Buddha - the Movie

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Buddha - the Movie

Postby sraddha » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:22 am

India's award-winning director to make US$42m film about Buddha

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=12,8269,0,0,1,0

Based on the book "Old Path, White Clouds" by Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh, the movie is likely to be the most expensive ever made in Bollywood thus far.

Based on the book "Old Path, White Clouds"? I tried to read that book -- I thought (just my opinion) it was quite boring. :roll:

Any other opinions on "Old Path, White Clouds"? :smile:
sraddha

Re: Buddha - the Movie

Postby thornbush » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:57 am

I hope that this new movie will be better than my last watched Indian movie, 'Asoka' where Shah Rukh Khan acted...
Yes, I heard the book is kinda 'dry' but who knows what the movie will yield....
Ashutosh Gowariker to recreate Life of Buddha
'Ashutosh Gowarikar Again With An Epic'
thornbush

Postby sraddha » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:06 pm

I certainly hope it's better than Ashoka!

Mr. Gowarikar is an above average director, however, Old Path White Cloudss spends all this time with Buddha chillin' with kids...that's not the real story of Buddha. It's like Buddha for 10 year olds! :D
sraddha

Postby thornbush » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:03 am

....however, Old Path White Cloudss spends all this time with Buddha chillin' with kids...that's not the real story of Buddha. It's like Buddha for 10 year olds!

Ah that reminded me of a story..... :reading:
http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/Thus ... nd_Stories
One day, Po Chü-I (a famous poet and official of the T'ang Dynasty), passing along a road, saw a Zen monk seated on a tree branch preaching the Dharma. The dialogue below ensued:

Po Chü-I: "Old man, what are you doing in that tree, in such a precarious position? One misstep, and you will fall to your death!"

Monk: "I dare say, Your Lordship, that your own position is even more precarious. If I make a misstep, I alone may be killed; if you, as a high official, make a misstep, it can cost the lives of thousands."

Po Chü-I: "Not a bad reply. I'll tell you what. If you can explain the essence of Buddhism to me in one sentence, I'll become your disciple. Otherwise, we will go our separate ways, never to meet again."

Monk: "What an easy question! Listen! The essence of Buddhism is to do no evil, do what is good, and keep your Mind pure."

Po Chü-I: "Is that all there is to it? Even a child of three realizes that!"

Monk: "True, a child of three may realize it, but it is not sure that a man of eighty can practice it!"

:tongue: :rolleye:
thornbush

Postby sraddha » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:20 am

I missed that link you posted! Thanks for the youtube! :smile:

Old Path, White Clouds (AH! Here's the "rolls my eyes up" smiley) :roll:

Next they'll make a movie on Deepak Chopra's "Buddha". :shock:

Maybe someday they'll actually make a movie on Buddha from the actual scriptures. :shrug:
sraddha

Postby thornbush » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:29 am

You think they will cast Amitabh Bachan? The 'Maha Brahma' of Bollywood? :jumping:
thornbush

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:28 am

Greetings,

sraddha wrote:Maybe someday they'll actually make a movie on Buddha from the actual scriptures. :shrug:

Sadhu!

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes

Dhamma Wheel (Theravada forum) * Here Comes Trouble
retrofuturist
Founding Member

Postby sraddha » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:45 pm

thornbush wrote:You think they will cast Amitabh Bachan? The 'Maha Brahma' of Bollywood? :jumping:

You mean as "Brahma Sahampati" with a beard requesting Buddha to teach? Nah, that scene isn't in Old Path, White Clouds. :tongue:
sraddha

Postby sraddha » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:49 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

sraddha wrote:Maybe someday they'll actually make a movie on Buddha from the actual scriptures. :shrug:

Sadhu!

Metta,

You can tell how knowledgeable someone is when he writes, "The Great teacher Gautam, whom people affectionately call the Buddha". (Page 1 Old Path, White clouds) :shock:

Er, in the Ariyapariyesana Sutta:, he tells the 4 disciples to not call him by his old name,Gautam, because he is now the Tathagatha.

'Don't address the Tathagata by name and as "friend." The Tathagata, friends, is a worthy one, rightly self-awakened. Lend ear, friends: the Deathless has been attained. I will instruct you. I will teach you the Dhamma. Practicing as instructed, you will in no long time reach & remain in the supreme goal of the holy life for which clansmen rightly go forth from home into homelessness, knowing & realizing it for yourselves in the here & now.'

No disrespect, but this Venerable studies too little. :?
sraddha

Postby thornbush » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:09 am

sraddha wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Sadhu!

Metta,

You can tell how knowledgeable someone is when he writes, "The Great teacher Gautam, whom people affectionately call the Buddha". (Page 1 Old Path, White clouds) :shock:

Er, in the Ariyapariyesana Sutta:, he tells the 4 disciples to not call him by his old name,Gautam, because he is now the Tathagatha.

'Don't address the Tathagata by name and as "friend." The Tathagata, friends, is a worthy one, rightly self-awakened. Lend ear, friends: the Deathless has been attained. I will instruct you. I will teach you the Dhamma. Practicing as instructed, you will in no long time reach & remain in the supreme goal of the holy life for which clansmen rightly go forth from home into homelessness, knowing & realizing it for yourselves in the here & now.'

No disrespect, but this Venerable studies too little. :?

I remember posting such a remark with a Sutta quote on a youtube video who titled his video as 'Happy Birthday, Mr Gautama' and deleted my comment and got lambasted in a private mail for being 'attached to titles' and that was his way of 'expressing gratitude' and 'relationship' to the Buddha. Go figure..... :shrug:
thornbush

Postby sraddha » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:10 am

thornbush wrote:I remember posting such a remark with a Sutta quote on a youtube video who titled his video as 'Happy Birthday, Mr Gautama' and deleted my comment and got lambasted in a private mail for being 'attached to titles' and that was his way of 'expressing gratitude' and 'relationship' to the Buddha. Go figure..... :shrug:

Typical response in a Dharma ending age. The average person, become blind, can't see a human being apart from his skandhas as a human being. So they, not having experienced the Dharmakaya, continue to regard Buddha as a title of a man. Mankind can't comprehend themselves apart from the skandhas, so not understanding, they errantly disrespect Buddha by qualifying him within a historical context as a person born in a certain year, and died in a certain year.
:smile:
sraddha

Return to News & Current Events