Dark Energy

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
tellyontellyon

Dark Energy

Post by tellyontellyon »

Hiya,
So what is all this dark energy and matter stuff I've been hearing about? Is it somewhere off in space or is it right here with us in our rooms?

Sounds really strange stuff to me? Dark matter and energy must interact a little with ordinary matter for them to have an effect on gravity. Does it interact with 'normal' matter in any other ways?

(Considering there is much more dark matter and energy in the universe, maybe we should call dark matter and dark energy normal!)

Could this dark energy and matter universe have its own beings?

Could we harness dark energy?

Has it relevance for Buddhism?
"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself."
- Rumi
daverupa

Re: Dark Energy

Post by daverupa »

tellyontellyon wrote:Hiya,
So what is all this dark energy and matter stuff I've been hearing about? Is it somewhere off in space or is it right here with us in our rooms?
It can basically be considered to be a cosmological constant, right there with gravity and the strong nuclear force and so forth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25663810
The latest results indicate dark energy is a cosmological constant whose strength does not vary in space or time.

They also provide an excellent estimate of the curvature of space.

"The answer is, it's not curved much. The universe is extraordinarily flat," said Prof Schlegel.

"And this has implications for whether the universe is infinite. While we can't say with certainty, it's likely the universe extends forever in space and will go on forever in time. Our results are consistent with an infinite universe," he said.
A flat universe can have zero total energy (matter and gravity are in balance) and have arisen through a quantum fluctuation of vacuum energy, which a cosmological-constant formulation of dark energy (supported by the above) can count as. The fate of such a universe is heat death.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

I heard the amount of dark energy is increasing. I have to be honest, the whole field of physics is murky to me. :crying:
"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself."
- Rumi
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

tellyontellyon wrote:I heard the amount of dark energy is increasing. I have to be honest, the whole field of physics is murky to me. :crying:
It's murky to physicists too. They are bumping up against imponderables. (What caused the Big Bang? etc.)
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Nobody knows that. I joined a physics forum, and asked the same question, and got that answer. On the philosophy forum I post to, there are always several people who say 'the laws of physics are the only laws in the Universe' as if they explain everything. If I say 'what about the mystery sorrounding "dark energy" ' they just brush it off. 'We'll discover it one day'. Yeah, right. Come back then. :smile:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

I thought dark energy is what they use to explain why all the galaxies are accelerating away from each other instead of collapsing in due to gravity.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

Observations made with the Hubble Space Telescope showed that the expansion of the universe is accelerating rather than decelerating as a result of gravity. Adam Reiss one the Nobel Prize for this. The unknown cause for this acceleration was labeled "dark energy" on analogy with "dark matter," the unobserved matter which only shows through its gravitational effects on the motion of galaxies. There is no commonly accepted explanation of the accelerating expansion of the universe, hence no common definition of what dark energy is. The most conservative explanation is a non-zero value for Einstein's cosmological constant. So dark energy really is nothing more than a question mark or placeholder at this point.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

[quote="tellyontellyon"]Hiya,
So what is all this dark energy and matter stuff I've been hearing about?

Maybe dark energy is the ground of awareness,
and everything else is an object of awareness.
That's my "fantasy theory".
Last edited by PadmaVonSamba on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

smcj wrote:I thought dark energy is what they use to explain why all the galaxies are accelerating away from each other instead of collapsing in due to gravity.
It explains why, when you get older, it takes so much longer to do things
...everything is further apart now than it was when you were young.
:rolling:
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

tellyontellyon wrote:Has it relevance for Buddhism?
No more so than anything else in samsara. It's just more "stuff".

Om mani padme hum
Keith
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

KeithBC wrote:
tellyontellyon wrote:Has it relevance for Buddhism?
No more so than anything else in samsara. It's just more "stuff".

Om mani padme hum
Keith
:good:
Best answer so far.

:smile:
Kim
lesliejoyB

Post by lesliejoyB »

Most people would think bad on dark energy. But, I think it would make balance in the system. It's like the yin and yung that makes balance.
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

What if it doesn't exist?
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

lesliejoyB wrote:Most people would think bad on dark energy. But, I think it would make balance in the system. It's like the yin and yung that makes balance.
"dark" in "dark energy" = "invisible" or "undetectable". It has nothing to to with yin/yang, positive/negative, good/evil, masculine/feminine.

:namaste:
Kim

Return to “Lounge”