Hansan, the honest sage....

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Hansan, the honest sage....

Postby dumb bonbu » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:10 pm

hi folks,
last night i began reading The Collected Songs of Cold Mountain, a collection of poems by the mountain hermit Hansan and was struck by these words in the introduction -

Many Chjinese regard him as a sheng-jen - a sage. Probably he was, but sages are human and thus liable to err. With momentary dissapointment I detected in many of his poems suggestions of un-sage like bitterness. [...]Occasionally he hints at some grave injustice done to him in the past[...]As to beautiful women, he sometimes speaks of them with a bitterness that ill accords Buddhist compassion[...]But his frankness about his own weaknesses points to a virtue highly prized by Buddhists, that of total indifference to praise and blame; it also points towards him having achieved a state at which all serious Taoists aim, that of tzu-jan - complete spontaneity. I confess I was wrong to be dissapointed when first I came upon certain revelations due to Cold Mountain's ingenuous frankness. He was a flesh-and-blood sage, not a bronze or porcelain image
- John Blofeld, Introduction, p.24

which in turn led me back reflect on these words from Ven. Pabhakaro i recently came across -

Honesty to me seems to be one of the most beneficial things that we as human beings can develop. It is one
of the Buddhist perfections - sacca parami - truthfulness or honesty. Whether we consider ourselves spiritual or religious or not, if we aren't honest with ourselves then there is a deception that we pass on to others. It may be very subtle, but if we decieve ourselves how can we not decieve others?
- Seeing the Way: Buddhist Reflections on the Spiritual Life, Chapter 5, p.48

i would like to ask then, how important is honesty to you in your practice? what does honesty mean to you? what difficulties, progress and inspiration have you found as regards honesty with yourself and in your encounters with others? thoughts and comments welcome :thanks:
Although I too am within Amida's grasp,
Passions obstruct my eyes and I cannot see him;
Nevertheless, great compassion is untiring and
illumines me always.
- Shinran

Namu Amida Butsu
dumb bonbu

Re: Hansan, the honest sage....

Postby sraddha » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 pm

I definately agree!

Many people have this preconceived image of a saint -- but, in order to succeed in the Dharma people really need to be honest with themselves and others... honesty itself is a sign of detachment because it demonstrates they are more aware of their feelings, thoughts and weaknesses -- and it all hangs out.

An honest person can never "pretend to be nice", they are who they are, the practice of Buddha Dharma is the realization of how these thoughts arise and how to quell them.

Even then as Buddha Dharma starts working, they truly can say they feel like they have become better people -- and guess what? You can believe them! :smile:
sraddha

Return to Personal Experience