Is this a painting of Milarepa?

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
eddie martin

Is this a painting of Milarepa?

Post by eddie martin »

Hi is this a painting of Milarepa or Green Tara? thanks

http://www.georgiana.net/bilder/program ... Mila-1.jpg
krodha

Re: Is this a painting of Milarepa?

Post by krodha »

Milarepa. There are other paintings of him where he is depicted with green skin as well.

This is the explanation I found:
"At the age of 45, he started to practice at Drakar Taso (White Rock Horse Tooth) cave – "Milarepa's Cave", as well as becoming a wandering teacher. Here, he subsisted on nettle tea, leading his skin to turn green with a waxy covering, hence the greenish color he is often depicted as having, in paintings and sculpture."
eddie martin

Post by eddie martin »

I found out it is Milarepa and i found out the reason he is green.2 of my friends were telling me it was green tara

:smile:
Last edited by eddie martin on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddie martin

Post by eddie martin »

asunthatneversets wrote:Milarepa. There are other paintings of him where he is depicted with green skin as well.

This is the explanation I found:
"At the age of 45, he started to practice at Drakar Taso (White Rock Horse Tooth) cave – "Milarepa's Cave", as well as becoming a wandering teacher. Here, he subsisted on nettle tea, leading his skin to turn green with a waxy covering, hence the greenish color he is often depicted as having, in paintings and sculpture."

Thank you
greentara

Post by greentara »

Its probably a painting of Milarepa and he is a shade of green as thistle soup was part of his diet.
I thought no one could live on thistle soup (no calories) but it must be true as years ago the adventurous traveller Dervla Murphy went to remote areas of Nepal and found poor children living on turnips and when that ran out they subsisted on thistle soup.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

It was nettle soup, not thistle.

The posture also suggests Mila, the hand behind the ear, often explained as his 'listening to the Dakinis.'

ChNN has a different explanation.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Simon E. wrote: ChNN has a different explanation.
:popcorn:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

ChNN asserts that Milarepa was a successful Dzogchen practitioner, a fact played down by Kagyupas over the years, and has suggested that Mila's pose is actually a posture from Longde.

Dan Martin has a paper called 'The Early Education of Milarepa' which gives more detail to Mila's Gurus prior to Marpa. It's very interesting, I have it in PDF if you can't find it.
s.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I've heard that he is applying pressure to a pressure point....whether that is Dzogchen LongDe or some other system I leave to others to parse out.....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Media”