worn around the neck. Solution: less wearing, more practice.

here are examples to give a sense of what I mean.

http://www.yasuda-nenju.com/e_shopping/tendai-idx.html
Jikan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5105
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Blue Garuda » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:33 pm

mr. gordo wrote:I actually want a Jodo Shu Juzu:

http://groups.google.com/group/jodoshub ... c-practise

There's a second ring of beads that acts as a counter. Japanese technology once again shows it's superiority! :lol:


Nah - buy an abacus! :)
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Blue Garuda » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:41 pm

Jikan wrote:Tendai-style nenju are interesting, in part on account of the flatter, coin-shaped beads. They count easily but they're not particularly comfortable worn on the wrist, and unlike Tibetan-style malas, are not worn around the neck. Solution: less wearing, more practice.

here are examples to give a sense of what I mean.

http://www.yasuda-nenju.com/e_shopping/tendai-idx.html


The japa mala, Indian in origin, has 108 beads. Some are discs (say 8x5mm) whilst others are huge Bodhiseeds.

I don't think Tendai has a monopoly on the compact styles. LOL :)
Left
Blue Garuda
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

>