analysis behind meditation

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
greentara

analysis behind meditation

Post by greentara »

"Lindsay Gellman reviews an analysis of science behind meditation in the January 6 Wall Street Journal : Meditation has limited benefits, study finds.
As TMFree readers would expect, meditation is not the save-all panacea for which it's marketed.
The majority of studies on Transcendental Meditation (TM) are NOT controlled studies, thus are weak. For example, TM studies do not compare TM with mindfulness meditation, prayer, buddhist chanting, nor with daily napping or exercise"

My 'beef' with the analysis is that it was released by the Wall St Journal. The journal is only interested in hard outcomes and subtleness is indeed foreign to this rag.
Its also hard to take TM seriously as it conjures up people jumping on trampolines and thinking they're levitating!
The biggest problem of all is they see meditation as a product to be marketed.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if in the near future they see Tibetan Buddhist mediation as a brand.
dharmagoat

Re: analysis behind meditation

Post by dharmagoat »

Anything that debunks TM is good news.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Approaching meditation as an isolated desire-driven means to an end, usually a very specific end of new and improved ego, is a great hindrance to any actual benefit for oneself or others. I'm not surprised at all.
Namu Amida Butsu
lesliejoyB

Post by lesliejoyB »

Nice analysis. With meditation, you will be relaxed and think well.

Return to “Lounge”