Need help with Translation

This is a space for inquiries about various languages, translations, or anything else related to language.

Need help with Translation

Postby Anicca » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:04 pm

Hello,
I am fairly new to Buddhism but have been enthralled with all that I have learned so far and have realized many of the buddhist philosophies allow me to perceive life in a way that mitigates my suffering and accentuates my appreciation and satisfaction. For a long time I have been attempting to convert the Three Marks of Existence: Anicca, Dukkah, and Anatta into actual script so I could get a tattoo which could serve as a constant reminder when my mind perspectives starts to stray in difficult times. I understand Pali is an oral language so I was hoping someone could accurately translate such marks into devanagari and inform me if there's any significance in terms of where I would place the tattoo and whether I simply place each word under one another or add additional text. I appreciate any help and all expertise as I want to be meticulous in regards to the accuracy and authenticity prior to putting anything on my body. Thank you.

Metta,
Ariel
Anicca

Re: Need help with Translation

Postby dharmagoat » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:20 pm

Here are the Three Marks in Devanāgarī Unicode:

अनिच्चा - aniccā
दुक्ख - dukkha
अनत्ता - anattā

Not all browsers display Devanāgarī correctly, so someone needs to provide an image file to ensure that it appears as it should.

Also there are significant stylistic differences between the various Devanāgarī fonts, so a font needs to be chosen that best suits the application.
Last edited by dharmagoat on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May all beings be happy
dharmagoat

Postby dzogchungpa » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:38 pm

Tattoos are a bit too nicca for my taste.

:smile:
Note that, in the higher tantras, there is talk of a self and an I, even though in the lower teachings the absence of self and the absence of I is what is always proclaimed. - Tony Duff
To educate the educated is notoriously difficult. - Jacques Barzun
སརྦ་དྷརྨ་དྷཱ་ཏུ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔
dzogchungpa

Postby dharmagoat » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:55 pm

From Wikipedia:

Impermanence (Pāli: अनिच्चा aniccā; Sanskrit: अनित्य anitya; Tibetan: མི་རྟག་པ་ mi rtag pa; Chinese: 無常 wúcháng; Japanese: 無常 mujō)

Suffering, unsatisfactoriness (Pāli: दुक्ख dukkha; Sanskrit: दुःख duḥkha; Tibetan: སྡུག་བསྔལ་ sdug bsngal; Chinese: kǔ; Japanese ku)

No-self (Pāli: अनत्ता anattā; Sanskrit: अनात्मन् anātman; Tibetan: བདག་མེད་ bdag med; Chinese: 無我 wú-wǒ; Japanese: 無我 muga)
dharmagoat

Postby dharmagoat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:02 am

Here is a Dhamma Wheel thread that deals with an almost identical request: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4041
May all beings be happy
dharmagoat

Return to Language