Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:40 am 

Hi

Is anyone here familiar with the practice of Thrinley Nyingpo or done the Sadhana Ritual Course in Boudha before ? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:17 am 

Kunzang8 wrote:
Hi

Is anyone here familiar with the practice of Thrinley Nyingpo or done the Sadhana Ritual Course in Boudha before ? Thanks.

Yes, I am familiar with the Trinley Nyingpo, what do you want to know? Haven't done the Sadhana Ritual Course but I am sure it is excellent.

/magnus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:40 am 

heart wrote:
Kunzang8 wrote:
Hi

Yes, I am familiar with the Trinley Nyingpo, what do you want to know? Haven't done the Sadhana Ritual Course but I am sure it is excellent.

/magnus

Thanks for the reply. What are the benefits and aim of the practice? How long is the practice?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:41 am 

The Trinley Nyingpo is part of the Tukdrub Barchey Kunsel cycle from the termas of Chokgyur Lingpa. That cycle is particular powerful for dispelling obstacles to awakening, and I would recommend anyone connect in some way to the blessings of the Chokling tradition. The length of the sadhana depends on how long you want to recite mantras. What is your prior practice experience? I wouldn't necessarily recommend any development stage practice to a beginner. As always, it's best to ask your guru. If the ritual course is at Ka Nying Shedrub Ling, that is the main center for the Chokling Tersar in the world and you can rest assured the course will be excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 am 

Kunzang8 wrote:
heart wrote:
Kunzang8 wrote:
Hi

/magnus

Thanks for the reply. What are the benefits and aim of the practice? How long is the practice?

The benefits are enlightenment or as the Tukdrup Barche Kunsel put it "the dispeller of all obstacles". The sadhana is short and you recite the mantras of Amitayus, Chenresig but mainly focus on Guru Rinpoche.Take maybe 15-20 minutes to do if you want to make it short but there is also a "condensed daily practice" that you could do even faster. But normally people do Trinley Nyingpo practice after Ngöndro as a main practice. The whole cycle of Tukdrup Barche Kunsel, which is the biggest cycle in the Chokling Tersar, contain really many different teachings like Dzogchen, tsa-lung, protectors, Chö and so on. So you could say Trinley Nyingpo, which is like the central sadhana in this cycle, is a key practice in the Chokling Tersar.

/magnus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:01 pm 

Kunzang8 wrote:
Hi

I am somewhat familiar with the practice.

I was staying at Nagi Gompa last year while the ritual course was in progress. I didn't really participate except for a couple of days for the tsog at the very end of it. I believe the participants first had 2 weeks of theory down in Boudhanath, and then 2 weeks up at Nagi where they were instructed in playing the instruments for group and individual practice ("bell puja" and "drum puja"), leading the chants, being chöpön as well as using bell, dorje, damaru etc. They also learned how to make the tormas.

As Magnus says, the root text can perhaps be speeded through in 15 minutes - but that is not how it is taught at the ritual course. There you learn how to do all the lineage chants, extra prayers etc according to the tradition with melodies and all. I rarely speed through that in less than an hour. So the length can be adjusted according to how much time you have.

The teacher was Phakchok Rinpoche's attendant, and British Ani Laura translated. The both did a great job, and the course is very thorough. Unless you have some familiarity with the practice, or sadhana practice in general, it's tough going and a lot to digest - both in terms of theory, but also learning to use the instruments, mudras, tormas, chöpön work etc. Whether you like that or not is an individual matter. I love it! And I love the practice.

/Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:19 pm 

I just finished doing the course this year. For me, it was a very informative and blessing to be able to learn this practice as complete as I did. It was more then just learning the practice. Being able to spend a month in nagi gompa and being able to practice with the nuns there was an amazing experience. I would highly recommend doing this course or any other courses that Phatchok Rinpoche offers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:24 pm 

Going slightly off subject but since the Chokling Tersar is being discussed, I will be in KTM in. March when the Tsekar Drubchen is taking place at Ka Nying Gompa.... Does anyone know where to get a text for this? If not maybe I can ask Ani Laura....also I and my wife would like to spend a couple of days at Nagi Gompa...would this be possible, does anyone know if this would be possible and how to arrange?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:56 pm 

philji wrote:
Going slightly off subject but since the Chokling Tersar is being discussed, I will be in KTM in. March when the Tsekar Drubchen is taking place at Ka Nying Gompa.... Does anyone know where to get a text for this? If not maybe I can ask Ani Laura....also I and my wife would like to spend a couple of days at Nagi Gompa...would this be possible, does anyone know if this would be possible and how to arrange?

Been a very long time since I been to KTM but it used to be possible to buy texts in the Ka-Nying Library. Not sure about Nagi, but you can just go up and ask I guess.

/magnus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:26 am 

You can get the texts in the library, but you'll need to order them in advance of the drupchen. They have a transliterated version prepared, if you can't read Tibetan, but the librarian, Kathy, will need time to make a photo copy for you, because she usually attends the drupchen, which means she won't have time to do it once it begins. So if you're not arriving early enough to ask her in person, contact the office via email and they should be able to put you in touch with her. Or just ask Ani Laura for her email address.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:13 am 

You can just go up to nagi when you want to stay. They should have room.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:52 am 

yegyal wrote:
You can get the texts in the library, but you'll need to order them in advance of the drupchen. They have a transliterated version prepared, if you can't read Tibetan, but the librarian, Kathy, will need time to make a photo copy for you, because she usually attends the drupchen, which means she won't have time to do it once it begins. So if you're not arriving early enough to ask her in person, contact the office via email and they should be able to put you in touch with her. Or just ask Ani Laura for her email address.

Thanks for this. Will do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:52 am 

Rroman wrote:
You can just go up to nagi when you want to stay. They should have room.

Cheers.