need centers in my area

tempuserus

need centers in my area

Post by tempuserus »

why is there no tibetan buddhist center/temple in morgantown wv, it home to the state university. i am sure i am not the only buddhist here, please ssend a ACI teacher here, i am studying ACI internet study and could use a teacher. any answers. :namaste:
DGA
Former staff member

Re: need centers in my area

Post by DGA »

You're in luck: you have an excellent opportunity to study Dharma just down the road from you in Maryland.

http://www.drikungtmc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or you could go up the road to Pittsburgh.

http://www.threeriversdharma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While you're back at home in WV, you can continue your studies online and practice diligently. Here's another opportunity to learn (in case you're curious about the East Asian forms of Vajrayana):

http://www.tendai.eu/82.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's no need to despair. You have opportunities to practice and a desire to do it. What are you waiting for?

***EDIT: I know the OP put this in the Gelugpa sub-forum, and I didn't list a single Gelugpa center or teacher in this post. I regret the omission: it was made out of ignorance of Gelug centers near the OP's hometown.**
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Incidentally, Morgantown looks like it might be an interesting spot after all.

http://morgantown.craigslist.org/grp/2048148860.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

at least interesting things brewing.
kerby

Post by kerby »

You could apply with FPMT to start a study group and they could possibly help.
http://www.fpmt.org/centers/faq.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also a Gelug Center in Cleveland. Jewel Heart
In the land encircled by snow mountains
You are the source of all happiness and good;
All powerful Chenrezig, Tenzin Gyatso,
Please remain until samsara ends.
kittapea

Post by kittapea »

I recently moved to Morgantown and would participate in a study group if one was created. I belonged to a small group in Carrboro, NC and it was quite good. Please post again if you need help in organizing a group.
tempuserus

Post by tempuserus »

thank you all i will flourish as a buddhist one day will get a teacher but for now will do ACI homestudy
kerby

Post by kerby »

I would love to see new Gelug Centers and study groups across America.
That would be great ! I know FPMT starts their centers out as study groups first before becoming a center.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

kerby wrote:I would love to see new Gelug Centers and study groups across America.
That would be great ! I know FPMT starts their centers out as study groups first before becoming a center.
Right now I am driving 5 hours round trip to go to the center in Raleigh,NC. And they have started an additional study group for people on one side of Raleigh to meet.
I would certainly one day like to start a study group in my city.
From what I understand it is important for one to make a connection or contact with LZR first before asking to start a study group. From there, after a probationary
period and some assessment, it is possible to develop into a center.
Shaun
kerby

Post by kerby »

I go to Tse Chen Ling in San Francisco. We used to have Venerable Robina here and a few others who practice in Raleigh, now. Sorry to hear about your commute. Just think of all of the great karma you're creating for your efforts and maybe someday you can start a study group that will blossom into a center. That would be wonderful. :D
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

kerby wrote:I go to Tse Chen Ling in San Francisco. We used to have Venerable Robina here and a few others who practice in Raleigh, now. Sorry to hear about your commute. Just think of all of the great karma you're creating for your efforts and maybe someday you can start a study group that will blossom into a center. That would be wonderful. :D
Thanks, friend for your kind and encouraging words. Yes, the center in Raleigh is especially blessed, has a wonderful community of practitioners, programs, and Sangha. There is much merit being accumulated. I am still relatively new to the center, but I have been strongly drawn to the organization from the beginning. It is unfortunate that in Charlotte, the larger and more cosmopolitan urban center in relative terms, doesn't have more to offer. Here, the tradition not-to-be-named seem to be the only local option in terms of Mahayana/Vajrayana practice. So, I really don't mind the drive and in addition to that I am able to continue my studies in the tradition online. Were Geshe Gelek, Geshe Sangpo, Ven. Lhamo, or Ven. Tendron once affiliated with Tse Chen Ling?

Shaun :namaste:
kerby

Post by kerby »

No. But on the FPMT website you can study many things on-line. We always record our meetings at Tse Chen Ling and put them on the site. Lama Yeshe founded FPMT with encouragement from His Holiness the Dalai Lama after his passing Lama Zopa has continued with this.

I know what you mean about Charlotte and I would be doing the drive to Raleigh, as well for the same reasons. With Raleigh's large population FPMT could easily get a study group started there. I bet there are others who practice in Raleigh who make the drive, also. The Kadampa Center would have info on residents who practice from that area that maybe they would share with you if you ever do want to start a study group in Charlotte.

All of the best to you.
Shane
Josef

Post by Josef »

tempuserus wrote:thank you all i will flourish as a buddhist one day will get a teacher but for now will do ACI homestudy
The FPMT homestudy is a much better option.
I would stay clear of Michael Roach if I were you.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

kerby wrote:No. But on the FPMT website you can study many things on-line. We always record our meetings at Tse Chen Ling and put them on the site. Lama Yeshe founded FPMT with encouragement from His Holiness the Dalai Lama after his passing Lama Zopa has continued with this.

I know what you mean about Charlotte and I would be doing the drive to Raleigh, as well for the same reasons. With Raleigh's large population FPMT could easily get a study group started there. I bet there are others who practice in Raleigh who make the drive, also. The Kadampa Center would have info on residents who practice from that area that maybe they would share with you if you ever do want to start a study group in Charlotte.

All of the best to you.
Shane
I have been a FPMT online student now for several months and I am a member of the Kadampa center in Raleigh. They also have an additional study group on the outskirts of Raleigh of Kadampa center members. One day it would be great if we could get a group in Charlotte. I met some who make a similar drive and one of the elder member from Kadampa center recently moved here. So, keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks,
Shaun :namaste:
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Nangwa wrote:
tempuserus wrote:thank you all i will flourish as a buddhist one day will get a teacher but for now will do ACI homestudy
The FPMT homestudy is a much better option.
I would stay clear of Michael Roach if I were you.
:thumbsup:
kerby

Post by kerby »

There's a new FPMT study group in Youngstown, Ohio. :twothumbsup:
http://fpmt-ohio.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope this helps. It's not too far away.
Caz

Post by Caz »

Good Idea try the FPMT.
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
kerby

Post by kerby »

I agree the FPMT has a wonderful program. You can practice on-line if there are no centers near you. They have spiritual advisors who can help you with any information you might need.
http://www.fpmt.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Gelug”