Help! New Buddhist!

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
talgar123456

Help! New Buddhist!

Postby talgar123456 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:48 am

Hi everyone,
I set out on my journey with Buddhism just a few moths ago,a nd am doing my very best to lead the right life. But I have a burning question that is halting my understanding - can anyone help:

I understand that all suffering comes from desire, and am trying to work with this - but it contradicts the fact that I have a desire to improve myself as a person and live a better life - but if I have this desire, how can I end my suffering, as I still have desire!!??

Please help. I am currently taking this journey alone, and not sure where to go to find others who can help me.

Ian

Alobha

Re: Help! New Buddhist!

Postby Alobha » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:30 pm

purple planet

Postby purple planet » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:33 pm

Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance

kiwimark

Postby kiwimark » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi Ian
Not all desire's lead to suffering, desire's based on greed hatred & delusion do. But desires based on wholesome states, leading to the development of generosity, renunciation, good will, the noble eightfold path, the seven factors of awakening, should be encouraged. The seven factors of awakening are the kammas that uproot greed, hatred & delusion.
Even the buddha after his awakening desired to help people, and so he established his fourfold spiritual community.
This link is interesting.
www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/tha ... imits.html
:-)

santa100

Postby santa100 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Here's a great sutta that addresses your concern..
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:46 pm

"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" ().

(Buddhist-related blog)
(non-Buddhist related blog)

Kamran

Postby Kamran » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:05 am

In my opinion, it is not skillful to think or intellectualize about where suffering comes from.

Only through meditation can we gain insight into how we cause ourselves to suffer.

" Don’t think. See." - Bhante Gunaratana.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

drifting cloud

Postby drifting cloud » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:35 pm

Just to add to what others have said - a lot of confusion arises among Buddhists (both new and not so new) over terminology like "desire", "mindfulness", etc. In my experience a lot of this confusion is because of how certain technical Buddhist words in Pali or Sanskrit have been translated into other languages, often using very conventional words. The case of "desire" here is a perfect example; the English "desire" doesn't differentiate between tanha and chanda. When in doubt about something like this, it can oftentimes be very....enlightening :sage: to go and check out what words are being used in the original texts and the nuances of those words. What might seem like a logical paradox is very often just linguistic confusion arising from translation.

xtracorrupt

Postby xtracorrupt » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:09 am

theres is no need for needing

villkorkarma

Postby villkorkarma » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Your desire will be less and more less, eventually you are satisfied, your desire is gone
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:53 am

Welcome
Say you have a strong desire (addiction or craving ) for alcohol consumption. Say your drinking habits lead you in to financial distress, problems with social family and job related problems. So you now desire not to desire alcohol and successful with it. Now you are a happy person. Now you end the suffering from financial distress, problems with social, family and job related problems.

Buddhist have the desire to attain Nirvana. But there is no place called Nirvana, There is no person to attain it, there is nothing to be attained!!!!!

Your question is a very good question. Please read attached from chapter 15 onwards.
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”