Finding other Buddhists

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Lamorna

Finding other Buddhists

Post by Lamorna »

I've just moved back to Cornwall, UK after many years away and I would like to join a local Buddhist group. I am just starting out on this path and would like to meet other Buddhists for encouragement and hopefully some good teachings.

I was lucky to receive some teaching from Chamtrul Rinpoche when he visited the UK recently, and I am also studying introductory books on practice by the Dalai Lama, so I have plenty to think about and get on with. However, I am concerned about learning in isolation.

I have studied the list of Buddhist organisations on Buddhanet - it looks like a lot is happening in Cornwall - but I don't recognise any standard schools and I am sure you can understand that I want to tread carefully at first. The New Kadampa Tradition meet regularly nearby but I have found that this tradition is not for me.

I am based in SE Cornwall and would be very pleased if anyone could recommend any groups/meetings within striking distance that they have personally heard are beneficial. :thinking:
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: Finding other Buddhists

Post by Seishin »

SE Cornwall is a big place (love it by the way :twothumbsup: ) Could you give us the nearest town?

Gassho,
Seishin
Lamorna

Post by Lamorna »

My nearest town is Liskeard.
IdleChater

Post by IdleChater »

This link shows 9 Buddhist groups in Cornwall:
http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/province. ... ince_id=93
Lamorna

Post by Lamorna »

Many thanks for the list of groups from Buddhanet. :thanks: Unfortunately I have already studied this list, but got nowhere. The groups either meet in the evening near Penzance (a long way from here and impossible to get to after work) or are controversial organisations that people warn you about or are just names and telephone numbers without much background information.

I am sure you understand that I would not feel happy arranging to meet up with a person who put their name and phone number on the web without finding out a bit about their group activities first, especially when they are not associated with a well known organisation.

It would be really helpful if anyone had personal experience of Buddhist groups meeting in Cornwall and could tell me a bit about them.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

It certainly looks like there's not much near you. If no-one else on hear can provide suggestions then maybe bi-annual retreats will be your thing. That way you can practice in-depth with a reputable teacher.

Gassho,
Seishin
IdleChater

Post by IdleChater »

Lamorna wrote:Many thanks for the list of groups from Buddhanet. :thanks: Unfortunately I have already studied this list, but got nowhere. The groups either meet in the evening near Penzance (a long way from here and impossible to get to after work) or are controversial organisations that people warn you about or are just names and telephone numbers without much background information.

I am sure you understand that I would not feel happy arranging to meet up with a person who put their name and phone number on the web without finding out a bit about their group activities first, especially when they are not associated with a well known organisation.

It would be really helpful if anyone had personal experience of Buddhist groups meeting in Cornwall and could tell me a bit about them.
The chances of someone on this board having first-hand experience about Buddhist groups in Cornwal are slim to none.

If you're not willing to take a chance on "controversial", or home-based groups in your area, you may be outta luck.

Sorry.

That doesn't mean you can't still be a Buddhist or have Buddhist friends. Find a suitable group as close as you can manage and meet with them as often as practical.
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

Is there nothing suitable in either Saltash or Plymouth? Either of these would be easier to get to from Liskeard. Just wonderin'
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Lamorna

Post by Lamorna »

I can't spot anything suitable on the internet in Plymouth or Saltash, Qing Tian.

I moved house a few months ago and am just starting to go out and make friends locally. I wanted to prioritise finding a Buddhist meeting before getting tied up in other commitments. Maybe I'll just have to accept there is no local group at present - however, I live in hope :smile:

Thanks for reminding me about retreats, Idle Chater - I should keep an eye open for what might be helpful teaching for my current level of understanding.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Hi, Lamorna,
Another strategy is to locate local yoga or tai chi groups and ask them about Buddhist groups since the same kinds of people frequent both.
And if they say there's nothing like what you want, you may find it worthwhile joining one of them to get to know like-minded people ... and it will be good for your health as well. :smile:

:namaste:
Kim
philji

Post by philji »

Speak to Jamie or Pema at Garuda Trading...see their website. They are one of the best Dharma trading companies in the world and very committed dharma practitioners. I am sure they will be able to help as they are in Cornwall.
Seicho

Post by Seicho »

If nothing shows up you could always try advertising for other Buddhists, if you'd like. You may be able to start up a meditation/practice group with other Buddhists who are in your situation. In our Tendai groups we often have Buddhists from other schools who are simply too far away from where their school meets or just Buddhists that aren't currently part of a school or group. You can make a group like that work quite well, and you can go crazy and invite different teachers to come give a talk about something.

Best of luck!
Lamorna

Post by Lamorna »

Many thanks for all of your suggestions. :twothumbsup:
Lucy_09

Post by Lucy_09 »

Nice post!

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”