Another New Member Says Hello

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Heterodox Garden

Another New Member Says Hello

Post by Heterodox Garden »

Greetings. I have been browsing this board for some time but just decided to join.

I am an American who has been living in Japan for 18 years. I have been studying Buddhism and Shinto formally and informally, on and off, during all this time. I probably should have accomplished more in terms of formal accreditation, etc. during my lengthy stay, but basically I have been content to wander happily among various traditions and practices, getting lost in the arcana of different sects and schools. I suppose I have spent the most time studying the Amidist forms of Japanese Buddhism (Jodo Shu, Jodo Shinshu, Ji Shu, etc.), but I have also tinkered around with Japanese Esoteric Buddhism (Shingon Shu, Tendai Shu, etc.) and spent time studying Nichiren theories. I am particularly interested in heterodox byways (hence my user name :smile: ) such as Shinbutusu-Shugo (combined Buddhism/Shinto) and the intersection of Amidism and Esoteric thought (i.e., Kakuban's writings). For the past 2 years or so I have been especially interested in Kannon (Aveloketsavara) manifestations and sutras in Japanese religious history. The Avatmsaka Sutra remains another abiding interest, although I feel that one could spend many lifetimes studying this beautiful text without even scratching the surface.

As you can see I am a bit of a dilettante (or, perhaps less charitably, a flake... :smile: ), but one of these days I will buckle down and pick a single path. Or maybe not. In the meantime I am enjoying rambling through the peaks and the valleys of theory and practice. I hope to interact with you in the days ahead.

Gassho.
Recommended reading material of recent interest:
写経 仏典を訓読してみませんか
http://gallerynyoze.web.fc2.com/syakyo.html
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Another New Member Says Hello

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:yinyang:
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel! Sounds like an interesting path you've been on. I'm sure your knowledge will be an asset to the forum. :namaste:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
the seafarer

Post by the seafarer »

Hello, nice to meet you HG :smile:
ཁོང་ཁྲོ་སློང་མཁན་མེད་ན། བཟོད་པ་སུ་ལ་སྒོམ།

When there is no one to provoke anger, how shall we practice patience?
lobster

Post by lobster »

:popcorn:

Hi :smile:
Punya

Post by Punya »

Hello and welcome :hi:
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
DGA