Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Ogyen

Re: Ogyen's Mala Affairs

Postby Ogyen » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:43 am

this is the green sandalwood restrung into its latest incarnation. Had to take it apart for a friend's mala.

Image Made from 100% recycled karma

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy

Blue Garuda

Postby Blue Garuda » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:09 am

Beautifully balanced. :)

It reminds me of the malas of the Himalayan shamans and American Indian beading.

I understand that HHDL found a common link in some ceremonies and dances when he visited the US. They also apparently share a love of turquoise and coral. I seem to recall it was the Hopi he visited.
Left

Su DongPo

Postby Su DongPo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:19 am

Nice mix of materials. You have a good eye. I love the sandle-wood.

Ogyen

Postby Ogyen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:31 am

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy

Ogyen

Postby Ogyen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:35 am

Ogyen

Postby Ogyen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:38 am

My refuge mala & Tara mala:

Su DongPo

Postby Su DongPo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:18 pm

Thank you, Ogyen!

Chaz

Postby Chaz » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:31 pm

nirmal

Postby nirmal » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:33 pm

I'll say this again Ogyen,you're gifted and talented.The malas are just irresistible.I have two main malas, one made of bones and the other bodhiseeds
Attachments
13122010(001).jpg
13122010(001).jpg (76 KiB) Viewed 1867 times

Ogyen

Postby Ogyen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:30 pm

Ogyen

Postby Ogyen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:32 pm

Blue Garuda

Postby Blue Garuda » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Somebody mention skulls?

I have bone malas and bone malas with carved skulls as well, but these hand malas have seen a lot of use. Each bead is around 1.5-2.0 cms . Not sure what the seed is, though. ;)
Left

Ogyen

Postby Ogyen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:49 pm

Incredible Yeshe. I love the carved seed. I've been thinking at some point when appropriate I will make one of these, I love the seed to bone alternative. They look like carved/shaved rudraksha maybe? I suppose they could be anything tho.

nirmal

Postby nirmal » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:17 pm

Attachments
14122010.jpg
14122010.jpg (87.83 KiB) Viewed 1832 times

nirmal

Postby nirmal » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:20 pm

Chaz

Postby Chaz » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:48 pm

Blue Garuda

Postby Blue Garuda » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:22 pm

Left

Blue Garuda

Postby Blue Garuda » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:36 pm

Left

nirmal

Postby nirmal » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:50 am

nirmal

Postby nirmal » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:42 am

"Got two bone malas from Nepal. Handpicked by my Vajraguru for me.Bones of an enlightened Tibetan lama. We have to be careful when picking such malas as there are many fake ones made from bones of ordinary people.The good ones are very difficult to come by these days. I have opened up one mala and made wrist malas for my very close members.I have about 15 bones left.If you want them, they are yours. Probably meant for you, I don't know. Just PM me your address and I'll post them to you that is if you are interested.[/quote]

For what purpose/practice did your Vajraguru pick these two mala of your's for?

Typically such malas are used only by highly experienced practitioners for certain wrathfull practices under the guidance of their guru. If they are meant for use in some aspect of vajrayana practice I'm not so sure you should even show them in a photograph let alone take one apart, and give away some of the beads.[/quote]

Most for sale are animal bone, especially yak or oxe. Some pretend to be from the skulls of lamas, but very few are so, and these are rarely sold. Authentic ones fetch a huge price if they are sold, but most are given within the lineage.

If given to you by a lama then you are considered advanced enough in practice to handle them with due care. In your circumstances I wouls simply follow what my guru taught about the ways in which you may use them."

"follow what my guru taught" Now,that's a mouthful and words of wisdom.We should always keep in that line of thought and practice.

Return to “Lounge”