Rude awakenings

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
greentara

Rude awakenings

Post by greentara »

Reading 'Rude awakenings' by Ajahn Sucitto and Nick Scott. Pilgrimage on foot through India and Nepal, following the Buddha's footsteps, begging food and living the simple life of a renunciate, a genuine seeker. Anyone interested in Buddhism and travelling through India will identify with the chaos, the odours, the ancient temples, the piety, the clanging of bells and the deafening street noise. A colourful, inspirational story that unfolds seamlessly.
Definitely worth a read.
shel

Re: Rude awakenings

Post by shel »

Real life generally unfolds seamlessly, I find.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Oh yeah I've got that on my bedside table. Got it on special a few weeks back and delving into it alongside a few other books. Lovely book, well written and very 'in the moment'.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
greentara

Post by greentara »

I'm well into the book now and Ajahn Succito has come up trumps. A man of compassion, a monk totally dedicated to Buddhism; yet whilst walking through a small village in India he comes across a small shrine to Hanuman, he bows at the shrine. and pays respect to the deity. Upon seeing this an elderly, tear streaked woman approaches him and touches his feet and Succito blesses her and chants a few auspicious verses and sprinkes her with water to lessen the old womans sorrow.
I've always been attracted to a broader, all encompassing spirituality and those that shun a narrow, sectarian approach.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Two incredibly nice blokes. Ajahn Succito served a long term as Abott of Chithurst . Nick contributed hugely to the restoration and health of the forest that Chithurst was given along with the main house.
As you say a great read.
If you can get hold of a copy I would also strongly recommend ' The Long Road North ' by Ajahn Amaro with Nick Scott.
An account of their walk through England. It was though printed in small numbers.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
greentara

Post by greentara »

Thanks Simon, "If you can get hold of a copy I would also strongly recommend ' The Long Road North ' by Ajahn Amaro with Nick Scott" I don't live in England but am sure that a second hand bookshop or(charity shop) might hold surprises.
Rude Awakenings is such a gem of a book. How Nick can plod on with dysentery through rural India is beyond me. I've had severe gastro in India and simply collapsed into my hotel bed and had people bring me food whilst I sooked in third world discomfort. Obviously Nick is mad of sterner stuff then me.
Ajahn Succito writes " But through all of it we gradually sank into the earth, the earth that swallowed excretement and suffered the plough, the mother that produced rice and sugarcane and teemed with humans....." he writes so beautifully

Return to “Lounge”